Legend:The Arthurian - Cards you had trouble figuring out without the booklet

watchman291273

There weren't "so" many of them for me.

7 of Spears : really different vibe from RWS
4 of Shields : the illustration appeared more negative than the description
2 of Spears : the hook of the standing character gave me a bad vibe even though the one sitting seemed peaceful. Didn't get much except they're talking about stuff.
2 of Shields : the two characters appeared kind of lost. that was it.
Ace of shields, 10 of cups, and the 4 pages : I didn't get anything.

Anyway, it's my first deck and don't consider getting another one for now. Some other cards really spoke to me in a very personal way and I do like the Athurian mood. I'll probably get the book for Christmas..

HudsonGray

Check out the half price bookstores, they usually have a copy of the book on their shelves in the occult/metaphysical section. This deck has a learning curve since some of the cards are different than the RW meanings. I like some of the deck very much, and other parts leave me cold (that hanged man one for instance, having REAL hanged men on it? Huh? Where'd that come from?). The book is called A Keeper Of Words and it's been issued with several different covers.

RedMaple

An Entirely Different Deck

WalesWoman said:
I have the book, but there are some cards that are so different that I really have to think and think. Sometimes the images knock every preconcieved meaning right out into space and when I'm feeling lazy, I'll grab the book.

Yes, I'm beginning to think I would have to leave the RWS meanings completely behind and work only with the images and stories connected with them. If I try to think of them within RWS, many of them do not make sense to me.

If I look at the 2 of Shields, and know the story of the Uther building the moat at the Castle Pendragon, and the River Eden not cooperating, the card certainly has a lot of meaning. But not necessarily anything having to do with the traditional meanings I get from the two of pentacles.

Page of Cups: Now here is a one card that does bear a relationship to the imagery in the RWS. The fish in the cup, is here the Salmon. The Salmon is the fish of wisdom in Celtic stories, including the story of Taliesin, which is from Wales, I believe, and also an Irish story about Fionn MacCumhail (Finn MacCool.) In both stories, eating the fish, or in the Irish version, merely licking his fingers after being burned by touching the cooked fish, gives great wisdom. So I can relate to this card quite well.

Wow, this deck is a lot of work. :)

WalesWoman

There have been some cards in here that haven't been discussed yet. This could be the place to bring them up and then begin your thread with a question about on in particular and save Sullis a lot of work. (Which is very much appreciated. This is wonderful!)