The Spanish Tarot - historical deck.

Cassandra022

it's funny you say that Sulis because i was just thinking of how i quite really like this strength and her lion and how different it is. also the mutant sun children amuse me immensely. see i ordinarily don't much care for the two kiddy style versions of sun cards but this? they are mutants ad the sun is kinda disgusted by them? epic! but also quite interesting possible interpretations there...really have to see how this deck actually reads for me now...

edit: so i just did a quick draw with a general question of 'so tell me something i need to know, then' and got like, the story of [the underlying issues of] my life in three cards; succinct and accurate :D

l'appeso

Apparently the deck that the Spanish Tarot is based on predates the Conver. So we might rather say that the Conver is a too-serious copy of the Spanish. :)

you're right, it's from 1736: Tarocco di Giuseppe Ottone - Serravalle Sesia.
there was a discussion on that
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=68526&highlight=giuseppe+ottone

even if it is not the best marseille deck (for clumsiness check the original bateleur's leg!) the ottone has its charms, I like the expression of the queen of deniers... but my favourite is the queen of swords, her look is really intense... she seems to be lost in her thoughts

l'appeso

the high priest/priestess...

I noticed there are no religious symbols in there, plus the pope looks quite young and he's got a beard...
my guessing is that the original cards have been modified by fournier, otherwise it would be really unusual...

BSwett

Woah, reviving an old thread here.

I love this deck.
I wanted to comment that I was reading the LWB last night and noticed that the meanings of the pips are very much in the RWS tradition. I know there's a mish mash of techniques of interpreting minors on TdM's; is this one also valid?

Le Fanu

I wonder if this is one of those Fournier decks where they just put the same LWB in for all of them. Is your LWB a stapled booklet with an eye on the front? they use that one for all of their decks...

BSwett

Well it might be, but it does include a couple of pages on the history of this particular deck, along with a historical timeline and theories on the Tarot in general.

Laura Borealis

Woah, reviving an old thread here.

I love this deck.
I wanted to comment that I was reading the LWB last night and noticed that the meanings of the pips are very much in the RWS tradition. I know there's a mish mash of techniques of interpreting minors on TdM's; is this one also valid?

My LWB for this deck is by Stuart Kaplan, and it's copyright 1975 - is yours? I mean that kind of says it all, right there. :p

As to whether it's a valid way of interpreting TdM minors - I'm sure many use RWS or GD meanings and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Others go with intuition, or devise methods that feel period-appropriate. I like Mel's Old-fashioned Pips and Courts method, though I'm still a noob at it.

Le Fanu

My original LWB for this deck, early 80s, was a piece of paper folded up 4 (?) times to fit in the box, with small print. Later editions have the standard eye-on-cover stapled Fournier LWB. You get it with all Fournier decks. The original LWB for El Gran Tarot Esoterico was so good and now they don't issue it with with the deck anymore. They issue this one I mention that bears no relation whatsoever with the deck in question.

BSwett

My LWB for this deck is by Stuart Kaplan, and it's copyright 1975 - is yours? I mean that kind of says it all, right there. :p

As to whether it's a valid way of interpreting TdM minors - I'm sure many use RWS or GD meanings and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Others go with intuition, or devise methods that feel period-appropriate. I like Mel's Old-fashioned Pips and Courts method, though I'm still a noob at it.

Yep. Mine is a Kaplan as well.

BSwett

I got myself a backup copy of this jewel. (Had too…) I absolutely adore this deck. I Love how humble the characters are. No excessive 'bling', not a lot of christian symbolism, and fantastic colors. The high Priestess doesn't even have a crown; she looks like a wise gypsy lady! The high Priest and the hermit both remind me of Obi Wan Kenobi (True Jedi's), the Queen of Coins has a lovely cleavage, and even the Devil looks friendly as hell ;)

I only wish Fournier would correct the mistake of issuing the LWB with RWS meanings. I think this is a valid option for a reader if they so desire, but to sell a TdM style deck with this interpretations is misleading and further blurs the story of the cards.

Paz.