The Nine of Pentacles Reversed?

Enlightenment23

Hello all!

The Nine of Pentacles Rx is a card that I get stuck on sometimes because I only know its traditional meanings: lack of financial security, dependency.

But I've often found that these interpretations don't fit in certain situations. I've once heard of an alternative meaning for the Nine of Pentacles Rx in the "how someone sees you" position and that was, "She thinks you're someone you can just 'let it all hang loose' around. She's comfortable around you -- you don't have a stiff upper lip."

So I was wondering, during your experience, have you picked up any other nontraditional meanings for the Nine of Pentacles Rx?

PAMUYA

Hello all!

The Nine of Pentacles Rx is a card that I get stuck on sometimes because I only know its traditional meanings: lack of financial security, dependency.

But I've often found that these interpretations don't fit in certain situations. I've once heard of an alternative meaning for the Nine of Pentacles Rx in the "how someone sees you" position and that was, "She thinks you're someone you can just 'let it all hang loose' around. She's comfortable around you -- you don't have a stiff upper lip."

So I was wondering, during your experience, have you picked up any other nontraditional meanings for the Nine of Pentacles Rx?

Sees you as someone who needs to be taken care of, not just financial, not sure of ones self, won't spend any money on yourself, champaine taste on a beer buget. There seems to be an imbalance of need, wants, income, and / or knowing your self worth.

LeFou

...I only know its traditional meanings: lack of financial security, dependency.

I think what you have there are a couple traditional upright meanings, with one particular way of seeing reversals (lack of, negation). So if you look at other ways to consider reversals, you can expand those ideas very far. For example, the card's energy is there but hidden, not yet ready to manifest.

To generate more ideas, you can mix Suit + Number + Imagery. For example, 9 is the "end, culmination, highest expression" (or whatever). Coins are "earth energy, material life, organic growth, values." Of course in the imagery of RWS, we see someone in a (seemingly private) garden, with a falcon and snail.

So maybe as "how someone sees you," the person sees you as someone who "has it all" at least regarding earth energy (or house, or hobbies, or skills), but perhaps isn't somehow appreciating or taking full advantage (Rx).

nisaba

I'm not really sure what makers someone's interpretation "traditional" except that they published before me <grin>.

To me, often, reversal of a card changes the flow of its energy or action.

So instead of the querent sitting pretty in their garden and having everything they need at their fingertips, perhaps it is that they are able to bring that quality to other people in their situation.

Enlightenment23

Sees you as someone who needs to be taken care of, not just financial, not sure of ones self, won't spend any money on yourself, champaine taste on a beer buget. There seems to be an imbalance of need, wants, income, and / or knowing your self worth.

Hello Pamuya,

Yes, I suppose the "need to be taken care of" falls under the dependency category. Those are all pretty traditional meanings (meaning the so-called 'by the books' interpretations). But for instance, I've heard some readers here interpret the 9 of Pentacles as a woman who does not like to step out of her perfect little world, for instance. That's a nontraditional definition and I think it's interesting to see how others have interpreted alternate meanings for the 9 of Pents.

Enlightenment23

I think what you have there are a couple traditional upright meanings, with one particular way of seeing reversals (lack of, negation). So if you look at other ways to consider reversals, you can expand those ideas very far. For example, the card's energy is there but hidden, not yet ready to manifest.

To generate more ideas, you can mix Suit + Number + Imagery. For example, 9 is the "end, culmination, highest expression" (or whatever). Coins are "earth energy, material life, organic growth, values." Of course in the imagery of RWS, we see someone in a (seemingly private) garden, with a falcon and snail.

So maybe as "how someone sees you," the person sees you as someone who "has it all" at least regarding earth energy (or house, or hobbies, or skills), but perhaps isn't somehow appreciating or taking full advantage (Rx).

Hello there LeFou,

That's a pretty cool way of looking at reversals that I've never really considered -- I don't usually use numerology (only when there's a preponderance of a particular number in a reading). That's the thing with reversals, there's so many ways of looking at it: there's possibility that there's too little of that card's energy, too much energy, or maybe there's a blockage -- it can be quite daunting trying to figure out what that dang card is saying sometimes lol.

Enlightenment23

I'm not really sure what makers someone's interpretation "traditional" except that they published before me <grin>.

To me, often, reversal of a card changes the flow of its energy or action.

So instead of the querent sitting pretty in their garden and having everything they need at their fingertips, perhaps it is that they are able to bring that quality to other people in their situation.

Aaaaah that's interesting. I've never seen it as a redirection of energy. I've always seen reversals as a blockage, oversaturation, or lack of the card's energy. I'm going to have to slip that one in for my future interpretations. Maybe I will come up with some gems =D

Grizabella

Reversed, I think it could indicate agoraphobia. Have you thought of that? I think it would easily stand for that.

It could also mean a woman who is stuck at home but is married to someone who travels a lot for work or who is in the army or one of the other services. My late father-in-law was a doctor who was always away and when he took a vacation, he traveled to Africa on safari and other places, not always with his family, so I'm pretty sure his wife was often the 9 of Pentacles---extremely well provided for but home alone with the children.

Enlightenment23

Reversed, I think it could indicate agoraphobia. Have you thought of that? I think it would easily stand for that.

It could also mean a woman who is stuck at home but is married to someone who travels a lot for work or who is in the army or one of the other services. My late father-in-law was a doctor who was always away and when he took a vacation, he traveled to Africa on safari and other places, not always with his family, so I'm pretty sure his wife was often the 9 of Pentacles---extremely well provided for but home alone with the children.

Awesome Grizabella! Exactly the type of answer that I'm looking for. I've never heard about those interpretations before, but yet, they make perfect sense if the imagery.

In fact, looking back at some of my interpretations that I felt like "didn't it," agoraphobia seems to work. For instance, my mother just doesn't seem to like to go anywhere -- she's a homebody. I did a reading on why and I got the 9 of Pents Rx. And I'm like Hm....well, she's financially well. Not dependent on anyone. So I don't get it? Agoraphobia would make perfect sense.

I like your latter interpretation, too. Interesting! Thanks.