The 5 Element Spread

Wimsaur

ff6d2dd6c2537a7239b6baac128b8e09.jpg

This spread can be used to answer a single question or to continue along that question’s topic by stacking cards.

Shuffle the deck in a bridge shuffle 3 times while asking your question. *This can be done in your mind (directed toward the cards) or out loud as you will.

1. *The first card you draw is placed at the*Spirit Point which is located at the top of the spread. *This card embodies the answer to your question. *It can be regarded as a complete answer that may be very clear in and of itself. *As it represents the Spirit, it represents the sum of your question containing all the elements of the answer. *From here it is your choice to draw the four remaining cards should this answer not be clear enough. *If I draw a card that is clear for my answer, I generally do not bother pulling the element cards.

2. *The*Fire Point is located on the lower right point. *It represents will, activity, and in some cases the root of a matter (depending on the context of the question).

3. *The*Water Point is located on the upper right point. *It represents emotions and the creative process.

4. *The*Air Point is located on the the upper left point. *It represents the intellect, learning, education, analytical mind, and communication.

5. *The*Earth Point is located on the lower left point. *It represents the physical world, your body, and the mundane world.

The Element cards can be thought of as components of the Spirit. *Thus, they are pulled in the order given representing their ascent from Spirit into Matter.

In addition to asking questions, this spread is very good at giving a snapshot of the soul. *Thus, you can use this spread to get a sense of who you are and why you do things.

This spread will give you answers about other people; but it is my hope that this spread will help people learn about themselves.

Barleywine

I can see that using the hexagram with the "central Sun" dispenses with the need to grapple with the "Wheel of the Zodiac" and "Primum Mobile" concepts when trying to accomplish the same thing with the Tree of Life spread. And it does stick to the traditional seven "planets" of astrology. My purpose was slightly different, looking at the situation from a less exalted, more mundane perspective. I've been gravitating toward a more "action-and-event" oriented approach to tarot (at least in practical reading) as distinct from a psychological or spiritual basis.

Wimsaur

I can see that using the hexagram with the "central Sun" dispenses with the need to grapple with the "Wheel of the Zodiac" and "Primum Mobile" concepts when trying to accomplish the same thing with the Tree of Life spread. And it does stick to the traditional seven "planets" of astrology. My purpose was slightly different, looking at the situation from a less exalted, more mundane perspective. I've been gravitating toward a more "action-and-event" oriented approach to tarot (at least in practical reading) as distinct from a psychological or spiritual basis.
That's why I use the formula of the 5 Elements: for mundane matters.

;-)