Are these ROHRIG decks legit ?

Le Fanu

I have the original BlueStar version, plus the large English language version(Fool box) and - because of the rarity, not wanting to take it out and about etc - I have a couple of the Spanish versions for everyday use.

They are fine in terms of size and the legibility of the handwriting. As the titles are in Spanish I depend more on the texts and translations in the actual cards to verify which card I'm looking at sometimes. The handwriting really is fine. Do you have the Spanish one, Elkins? I'm surprised at what you say as it's perfectly readable on the Spanish version.

Elkins

Oh! No, sorry, I was still caught up in an earlier stage of the conversation and thinking about the terrible bootlegs. One of my housemates has one of those Ebay Rohrigs, and the combination of the small size and low quality printing really does render it illegible. The only other edition I'm familiar with is a German language deck that an old college friend of mine used to have, and I remember it being quite large (certainly too large to be comfortable for my ridiculously tiny hands!). That contrast with the much smaller bootleg made me think about the extent to which the nature of the artwork probably influenced the decision to go for that large size in the first place. I do think its a style that dictates some generosity in sizing. But while I've not seen the Spanish edition, I have confidence that the Spanish publisher would have taken legibility into account and not scaled their edition down too far to be read.

Sorry, I think I just did the on-line equivalent of letting ones thoughts wander during a dinner party and then allowing some stray overheard partial sentence lure one into rejoining a conversation that has since moved on. I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I've a terrible habit of doing that in real life, too.

Le Fanu

oh no, it needs to be an authentic version. Lack of legibility would come from general fuzziness and I agree - you need to be able to read the script and scribblings and calligraphy. The Spanish edition is legit and can be used as easily as the full size version. It's just easier to shuffle.

All those Ukrainian decks on ebay really bother me - Rohrig, Buckland Romani, Arcus Arcanum, Sola Busca - all the rare ones for unsuspecting buyers to part with their money. I'm all up for supporting Ukranian industry and exports but they have to be legitimate!

G6

COMPARISON PICS

This is the original English Bluestar Communications version and the Spanish EditoralSirio version (trimmed).

The Spanish version is more blue/contrasty/darker/less clear.

PICS (In tungsten light bit yellowish on the original).

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 151

ana luisa

This is the original English Bluestar Communications version and the Spanish EditoralSirio version (trimmed).

The Spanish version is more blue/contrasty/darker/less clear.

PICS (In tungsten light bit yellowish on the original).

WOW ! Thank you for posting this !!! That's a HUGE difference :bugeyed: But the images in the Spanish version look nice to me so, that's all good ! :) I like contrasty pics !

G6

WOW ! Thank you for posting this !!! That's a HUGE difference :bugeyed: But the images in the Spanish version look nice to me so, that's all good ! :) I like contrasty pics !

For $13 you can't go wrong, enjoy! :)

Elkins

That was really helpful, G6. Thank you!

Sibylline

The English companion book has full page and full color images of the cards. I have the Spanish version, but I got the companion book for the large format USA edition. The images in the book help me see all the little details on the cards. Purchased a brand new copy of the book for $4 from a third party seller on Amazon.

Achlys

Thanks for the link. The listed price for just the deck looks like 45 Swiss francs, but I don't know how much shipping would add. That's about $44.50 USD at the current exchange rate, not outrageous. I could be tempted.
The shipping to America brought the price up to $90