Tarot Plain and Simple.

gregory

When you're ready for a slightly deeper dive into the meaning of the Majors, I'd really recommend Jason Lotterhand's _Thursday Night Tarot_. It's a write-up of a very wise practitioner's free lectures on the deeper meaning of each Major. There's a gentleness and a sweetness to his work that some esoteric or mystical teachers lack. I love that book to this day.
It has recently been reissued as a POD with added material - under the title: The Spoken Cabala: Tarot Explorations of the One Self.

Just FYI.

foolMoon

Tarot Plain and Simple

I have this one coming in the post. It looks really good and since I have fallen (again) under for the Robin Wood Tarot magical spell, I am looking forward to reading it.

Freddie

Best book to go with Robin Wood Deck.

rwcarter

Best book to go with Robin Wood Deck.
Actually the book written by Robin Wood to go with her deck is better for that deck than TP&S, which only uses the images from the deck for illustration. As I've already said, TP&S is a great book, but I don't agree that it's the best book for the Robin Wood Tarot.

foolMoon

Actually the book written by Robin Wood to go with her deck is better for that deck than TP&S, which only uses the images from the deck for illustration. As I've already said, TP&S is a great book, but I don't agree that it's the best book for the Robin Wood Tarot.

I didn't know there was book written with the deck. Will try to get it if I see it for sale. Many thanks for your info.

gregory

I concur - and it is easy to find, too.

Morwenna

When I started, the most readily available books were Eden Gray's, which were good enough at the time, but when I came across Louis' book years later, I wondered where that book had been when I was a newcomer! I highly recommend it.

Of course, once you're more familiar with it all, others here have suggested some very good books. I like Mary Greer and Rachel Pollack (and I agree that Robin Wood's own book is the best for her own deck). I have not yet read Bunning or Huson; they're on my wish list!

starrystarrynight

I love TP&S, and it is my go-to book, as well; however, I wonder if it is a bit expansive for a beginner. Louis's in-depth card "meanings" could be a little overwhelming for a newbie, I think. (How many times do we see a beginner ask, "But which meaning fits? There are so many of them listed!"

Not being facetious, but have you looked through the Idiot's Guide to Tarot...or Tarot for Dummies (not sure if either of those is the exact title)? For simple starter guides, the Idiot's Guide or Dummies lead one through step-by-step without bogging him down with too much information. I found it (Idiot's Guide) to be a good primer when trying to show one person the ropes a few years ago...then she went on to other more comprehensive books. But she got a good basic grasp from the orange tome first.

amitjain123

Excellent Choice.

Hi, I am happy to know that you chose TAROT PLAIN AND SIMPLE by Anthony Louis, its an amazing book for all levels of Tarot readers, it is the first book of reference for me, brilliantly put without being verbose or confusing, the other book that I will recommend would be "Tarot for life" by Paul Quinn, this is a great book too and it has examples for every card in a small story type format.

daphne

I have over 600 books on tarot and TP&S is the one I grab for first if I need some help with a card. I think you've made an excellent choice for a first (and only) book. I intend to get his second book one of these days....

It is also mine!

What second book?