Please Help...Confused by the Grand Ettiella (Egyptian Gypsies Tarot)....

Tarot dance

Moderators I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place

HI Folks,

I was busy and unable to find time but now I do have time and I have resumed my pulling a card for the day & since I have 197 decks I have been using decks I have, either not used in years, or decks I have but never used.

One of those that I have never used is the Grand Etteilla (Egyptian Gypsies Tarot). I have always loved the artwork but have never used it for readings…so I was really looking forward using the deck for my Daily Draw…

This is where my confusion comes in. My Daily Draws I use to further my studies of tarot…I do not ‘read’ the card I draw as I world in a reading for someone else… It is not about what I ‘feel’ is the card’s meaning, what my intuition tells me about that card or even past knowledge I have always associated with the selected card (either in the tradition of R/W/S or Thoth decks)…In my Daily Draws I use either the LWB or whatever book came with that deck…

So using the Grand Etteilla I pulled Card #13 which has the keyword being Marriage and reversed it is labeled Love Affair I have always seen card #13 as the Death card as in both the R/W/S & Thoth traditions

Now, my confusion comes when I looked in the Grand Etteila's LWB…Card 13 is listed as The High Priest and but is associated with marriage or a love affair with its ups & downs….

Judgement is card #9 but in the LWB it is listed as Solomon and represents Justice and all that result from good & bad….In the R/W/S Judgement is card XX and for Thoth card #20 is The Aeon

Card #15 instead of being the Devil (as in both the R/W/S & Thoth decks) is Sorrow with the LWB listing it as Aaron & the card represents physical & moral health

So I am confused...why are the keywords stating one thing and the LWB giving them another separate title,...

I was just hoping someone familiar with the Grand Etteilla could lend some insight...

Thank you in advance

3ill.yazi

The Etteilas are numbered differently and don't match up evenly with RWS. For one, it's an earlier system, and two, there are differences between Etteila decks.

Best to not to try to find analogies with RWS. Or Thoth, but I have little experience with Thoth, so I'm guessing there, simply because it also came later. For instance, reversals are quite different, and might mean something completely different from upright, or just have a shade of difference.

I found this site very helpful.
http://etteillastrumps.blogspot.com.ar/2012/05/introduction.html?m=1

gregory

The Grand Etteilla is a whole different kettle of fish. I gather you have the LWB. Isn't it FUNNY ? :D

Pinched from a website: Alliette, who created it, devised his own "rectified" Tarot deck, which had some unorthodox changes did not catch on.

He added cards for each of the elements, assigned card number 1 to be the male significator and 8 to be the female significator, assigned zodiac symbols and upright and reversed interpretations to each card. The interpretations are purely predictive in nature and some of them are VERY odd.

You might find this helpful: also this and this - even though it is about the Lo Scarabeo reprint.

and this - I am not sure I APPROVE of their having digitised it, but as they have...

Tarot dance

...Thank you both so much

.........Now I am really curious about the deck

AnemoneRosie

I play with this deck as an oracle. It's just an intuition exercise, for me, and cannot be related to any system.

gregory

Never mind the deck - assuming you have the right one - read the LWB from cover to cover. It's PRICELESS. Yours cannot be the Grimaud deck ? GOD what you are missing... you were looking at card 13: let me quote for you... })
N° 13
THE HIGH PRIEST
Marriage either for you or for one of your relatives. This marriage will please you.
It n° 13 is upside down, the person you love will marry someone else causing you great grief. Next to n° 18, the person you love will betray you. The person in whom you confide will deceive you with the person you 'love.
Next to n° 14, which follows next, be careful of a dark person with whom there is talk of your marriage. Infidelity will occur.
If n° 13 is next to n° 70, your marriage which is about to happen or has already taken place will be successful and your children will be rich.
15:

N° 15
AARON
Upright n° 15 predicts an illness that will cost considerable money without efficacity. Finally a faith-healer will restore your health for a long time by a simple remedy.
Upside down the card of Aaron, means mental illness, dizziness and fits of nerves and worries.
Next to n° 17, there is fear of death.
It n° 15 is nest to n° 18, it predicts that you will be betrayed and deserted causing much grief. Unexpected events will partly ruin your fortune and cause a position of embarrassment. People thinking that you are ruined will begin to criticize you and your friends fearing the burden of having to support you, will let you down. All this will lead you towards depression and disappointment with people.

This LWB is my absolute favourite of ALL TIME ! (But I wouldn't USE it....) Oh and yes, it is CRAWLING with misprints. Which adds to its charm.

gregory

Oh god, this one is even better:

N° 10
THE ANGEL OF THE APOCALYPSE
The Angel of the Apocalypse predicts nothing bad if it is upright. Nevertheless exercise sobriety ; put water in your wine ; avoid overeating for you will be faced with death after a feast.
Upside down this card predicts a grave illness either for yourself or someone near you, and it will be necessary to prepare for a funeral.
Next to n° 47, this card predicts a bad dinner in a restaurant which will make you ill.
Next n° 45, beware of eating mushrooms and also mussels should the angel of the Apocalypse be upside down.
If n° 10 card is next to n° 25 you will receive a letter from someone who is dear to you.

Richard

I play with this deck as an oracle. It's just an intuition exercise, for me, and cannot be related to any system.

Yes. Probably most people regard it that way.

It can be confusing to compare it to more conventional decks, such as Waite, Thoth (Crowley), or even the earlier Tarot de Marseille and traditional Italian decks, although a few of the Waite images were derived from those of Etteilla. I have a copy of the Grimaud Grand Etteilla (as well as the Book of Thoth Etteilla), but my interest in the deck does not go beyond an appreciation of its aesthetic qualities. I am constitutionally unable to use it for divination. (Among other things, I have a severe allergy to upside down cards. :mad:)

Tarot dance

Never mind the deck - assuming you have the right one - read the LWB from cover to cover. It's PRICELESS.This LWB is my absolute favourite of ALL TIME ! (But I wouldn't USE it....)

...Thank you Gregory....See that was what exactly through me off....

N° 10
THE ANGEL OF THE APOCALYPSE
The Angel of the Apocalypse predicts nothing bad if it is upright. Nevertheless exercise sobriety ; put water in your wine ; avoid overeating for you will be faced with death after a feast.
Upside down this card predicts a grave illness either for yourself or someone near you, and it will be necessary to prepare for a funeral.
Next to n° 47, this card predicts a bad dinner in a restaurant which will make you ill.
Next n° 45, beware of eating mushrooms and also mussels should the angel of the Apocalypse be upside down.
If n° 10 card is next to n° 25 you will receive a letter from someone who is dear to you.

...I was going through the LWB & trying to equate the LWB's definitions with the cards....I mean...Beware of eating mushrooms....THAT'S THE BEST....I am going to go through the LWB end to end today....thank you

...Thank you AnemoneRosie....I am going to send you a PM so we can chat about how you use the deck as an oracle....I really love the deck and rally want to use for readings somehow....

Yes. Probably most people regard it that way.

It can be confusing to compare it to more conventional decks, such as Waite, Thoth (Crowley), or even the earlier Tarot de Marseille and traditional Italian decks, although a few of the Waite images were derived from those of Etteilla. I have a copy of the Grimaud Grand Etteilla (as well as the Book of Thoth Etteilla), but my interest in the deck does not go beyond an appreciation of its aesthetic qualities. I am constitutionally unable to use it for divination. (Among other things, I have a severe allergy to upside down cards. :mad:)

....Thank you also Richard....I am going to have to get the Book of Thoth Etteilla....I am truly captivated by the deck and though I knew a tiny bit of the deck's history...I did not know how much, till now, that I do not know....

I was a History major and I have always been fascinated with the history of Tarot....So the this deck will give me excuse spend time doing some research....I love doing research...yes, I' m kind of a geek...

Tarot dance

Never mind the deck - assuming you have the right one - Yours cannot be the Grimaud deck...

...Gregory I have this deck

attachment.php

Grand Etteilla Egyptian Gypsies Tarot, Grimaud, 1977

attachment.php

Attachments

• Grand E.jpeg
    Grand E.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 772
  • Grand E Majors.jpg
    Grand E Majors.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,263