just read creepily determinist book on tarot--

donnalee

I don't want to mention names since perhaps the person comes here and I also don't want to insult anyone, but I do want to comment on a style of reading in a book I just read. I hated the sample readings given in this book I just got from a library. It said things, based on a celtic cross, like "Clearly the person will have an affair with a married person sometime in future so s/he needs to blahblah...", whereas that wasn't the question at all and was so out of left field for me, plus phrased so decisively, that it turned me off that style completely. I understand that everyone's style differs, and I am just saying that this style, of "it must be true because I have said so because the cards said so and they mean this one thing only" just doesn't even make sense to me. I wonder if it turns some other people off tarot to run into it, since it comes across as so judgmental and rigid and predictive--the readings would have cards that I would interpret differently than the author did, and then the author would say something like "and then it all turns out like this", and I just did not see the thought process and how ignoring nine or so cards and grabbing at the end one made sense. YMMV.

seedcake

Other story is to read books from different countries. 'Cause Polish is my native, I'm checking Polish books on Tarot, I own few by myself (or translations of Hanjo Banzhaf's books). I'm not the fan of them, maybe two by one author are really close to my taste. The reason is that she was reading German translations of Rachel Pollack's books. I believe that Polish or Russian sources on the cards are pretty specific and differ from the English-speaking world. I'm not able to describe it at the moment - it's a bit complex with all the Christian thought which is included. I don't mean it's bad but somehow, I think it can make you go away from being open. And of course, there's a lot of those weird stereotypes about using cards.

donnalee

Other story is to read books from different countries. 'Cause Polish is my native, I'm checking Polish books on Tarot, I own few by myself (or translations of Hanjo Banzhaf's books). I'm not the fan of them, maybe two by one author are really close to my taste. The reason is that she was reading German translations of Rachel Pollack's books. I believe that Polish or Russian sources on the cards are pretty specific and differ from the English-speaking world. I'm not able to describe it at the moment - it's a bit complex with all the Christian thought which is included. I don't mean it's bad but somehow, I think it can make you go away from being open. And of course, there's a lot of those weird stereotypes about using cards.

This author seems to have a background that includes some Eastern European tradition, and perhaps it is the usual style there. It seemed less open, as you say, to possibilities which I might consider myself. I think it is wise to read books from many traditions to see what occurs in the world, and what may be helpful in my own reading. Thank you for the comment.

seedcake

This author seems to have a background that includes some Eastern European tradition, and perhaps it is the usual style there. It seemed less open, as you say, to possibilities which I might consider myself. I think it is wise to read books from many traditions to see what occurs in the world, and what may be helpful in my own reading. Thank you for the comment.

You're welcome :) It's very important topic 'cause when appear person like me here, I see totally new world. But to be honest, my journey with Tarot really started with English language resources. In Eastern Europe you won't find ideas which are settled in UK or US for even more than 10 years. I don't want to tell it's bad here but somehow, I see this way when reading books or checking sites where is possible to get a reading. I know people who would like to add some fresh view or cheer for those who would like to do so. I'm afraid, it's a long way for a shift. 'Cause of the atmosphere between Tarot readers or other spiritual workers, I decided to stick with English language resorces and places of communication. Of course, I'm reading for people in my native language but in the way which I feel is right.

donnalee

You're welcome :) It's very important topic 'cause when appear person like me here, I see totally new world. But to be honest, my journey with Tarot really started with English language resources. In Eastern Europe you won't find ideas which are settled in UK or US for even more than 10 years. I don't want to tell it's bad here but somehow, I see this way when reading books or checking sites where is possible to get a reading. I know people who would like to add some fresh view or cheer for those who would like to do so. I'm afraid, it's a long way for a shift. 'Cause of the atmosphere between Tarot readers or other spiritual workers, I decided to stick with English language resorces and places of communication. Of course, I'm reading for people in my native language but in the way which I feel is right.

That makes sense to me: learn and feel what is right for you. I wish you success.