The Sweeney Tarot

HighPriestess

I just saw images from this deck on tumblr and was like "Okay, I need to back this." I'm especially intrigued by the artist's intention to make a diverse deck. Here's a quote from the campaign:

"in many books on the interpretation of Tarot, you will find a lot of racist, sexist, heteronormative language. I hoped to have a deck that more easily reflects the diversity of the world, including many people of color, women in traditionally male roles, men in traditionally female roles, trans*persons, homosexual/plural relationships, and people with disabilities. I feel that by being more inclusive with the imagery will be a start to more inclusive decks in the future."

Images from the tarot can be found here: http://leebradford.tumblr.com/post/54618048177/the-sweeney-tarot-leebradford-tumblr

That tumblr also has a link to the Indiegogo campaign.

daphne

Is this Major Arcana deck only?

HighPriestess

If you go back in the tumblr she has pictures of the minors, so I'm assuming it's a full 78 card deck.

tarotbear

I like the Death card - a lot!

karen0205

When I checked the tumblr page I see a reference to a Kickstarter campaign that will start soon but nothing about Indidgogo. Could they have changed over? I know there are differences between the two websites so maybe they decided to go with Indidgogo.

Can you explain tumblr to me? I have tried to figure that out forever!
You see a post, like the one from this tarot artist, and all the links below
are when someone has shared that page correct? What about when there
are multiple images and there seem to be more than just the one post on
the page? Thanks! Anywhere to find out how tumblr works? I can't find
anything.

desertrat

I saw this deck is now for sale on Gamecrafter. I'm on the fence about purchasing it. The images may be too modern for me. But I was really taken by the Sun and Star cards. Any fans of the deck out there?

http://thesweeneytarot.tumblr.com/

Sar

Looks good, but is it a working deck???

FLizarraga

I like the visceral art and the concept, but the artist's explanation leaves me a little cold. I'm not a big fan of the "I can't relate" sentiment, which when examined tends to reveal a lack of human empathy and a disregard for tradition and knowledge.

No offense to the artist, or to minorities --I personally belong to several. But the "I can't relate" thing reminds me of a white straight male to whom I lent Octavia Butler's marvelous Dawn, and who gave it back to me two days later because he just "couldn't relate" to the plight of a black woman.