Any accurate Lunar calendar out there?

patr1c1a

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to find an accurate lunar calendar featuring all 8 phases of the moon as well as zodiac signs and the exact time the moon enters each one of those signs. Also, I live on the southern hemisphere (Argentina), so it should have info specific for my timezone.
I haven't had a lot of luck trying to find one of those online (they all lack something, or they just feature 4 moon phases).
Does anyone know a website, software, mobile app or even a book where I can get this info?
Thanks!

Minderwiz

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to find an accurate lunar calendar featuring all 8 phases of the moon as well as zodiac signs and the exact time the moon enters each one of those signs. Also, I live on the southern hemisphere (Argentina), so it should have info specific for my timezone.
I haven't had a lot of luck trying to find one of those online (they all lack something, or they just feature 4 moon phases).
Does anyone know a website, software, mobile app or even a book where I can get this info?
Thanks!

I think you are going to have to use a combination of two or more sources :( This is because you are mixing Astronomy and Astrology, though some of the expensive Astrology programs will give you what you need.

For the accurate timings at your home location you will probably be best with an app for your phone/tablet. I use Moon Phase Pro, which gives the visible disc percentage at any moment in time plus the time in days and hours since the last New Moon and the time in days and hours till the next Full Moon. It gives the local rise and set times plus zenith and nadir.

However the problem comes when you start to require sign positions and ingresses. Moon Phase Pro gives the Right Ascension (RA) of the Moon at any moment in time, but Right Ascension is not quite the same thing as Zodiacal position (except when the Moon is on the Ascendant or MC). That is because RA is measured along the Celestial Equator, rather than the Zodiac (which is inclined by 23 degrees to the celestial equator), though both measuring systems start with the March Equinox as their zero point.

Incidentally the Zodiac mentioned above in the Tropical Zodiac which is most used in Western Astrology. There are other zodiacs, of which the sidereal ones are the best known alternatives. You should be aware that some Apps that give zodiacal positions may not use the Western Tropical Zodiac or may use Constellations as their reference points, either of which will give a significant difference in position (the sidereal zodiacs are about 24 degrees 'behind' the tropical one).

Now you can convert between the RA and Zodiacal position but for ease of operation, it's better to have a mobile Astrology App, which will give you the Moon's Zodiac Position. I used to use Planetdance but it is a paid for app (though not expensive by any standards) There are others which are free.

However most Astrology Apps for phones/tablets don't have ingresses - AstroApp, which is web based and runs on any computing device that can access the web, is an exception but it's subscription based.

I mainly use one of my Astrology programs for ingresses but what you need is an online ephemeris that provides ingresses,

http://www.moontracks.com/lunar_ingress.html

Will give you the dates and times for the Moon. This uses UT (GMT) as its time frame, so you will have to allow for your offset East of Greenwich. However, once you know it, you can convert all the ingresses very simply. As Ingresses are know for years ahead you can simply take the year you are interested in and convert the lot by subtracting the Greenwich offset.

You can then enter them in your online calendar and they are there for reference.

zhan.thay

Solar Fire sunmoon transit-transit dynamic report - harm08

Hi, this is what I came up with in Solar Fire. The times and dates are for Buenos Aires (BZT2). On 12 Oct 2015 Mon Cnj Sun is the New Moon when Moon & Sun are at 19 Libra 20. Working backwards: Mon Cnj Lib on 11 Oct is Moon ingress to Libra; Mon SSq Sun on 8 Oct is Waning Crescent Phase; Mon Sqr Sun on 4 Oct is Last Quarter or Waning Quarter; Mon Sqq Sun on 1 Oct is Waning Gibbous.

Mon (3) Sqq Sun (8) (X) Tr-Tr 1 Oct 2015 05:04:51 am BZT2 0.019 22°Ta50' D 07°Li50' D
Mon (4) Cnj Gem (4) (S) Tr-Tr 1 Oct 2015 05:03:23 pm BZT2 0.021 00°Ge00' D 00°Ge00' D
Mon (5) Cnj Can (5) (S) Tr-Tr 3 Oct 2015 09:21:47 pm BZT2 0.027 00°Cn00' D 00°Cn00' D
Mon (5) Sqr Sun (8) (X) Tr-Tr 4 Oct 2015 06:06:03 pm BZT2 0.029 11°Cn19' D 11°Li19' D
Mon (6) Cnj Leo (6) (S) Tr-Tr 6 Oct 2015 05:30:37 am BZT2 0.033 00°Le00' D 00°Le00' D
Mon (7) Cnj Vir (7) (S) Tr-Tr 8 Oct 2015 04:50:23 pm BZT2 0.040 00°Vi00' D 00°Vi00' D
Mon (7) SSq Sun (8) (X) Tr-Tr 8 Oct 2015 05:18:10 pm BZT2 0.040 00°Vi14' D 15°Li14' D
Mon (8) Cnj Lib (8) (S) Tr-Tr 11 Oct 2015 05:45:28 am BZT2 0.047 00°Li00' D 00°Li00' D
Mon (8) Cnj Sun (8) (X) Tr-Tr 12 Oct 2015 09:05:41 pm BZT2 0.051 19°Li20' D 19°Li20' D
Mon (9) Cnj Sco (9) (S) Tr-Tr 13 Oct 2015 06:38:15 pm BZT2 0.054 00°Sc00' D 00°Sc00' D
Mon (10) Cnj Sag (10) (S) Tr-Tr 16 Oct 2015 06:18:04 am BZT2 0.061 00°Sg00' D 00°Sg00' D
Mon (10) SSq Sun (8) (X) Tr-Tr 16 Oct 2015 10:36:11 pm BZT2 0.063 08°Sg22' D 23°Li22' D
Mon (11) Cnj Cap (11) (S) Tr-Tr 18 Oct 2015 03:52:07 pm BZT2 0.067 00°Cp00' D 00°Cp00' D
Mon (12) Sqr Sun (9) (X) Tr-Tr 20 Oct 2015 05:31:19 pm BZT2 0.073 27°Cp08' D 27°Li08' D
Mon (12) Cnj Aqu (12) (S) Tr-Tr 20 Oct 2015 10:37:36 pm BZT2 0.074 00°Aq00' D 00°Aq00' D
Mon (1) Cnj Pis (1) (S) Tr-Tr 23 Oct 2015 02:17:33 am BZT2 0.079 00°Pi00' D 00°Pi00' D
Sun (9) Cnj Sco (9) (S) Tr-Tr 23 Oct 2015 02:46:42 pm BZT2 0.081 00°Sc00' D 00°Sc00' D
Mon (1) Sqq Sun (9) (X) Tr-Tr 24 Oct 2015 03:58:51 am BZT2 0.082 15°Pi33' D 00°Sc33' D
Mon (2) Cnj Ari (2) (S) Tr-Tr 25 Oct 2015 03:21:34 am BZT2 0.085 00°Ar00' D 00°Ar00' D
Mon (3) Cnj Tau (3) (S) Tr-Tr 27 Oct 2015 03:07:15 am BZT2 0.090 00°Ta00' D 00°Ta00' D
Mon (3) Opp Sun (9) (X) Tr-Tr 27 Oct 2015 09:05:06 am BZT2 0.091 03°Ta45' D 03°Sc45' D
Mon (4) Cnj Gem (4) (S) Tr-Tr 29 Oct 2015 03:24:11 am BZT2 0.096 00°Ge00' D 00°Ge00' D
Mon (4) Sqq Sun (9) (X) Tr-Tr 30 Oct 2015 04:21:30 pm BZT2 0.100 22°Ge03' D 07°Sc03' D
Mon (5) Cnj Can (5) (S) Tr-Tr 31 Oct 2015 06:09:07 am BZT2 0.102 00°Cn00' D 00°Cn00' D

If you don't follow this, post your questions and I'll try to explain it more fully. If you don't have access to Solar Fire, I'd be happy to send you more months by Private Messaging. If you have Solar Fire, I'm happy to tell you how to set up Dynamic/Transits report to generate these figures.

zhan.thay

Thanks Wolfy :thumbsup: It's a good little program. Unfortunately for patr1c1a it doesn't give the 1/8th phases.

A point to make about the figures I provided earlier: because the moon's orbit has an inclination of around 6 degrees to the ecliptic the times shown will not necessarily be the exact times of 25% illumination for a crescent, 50% for a quarter, 75% for a gibbous and 100% for a full moon. To get those times I would have to run some calculations through the US Naval Observatory's software MICA. It's not impossible but a bit more tedious.

Brilliance

I think you are going to have to use a combination of two or more sources :( This is because you are mixing Astronomy and Astrology, though some of the expensive Astrology programs will give you what you need.

For the accurate timings at your home location you will probably be best with an app for your phone/tablet. I use Moon Phase Pro, which gives the visible disc percentage at any moment in time plus the time in days and hours since the last New Moon and the time in days and hours till the next Full Moon. It gives the local rise and set times plus zenith and nadir.

However the problem comes when you start to require sign positions and ingresses. Moon Phase Pro gives the Right Ascension (RA) of the Moon at any moment in time, but Right Ascension is not quite the same thing as Zodiacal position (except when the Moon is on the Ascendant or MC). That is because RA is measured along the Celestial Equator, rather than the Zodiac (which is inclined by 23 degrees to the celestial equator), though both measuring systems start with the March Equinox as their zero point.

Incidentally the Zodiac mentioned above in the Tropical Zodiac which is most used in Western Astrology. There are other zodiacs, of which the sidereal ones are the best known alternatives. You should be aware that some Apps that give zodiacal positions may not use the Western Tropical Zodiac or may use Constellations as their reference points, either of which will give a significant difference in position (the sidereal zodiacs are about 24 degrees 'behind' the tropical one).

Now you can convert between the RA and Zodiacal position but for ease of operation, it's better to have a mobile Astrology App, which will give you the Moon's Zodiac Position. I used to use Planetdance but it is a paid for app (though not expensive by any standards) There are others which are free.

However most Astrology Apps for phones/tablets don't have ingresses - AstroApp, which is web based and runs on any computing device that can access the web, is an exception but it's subscription based.

I mainly use one of my Astrology programs for ingresses but what you need is an online ephemeris that provides ingresses,

http://www.moontracks.com/lunar_ingress.html

Will give you the dates and times for the Moon. This uses UT (GMT) as its time frame, so you will have to allow for your offset East of Greenwich. However, once you know it, you can convert all the ingresses very simply. As Ingresses are know for years ahead you can simply take the year you are interested in and convert the lot by subtracting the Greenwich offset.

You can then enter them in your online calendar and they are there for reference.

Moontracks is my favorite online lunar calendar as well!! :)

stone_lotus

I use Deluxe Moon, which is an iPhone app.

It has a monthly calendar indicating the phase of the moon for each day along with the Zodiac sign for that day, although I'm not sure if the exact time it enters the sign is available. It does show percentage points. Also, you can synch the app to your time zone. Many other features as well.

I'm a newb so perhaps it's better to look at some of the responses from the more experienced members on this thread, but anyway it's the app I use. : )

BigLuna

Personal Lunar Calendars

Lots of astrologers offer personalized lunar calendars. These calendars list moon sign changes and times, as well as other planetary ingresses and major aspects. The personalized calendars show aspects to your natal chart. The moon phases aren't shown, but if you know the degrees of each phase (45-89.59 = crescent, for example), you can determine which of the eight phases in effect at the time.

Personalized calendars can be made for any place on earth. These calendars are usually offered in tandem with a transit report, but that is not necessary.

I use Day Watch software by Matrix and publish a free monthly calendar on my blog, but it's specific to the Eastern time zone. I'm not sure about the rules for listing a personal blog, so I'll skip that unless I hear that it's okay.

Lunarium has a universal lunar calendar that you can set for your timezone. It lists lots of daily lunar info, but no pics of the phases.

If you want to see the daily phases, they can be found on several sites. MoonConnection lets you see a monthly calendar of daily phases for any month, year, and either hemisphere. They do not show zodiac signs, though. Another spot to catch the daily phase is NASA's dial a moon.

IndigoIsabelle

I use Deluxe Moon, which is an iPhone app.

It has a monthly calendar indicating the phase of the moon for each day along with the Zodiac sign for that day, although I'm not sure if the exact time it enters the sign is available. It does show percentage points. Also, you can synch the app to your time zone. Many other features as well.

I'm a newb so perhaps it's better to look at some of the responses from the more experienced members on this thread, but anyway it's the app I use. : )

Deluxe Moon is on the Play Store for Android also. I have had that on my last three phones (HTC's) and it works great. It has lots of options and you can set your location.