Golden Tarot : The Fool card

ScarabFlight

I figured I'd keep things moving along with a new thread.

The card that I drew was The Fool, a good place to start I guess.

Here are just a few of my observations:

One thing that I really like is that the fool is a female. (I always like female characters since I am one :D )

She moves to the beat of her own drum and even her dog dances with her. Or perhaps he is warning her of the cliff? Maybe he doesn't see it either?

She looks kind of serious, but it seems as though she just got distracted from whatever it was she was doing. Dancing? Singing? Laughing? Maybe something just called to her? Or maybe she is playing a sad song for something or someone that she lost?

I find her hat rather interesting although I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Maybe she went to the movies, had a bit too much to drink and decided to fashion new headwear out of what she found the popcorn in? (I'm not trying to be irreverent on purpose, it's just the way my mind works......)

I also enjoy her belt, it contrasts nicely with the simpleness of her dress. It seems to say that she has the means to have ornate things but chooses to keep it simple and have a nice drum instead.

Another thing I enjoy is how you can see so much in her face depending on what the other cards are and what the question is.

ScarabFlight

Hmmmmmm,

Either:
A) this is a really bad post and no one wants to be a part of it
B) this is a really good post and no one wants to follow it (haha)
C) everyone is really busy and hasn't had time to add their 2 and 3 cents.

Hmmmmmmm......
:D

Namaste

ScarabFlight said:
Hmmmmmm,

Either:
A) this is a really bad post and no one wants to be a part of it
B) this is a really good post and no one wants to follow it (haha)
C) everyone is really busy and hasn't had time to add their 2 and 3 cents.

Hmmmmmmm......
:D

I will be very happy to join you ScarabFlight, in the exploration of this deck that I just got a week or so ago, if you'll bear with me until tomorrow, when I will post both my perception of the Fool (before I read yours, so that I'm not influenced in any way), and then comment or so on what you wrote. :)

Is that okay? Thank you for starting this thread!

ScarabFlight

Thanks Namaste for responding. Sounds great. I just wanted to bump this thread up in case it got lost amid the various other groups. :D

I love this deck and I'm excited. Well, that and I have a lot of free time right now so I may be a tad impatient. :( Sorry :)

I will be patient. lol

Jewel-ry

Her dress is white, the colour of purity and innocence. The source painting for the hat is Saint Martin Renounces his Weapons Simone Martini, which you can see here:

http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/s/simone/3assisi/martin_1/40renoun.html

Click on the picture to get a good view. I also think this is the source for the Emperor card

The source for the dog and cliff Joachim among the shepherds Giotto di Bondone

http://www.artprints-on-demand.co.uk/noframes/giotto/joachim_shepherds.htm

The fool herself is such a small part of a much bigger painting so I its not worth putting in the link but this is really interesting to do. I shall try to put up the links as you go along providing they are useful.

J :)

ScarabFlight

Very interesting and informative! Thanks so much for the links. :D

Namaste

Fool

I was surprised by the look of equanimity on this 'Fool's' face. I always expect 'Fools' of decks to be maverick in some way; or to sport an expression of adopted stupidy to veil what must have been intelligence, like the court jesters of old. Otherwise how could many of them have survived the erratic behaviour of those they served?

It is interesting that the 'Golden' fool is a woman, particularly that this is a late Medieval, early Renaissance deck, but it does make sense, since the attributes of the fool in tarot are definitely not gender specific.

I feel this fool speaks less of impetuousness and of innocence than it does of wisdom; the wisdom that comes from experience, and has even transcended the experience to a state of higher understanding.

This idea is suggested to me by the fact that she holds a drum. Now..., music can be seen as the language, par excellence, the most complex, yet the most universal of all languages.

More so than in any other deck, I think if this fool appears in a reading, it will be the other cards, surrounding her, that will determine what it is she wants the querent to understand.

What do you think? :)

ScarabFlight

Re: Fool

Namaste said:
I feel this fool speaks less of impetuousness and of innocence than it does of wisdom; the wisdom that comes from experience, and has even transcended the experience to a state of higher understanding.

This idea is suggested to me by the fact that she holds a drum. Now..., music can be seen as the language, par excellence, the most complex, yet the most universal of all languages.

More so than in any other deck, I think if this fool appears in a reading, it will be the other cards, surrounding her, that will determine what it is she wants the querent to understand.

What do you think? :)

I agree. There are soo many different directions that this card could take. So many different paths that could take us to different destinations. This is one of the reasons I love this deck.

I really like the thought about music being the language. I hadn't really thought about it in that way. It's kind of like the language of the cards. Fuller and more encompassing than just words. Especially in this deck, the pictures are like music to the eye, ideas to be understood and digested on many levels.

mooncat2

My deck has just arrived and I've barely looked at it yet but would like to join in these discussions.

My initial reaction to this Fool was surprise that in what looks to be a fairly RW orientated deck , she is so different. I love the drum - she is moving to the rhythm of her own drumbeat.

Jewel-ry

Hi there

I've been thinking about the drum. It can be said that it is a heartbeat, the heartbeat of the earth. It has spiritual importance to so many people and can be used to form a connection to the spirit world. Many cultures use them in ceremonies etc. It is a powerful sound which has an impact and can give courage.

Any other thoughts?

J :)