The Spanish Tarot - historical deck.

Greg Stanton

Also, anyone notice that Justice is tipping the scales with her elbow?

Bernice

Greg Stanton said:
Also, anyone notice that Justice is tipping the scales with her elbow?
I've noticed this in quite a few historical decks, Justice often has tilted or uneven scales. Sometimes I think it's a design 'fault', but when she's clearly tipping the scales it makes me think that the card represents 'human justice', warts & all :) !

Bee :)

Bernice

That's a real good link for comparative Justice cards.
I can't help it, but the Ancient Marseille Tarot 'Justice' always cracks me up.

http://www.albideuter.de/html/m5-08.html

There she sits with one back-eye and one missing eye. How in the world does she perceive justice :laugh: !

Purists, please ignore me.

Bee :)

Cassandra022

necro-posting

but i must say, i think that this might be the deck that finally lures me into reading with a proper Marseilles tradition deck...normally i'm very turned off by the art style and colors of proper marseilles decks when it comes to actually reading with em...

but have been looking at scans online and...this is so quirky and coloring is so nice, not so intense with the bright primary colors only and...the more i look...the more i am drawn to it :0

l'appeso

necro-posting

but i must say, i think that this might be the deck that finally lures me into reading with a proper Marseilles tradition deck...normally i'm very turned off by the art style and colors of proper marseilles decks when it comes to actually reading with em...

but have been looking at scans online and...this is so quirky and coloring is so nice, not so intense with the bright primary colors only and...the more i look...the more i am drawn to it :0

+1
it has become one of my favorite decks despite some big flaws... imho it isn't a true historical repro, more of a fancy redrawing but it's got personality and it's a pleasure to use :)

one of my dreams would be that of restoring the original tarot (tarocco di giuseppe ottone which is maybe the earliest piedmontese tarot)... unfortunately I couldn't find the complete scans yet!

prudence

This one was one of my fave go to decks for quite a while...it's easy to shuffle and a nice smallish size...and the colors are fun, irreverent....the background color is a nice yellowish "old" looking color that does not make the other colors scream at you and cause headaches.

The extra arm on one of the Sun twins is always fun too. :D

Cassandra022

yeah, i ended up going for it, haven't had time to actually read with it yet but LOVE the colors, cardstock is nice (my first fournier deck, it is) and...its like SO quirky, though i didn't notice the extra arm yet on the sun only the 'im gonna be sick' expression of the sun itself *runs to check it out*

Sulis

I really love the colouring and cardstock of this deck but it does seem to be a very bad copy of the Conver - hence the 3 arms on The Sun card and the unidentifiable creatures on The Wheel of Fortune etc...
The lion that looks like a rabbit on Strength really puts me off though... I wish it were a better copy though because the colours are so nice - it's a shame really.

Lee

I really love the colouring and cardstock of this deck but it does seem to be a very bad copy of the Conver - hence the 3 arms on The Sun card and the unidentifiable creatures on The Wheel of Fortune etc...
The lion that looks like a rabbit on Strength really puts me off though... I wish it were a better copy though because the colours are so nice - it's a shame really.
Apparently the deck that the Spanish Tarot is based on predates the Conver. So we might rather say that the Conver is a too-serious copy of the Spanish. :)