Celtic Cross reading

Sydkid182

Hello! I've found myself in a sticky spot lately, i'm stressed and I figured a good reading would bring some insight. Im using the rider waite tarot deck.

Card 1, You/situation: Magician. I've been contemplating what to do with my life. Dipping my toes into new things, branching out and finding new friends and endevours to explore.

Card 2, positive aspect of 1: 8 of pentacles. I've been at work with my music, artwork, yoga, trying to find my passion! I began a new job waiting tables where I'm making $$$

Card 3, negative aspect of 1: (R) Empress. I'm doing too much at one time, i feel pressured to have my life together and i'm losing touch with my needs. I'm doing too much at once.

Card 4, root/basis/support: Devil. I have the mindset of 'once i get to this point ill be happy', i have crazy ideas about my future. I want to move to NYC, be a singer, model, photographer. Its too much! I'm being driven by superficial reasons/pressures/desires. Driven by desire.

Card 5, crown/opportunity/trend: 7 of wands. I strive for happiness, success, and control. I have a vision of what I want for myself and I've been working hard to achieve it.

Card 6, the past/what is already there: 8 of Wands. Determination, devotion, movement, energy. I've been doing this for a while. I had my heart broken last year and since then I've been striving to make something of myself since my relationship made me feel like I was weak.

Card 7, something new: (R) 3 of swords. the heartbreak card, my heartbreak isn't new. Its actually getting really old and I'm fed up with it. In the reversed position, could indicate forgiveness/release of the pain. thank god.

Card 8, summary of 1-7/inner strength/subconscious: The Lovers. In a nutshell, my heart was broken and to cope I worked, went to school, started singing in a band. I went searching for myself and what I loved. I tried to fill the void. What do I want for myself? What type of person do I want to be? I found new friends and reconnected with old ones. I made choices for myself to find myself. I'm re-evaluating my beliefs about my life and myself. I just want to be happy, and the only way I can do that is to find what makes me happy.. and do it!

Card 9, hopes and fears: (R) Ace of Swords. I want to know all of the answers. I want my mind to be sharp and ready for anything. I want my creativity to burst out of me! I fear confusion and instability.

Card 10, environment and external influences/your role as seen by others: Knight of Cups. Getting too ahead of myself and I need to chill and take things one day at a time.

Barleywine

Since Cards #2 and #3 seem to be two cards in the same position, both modifying Card #1, I'm coming up one position short in the total and can't envision what the overall layout looks like. If you could clarify, I'll offer comments on the spread.

Sydkid182

Since Cards #2 and #3 seem to be two cards in the same position, both modifying Card #1, I'm coming up one position short in the total and can't envision what the overall layout looks like. If you could clarify, I'll offer comments on the spread.

what is it you need clarification on? Card one is you, and card 2 and 3 are positive/negative aspects of the current situation

Barleywine

The usual sequence is:

In the "cross" section:

Significator (You) Not everybody uses one.
Covering (Card 1, the present situation; the "heart of the matter")
Crossing (Card 2, challenges, obstacles)
Beneath (variously numbered, Foundation)
Behind (variously numbered, Past)
Above (variously numbered, Present in my method; aka "opportunity" or "best possible outcome")
Before (usually Card 6, Near Future)

In the "staff" section:

Self, Fears, Advice, take your pick (Card 7)
External Influences or Other People (Card 8)
Hopes (Card 9 aka "Hopes and Fears")
Outcome (Card 10)

If you can help me tie your positions to these, I'll give an interpretation.

headincloud

Card 1, You/situation: Magician. Focused energy directed at learning new skills.

Card 2, positive aspect of 1: 8 of pentacles. Perfecting skills or training for a job.

Card 4, root/basis/support: Devil. Could be pointing at self sabotage paired with the 7S which is interfering with the magician and the 8W.

Card 5, crown/opportunity/trend: 7 of wands may be the loss of the lover indicated in knight C and the fact this still bothers you. Also applying strategy to your situation to explore your options and branch out.

Card 6, the past/what is already there: 8 of Wands. Determination, devotion, movement, energy.

Card 7, something new: (R) 3 of swords. Getting to the heart of the matter, release.

Card 8, summary of 1-7/inner strength/subconscious: The Lovers. Choices around what you're applying the energy of the magician towards.

Card 9, hopes and fears: (R) Ace of Swords. Strength in adversity, you've come through a difficult yr.

Card 10, environment and external influences/your role as seen by others: This is likely a creative project tied into a job in the magician and 8P, there may be an offer of some kind in the nr future.

Sydkid182

The usual sequence is:

In the "cross" section:

Significator (You) Not everybody uses one.
Covering (Card 1, the present situation; the "heart of the matter")
Crossing (Card 2, challenges, obstacles)
Beneath (variously numbered, Foundation)
Behind (variously numbered, Past)
Above (variously numbered, Present in my method; aka "opportunity" or "best possible outcome")
Before (usually Card 6, Near Future)

In the "staff" section:

Self, Fears, Advice, take your pick (Card 7)
External Influences or Other People (Card 8)
Hopes (Card 9 aka "Hopes and Fears")
Outcome (Card 10)

If you can help me tie your positions to these, I'll give an interpretation.

okay deal. although, I didn't do an outcome card! I got this spread out of a book I had and thats what it gave me! thank you!

the significator - magician
covering - 8 of pentacles
crossing - (r) empress
beneath - devil
behined - 8 of wands
above - (r) 3 of wands
before - 7 of wands
self/fears/advice - lovers
external influences - knight of cups
hopes - (r) ace of swords
outcome -

Sydkid182

Card 1, You/situation: Magician. Focused energy directed at learning new skills.

Card 2, positive aspect of 1: 8 of pentacles. Perfecting skills or training for a job.

Card 4, root/basis/support: Devil. Could be pointing at self sabotage paired with the 7S which is interfering with the magician and the 8W.

Card 5, crown/opportunity/trend: 7 of wands may be the loss of the lover indicated in knight C and the fact this still bothers you. Also applying strategy to your situation to explore your options and branch out.

Card 6, the past/what is already there: 8 of Wands. Determination, devotion, movement, energy.

Card 7, something new: (R) 3 of swords. Getting to the heart of the matter, release.

Card 8, summary of 1-7/inner strength/subconscious: The Lovers. Choices around what you're applying the energy of the magician towards.

Card 9, hopes and fears: (R) Ace of Swords. Strength in adversity, you've come through a difficult yr.

Card 10, environment and external influences/your role as seen by others: This is likely a creative project tied into a job in the magician and 8P, there may be an offer of some kind in the nr future.

thank you for your interpretation! could you clarify on the self sabotage? are there any indications on how to avoid that? I think it may be that I work everyday and put a lot on myself at once.

headincloud

thank you for your interpretation! could you clarify on the self sabotage? are there any indications on how to avoid that? I think it may be that I work everyday and put a lot on myself at once.

Not from this spread but you could address a question or spread devoted to self sabotage for further insight.

Barleywine

The most interesting thing I see here is that the Significator is followed by three Earth cards, which are then followed by three Fire cards, suggesting efforts to "break the mold" or get "outside the box." Reinventing yourself gets off to a fast start with the 8 of Wands, bog down with the 3 of Wands rx, and winds up -at least in the near term - in a struggle against odds with the 7 of Wands. The best thing about the 7 of Wands - beside the protagonist holding the high ground - is that it represents a "test" that heralds a new direction.

I think the Empress rx is showing her frustration with the dull routine implied by the 8 of Pentacles, even if the Magician is perfectly suited to the task at hand (two Mercury cards together). The Devil is whispering in her ear to just toss it all.

The Lovers shows an idealized state of harmony that may not be realistic. Scratch the surface and you find the need to make some important choices.

The main concern I see with the Knight of Cups is that he has himself convinced everything is wonderful. In this position, it might show someone egging you on.

The Ace of Swords rx makes me think of the Sword of Damocles, hanging by a thread over the head of the Knight of Cups. If he neglects the message of the Lovers, he might bring it down on himself. In more practical terms, the Knight of Cups may want to "let the good times roll," and may disregard an important decision that arose from the Lovers and is waiting for him to notice it. Interestingly, the Lovers corresponds to the Hebrew letter meaning "sword," so the Knight of Cups is caught in the middle of a mental quandary, hemmed in by Swords energy. I think this is saying pay attention to the details and don't get too casual or sanguine about your future.

Since you don't have an outcome card, I took a look at the quintessence. There are a couple of ways to calculate it: one with the Knight of Cups included and one without. Doing it the first way (and subtracting the reversals), I come up with the Hierophant, which makes me think your initiative will fall short and you'll wind up "back in the fold" of a more conventional existence. This is more the "Taurean" expression of Venus, which is interested in security and comfort. Without the Knight of Cups, I get Justice, which is the "Libran" expression of Venus that is more interested in harmony, but the other side of Justice is Saturn, the severity offsetting the mercy. It seems to be saying that you will get exactly what you deserve - no more and no less - depending on how well you fight the battle of the 7 of Wands.

So the 7 of Wands seems to hold the answer; everything after that is just maneuvering.

Sydkid182

The most interesting thing I see here is that the Significator is followed by three Earth cards, which are then followed by three Fire cards, suggesting efforts to "break the mold" or get "outside the box." Reinventing yourself gets off to a fast start with the 8 of Wands, bog down with the 3 of Wands rx, and winds up -at least in the near term - in a struggle against odds with the 7 of Wands. The best thing about the 7 of Wands - beside the protagonist holding the high ground - is that it represents a "test" that heralds a new direction.

I think the Empress rx is showing her frustration with the dull routine implied by the 8 of Pentacles, even if the Magician is perfectly suited to the task at hand (two Mercury cards together). The Devil is whispering in her ear to just toss it all.

The Lovers shows an idealized state of harmony that may not be realistic. Scratch the surface and you find the need to make some important choices.

The main concern I see with the Knight of Cups is that he has himself convinced everything is wonderful. In this position, it might show someone egging you on.

The Ace of Swords rx makes me think of the Sword of Damocles, hanging by a thread over the head of the Knight of Cups. If he neglects the message of the Lovers, he might bring it down on himself. In more practical terms, the Knight of Cups may want to "let the good times roll," and may disregard an important decision that arose from the Lovers and is waiting for him to notice it. Interestingly, the Lovers corresponds to the Hebrew letter meaning "sword," so the Knight of Cups is caught in the middle of a mental quandary, hemmed in by Swords energy. I think this is saying pay attention to the details and don't get too casual or sanguine about your future.

Since you don't have an outcome card, I took a look at the quintessence. There are a couple of ways to calculate it: one with the Knight of Cups included and one without. Doing it the first way (and subtracting the reversals), I come up with the Hierophant, which makes me think your initiative will fall short and you'll wind up "back in the fold" of a more conventional existence. This is more the "Taurean" expression of Venus, which is interested in security and comfort. Without the Knight of Cups, I get Justice, which is the "Libran" expression of Venus that is more interested in harmony, but the other side of Justice is Saturn, the severity offsetting the mercy. It seems to be saying that you will get exactly what you deserve - no more and no less - depending on how well you fight the battle of the 7 of Wands.

So the 7 of Wands seems to hold the answer; everything after that is just maneuvering.

woah this is an awesome interpretation. thank you! its very spot on. Especially the part concering the empress and the devil. Currently, i'm secure. But I'm bored of it. I feel like i'm missing something. a few questions:
what lies in the 7 of wands? what is this 'test' or battle? please tell me more about what this card is saying specifically.
Also, with the Knight of Cups, in what way will someone be egging me on?