Shock! The Aftermath of an Unwelcome Surprise (6)

Chiriku

You've had a rude shock. Not necessarily the proverbial "rude awakening" (which implies some sort of self-deception that's been toppled), although it could be that.

The moment of unwelcome surprise has passed and you have to gather your wits again, maybe face some unpleasant thoughts and emotions.

----------------- Shock! (the Aftermath of an Unwelcome Surprise) -------------------

As a philosophical choice in light of the fact that shocks are built-in to human existence, I have refrained from making a position for how to be "prepared" or guard against future shocks.

*Note how this spread begins in an unexpected place for those of us reading in English/a European language i.e. on the far right. This reflects the "bolt from the blue" nature of the event or situation.

Card #2 is close in time to the shock.

The middle cards begin on the "correct" side to reflect our attempts to put our mind back in order.

The last card extends further to the right than even the shock, to demonstrate our conscious control over our own life, our power to not let the shock write the script for ourselves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (Shock!) 1 <-----
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2 <-----

---------------------------> 3

----------------------------------> 4

--------------------------------------------> 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> 6

1) Shock!

-- what unsettles or hurts you the most at the moment of impact. This is why this shock jolted you so much, rocked your world.

2) Free License to Feel

--- in the immediate aftermath, you have a free license to feel this emotion or respond in the "less-than-evolved" way this court character would... WITHOUT worrying that you're not resilient, telling yourself other people have worse problems to worry about, wondering how you should address this in therapy, etc, etc.

(** Note: you can define "immediate" in whatever span of minutes, hours, days, weeks or months, that you need)

3) How to Feel Now

-- now that the shock and its aftermath have faded, what emotion, outlook or court card personality should you work on cultivating in yourself to help you move towards recovering?

4) Freedom from Thoughts

-- there's something that you keep ruminating on, some aspect of the situation you despise or wish you could change. ("All that time she said she loved me, it was a lie!" "I could have prevented the robbery if I'd held the camera bag close to me as I was supposed to.").

You should free yourself from thinking these thoughts because ________________.

[ insert information about the situation to which you aren't privy but which Tarot will helpfully provide]

5) Counter-Act

Do this to actively counteract the negative effects of the shocking situation. Maybe this means confronting someone; maybe it means holding your tongue. Maybe it is practical advice to mitigate the financial or other fallout from the shocking situation.

6) Opportunity

This card identifies the golden opportunity that has come about only because the shock knocked you free of the course you'd been on up until that point. This card says: "This shocking situation is a blessing in disguise because ________________."

DesertDream

This is excellent ty

Michellehihi

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
I feel I had so many "tower" events lately in my life that I could use this spread over and over again!!!!

danieljuk

nice to see you around AT Chiriku! :thumbsup:

definitely going to save this spread to try the next time I have a shock and I like that one of the positions is about the free licence to feel what you feel from it :)

Chiriku

This is excellent ty

Very interesting, thank you for sharing!
I feel I had so many "tower" events lately in my life that I could use this spread over and over again!!!!

nice to see you around AT Chiriku! :thumbsup:

definitely going to save this spread to try the next time I have a shock and I like that one of the positions is about the free licence to feel what you feel from it :)

Hi, friends , thank you very much for your feedback.

Michellehihi, you're quite right, I had a Tower experience that prompted me to create this. I haven't used this spread yet because I first had to get through the immediate aftermath (I used a spread that asked specific questions about my situation for that part). I think I might be ready for this one now...

danieljuk, my dear friend, it's always a pleasure to see you around these parts. Thumbs up indeed! I hope your shock comes later rather than sooner. ALthough...I have often wondered if it would have benefited me to have more shocks earlier on to prepare me to deal with later ones.

I don't know. Who knows if we can ever be prepared to grapple with each individual Tower moment? The whole reason it's the Tower is because it comes completely unexpectedly.

Chiriku

Weird spread formatting

Sorry for the way the spread layout looks on various devices. I tried but apparently failed to have Cards 1 and 2 off to the far right and then the rest of the cards progress from the left in staggered fashion.

You can put the cards wherever you please.

mercurien

I love this spread! It helped me a great deal.

Thank you.