8 of cups as Death

magpie9

Hmm, just personally, I'd guess that if he had a terminal diagnosis, she wouldn't be asking, as she'd already know. With a different diagnosis, he might live for decades.

But evidently she's worried about him, and so maybe in a sense, they are confronting "the unknown" and embarking on a kind of journey. I wouldn't see any of those as "conclusions" but rather, starting points.

People often don't really accept a terminal diagnosis readily a great deal of the time. They keep hoping that it's a mistake. An a.talternative meaning for the 8 cups is moving away from what you have emotionally invested in in the past because you Re now moving towards something even better. Could be welcoming death and whatever comes after.

LeFou

It may be premature to bury this poor guy. Maybe he is just finishing treatment.

Ace

People often don't really accept a terminal diagnosis readily a great deal of the time. They keep hoping that it's a mistake. An a.talternative meaning for the 8 cups is moving away from what you have emotionally invested in in the past because you Re now moving towards something even better. Could be welcoming death and whatever comes after.

That is what I think also: he is finally at the acceptance stage of dying. Sad but there it is.
barb

LeFou

Ah, so he was indeed terminal?

Ace

Sorry, I wasn't around for a couple of days, but yes, I believe (But I don't know for SURE) he was declared terminal. And I think feeling that he had exhausted all treatment options.

The client said it was stage 4 which is pretty bad and he had been sick for a long time. She didn't say it was terminal, but that is what I think the 8 of cups meant.

barb

Ace

Think about some of the interpretations for that card:

• A change of heart
  • Turning away
  • Moving on
  • Withdrawing
  • Parting
  • Leaving the past behind
  • Walking away from a difficult situation
If the man's illness had been protracted and/or difficult, he probably was ready to turn away from it, to move on from it, to withdraw from it, to leave it behind and to walk away from it. Given it was cancer, about the only way to do any of those would be to welcome or move towards Death.

So I wouldn't say that the 8C could always mean death, but in this particular case I'd say that death is definitely within the realm of applicable interpretations for the card.

Rodney

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, but yes, I think you see what I mean. It means walking away from a situation you can't complete, and that would mean defeating death also. As I have said elsewhere, he may have run out of options and is now resigned to death.
barb