Which cards say narcissist?

Ruby Jewel

Some Hierophants do operate in insufferably self-aggrandizing ways that spill out from their assumed cloaks of "humble servitude"... The Chosen Ones who speak only the "Right" words and have the only voice really worth listening to, if you have any sense at all (so you'd better listen and heed -- ignoring the observations, doubts, and reasoning of your own silly, "disrespectful" brains -- if you know what's good for you, etc.)...

The medical profession, for example, is one place where they're often found. Also, I've drawn this card to represent an "immoderate moderator" (of an unrelated website) with a penchant for banning those whose personal opinions happened to differ from his own... When this practice was complained about, he'd publicly remind us (the site's admin, really) that he was the only active mod, doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart -- and had plans to make his own competing/"better" site if he were ever replaced. ;)

The Hierophant can be viewed as a potential or actual cult leader, too, just as compelling and misleading as the Devil; I haven't seen that the two cards must appear together/in the same reading for this to occur, though... A sufficiently "swollen", ego and dogma-filled Hierophant can apparently be enough.

That is a good one: the Heirophant as a narcissistic cult leader. Taurus is the Heirophant...as well as a teacher. Narcissism is epidemic in academia.

Barleywine

That is a good one: the Heirophant as a narcissistic cult leader. Taurus is the Heirophant...as well as a teacher. Narcissism is epidemic in academia.

I've always looked at the Devil as a corrupted Hierophant; in the RWS deck they even have a similar posture and right-hand gesture, and the same number of "acolytes." Each demands your soul in different ways, both a kind of surrender. In theory they are total opposites; in practice they are all too similar.

Ruby Jewel

I've always looked at the Devil as a corrupted Hierophant; in the RWS deck they even have a similar posture and right-hand gesture, and the same number of "acolytes." Each demands your soul in different ways, both a kind of surrender. In theory they are total opposites; in practice they are all too similar.

Barleywine, you are just too good (laugh). This is great. Thanks.

Ruby Jewel

As sort of an early synopsis here, so far, I'm seeing the following cards as definite indicators of narcissism:
K and Kn of Cups,
Page of Cups and (I would say Rx),
6 of Wands,
Magician,
Devil, and
Hierophant.
Haven't decided yet about Kn of W Rx....but will keep an open mind.
Also 9 of C... not yet convinced.
giving Chariot Rx and Emperor Rx a nod, and thinking about 5 S and 7 S a bit more.

Maru

Some Hierophants do operate in insufferably self-aggrandizing ways that spill out from their assumed cloaks of "humble servitude"... The Chosen Ones who speak only the "Right" words and have the only voice really worth listening to, if you have any sense at all (so you'd better listen and heed -- ignoring the observations, doubts, and reasoning of your own silly, "disrespectful" brains -- if you know what's good for you, etc.)...

The medical profession, for example, is one place where they're often found. Also, I've drawn this card to represent an "immoderate moderator" (of an unrelated website) with a penchant for banning those whose personal opinions happened to differ from his own... When this practice was complained about, he'd publicly remind us (the site's admin, really) that he was the only active mod, doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart -- and had plans to make his own competing/"better" site if he were ever replaced. ;)

The Hierophant can be viewed as a potential or actual cult leader, too, just as compelling and misleading as the Devil; I haven't seen that the two cards must appear together/in the same reading for this to occur, though... A sufficiently "swollen", ego and dogma-filled Hierophant can apparently be enough.

The Devil and the Pope (esp. rv) would appear to me to be another combination. The Pope is a character who expects his every word to be considered law.

Have you both been watching The Young Pope on HBO? :p

ihcoyc

I've always looked at the Devil and the Pope as mirror images of one another, each with their two acolytes, in a very similar pose. This goes back to the Marseille tradition at least.

Of the two, the Pope, especially when reversed or surrounded by uncomplementary cards, strikes me as more of the 'narcissist' than the Devil, who's a much more well rounded asshole. Self-deception is the first sort of deception a narcissist needs, and that's more Bad Pope than Devil territory. The Devil, whatever his flaws, doesn't make the mistake of believing his own lies.

Enlightenment23

I'm someone hopelessly and inadvertently drawn to narcissists in my love life. I suppose it's because I have low confidence, and so I seek high confidence in others. Downside is, I often end up getting the overconfident, narcissists.

That being said, in my experience, the three cards that always pop up to represent a narcissist are:

The 6 of Wands - They pretty much think they're the sh** and their poop doesn't stink.

The 9 of Cups - Someone who is too self-centered to care about anybody else but their own needs. They're very showy and self-aggrandizing. They are only interested in how you can help them rather than how they can help you. And if they do help you, it's only for very self-interested reasons.

The King of Wands - He (or she) is driven by his you-know-what, rather than his head or logic. And as a result, there's a lot of self admiration and excessive interest in their own drive and ambition - their own power.

Barleywine

In thinking about the Wands court in this sense, I believe I would go with the Knight of Wands because it's tied to the all-too-often self-impressed sign of Leo and also to the 6 of Wands. I had been thinking that the Wands male courts don't slow down long enough to look in a mirror, but if they're the overt type maybe that's the wrong paradigm if they stoke their self-love through the adulation of others (what I once saw described as being the "Hey, look at me!" attention-whore type). From an astrological perspective I don't think we need to tie it rigidly to reversal since the personality type probably says enough, but reversal would most likely complicate it or make it more covert. That would seem to be the worst scenario in a relationship since it could be insidious and not emerge all at once.

CosmicTarot

I see the Kn of W keeps coming up. I can see it....a big ego, but I don't think the Kn of Wands hangs out long enough to take the time or that much interest. I'm trying to understand the 9 of C ....the "wish card"....alcoholic maybe, but I don't see manipulative power plays like you see in the Devil and the Magician "control" or the emotional insecurity compensation of the K and Kn of Cups

I'm totally with you regarding KnoW. That's why I see him as the player and not a literal narcissist. I think (Rider-Waite) Nine of Cups coupled with Magician would give me: Self-conceited narcissist. Magician coupled with Devil: Ill intentions. Was it you who said something about narcissist in academia? That would definitely be KoS to me. But then again, he could just be cerebral and not a narcissist, so I'd look for other indications. After looking at Barleywine's post it did strike me that KoS coupled with Six of Wands, could signal someone who takes a lot of pride in their academic achievements. That could be well-deserved, but it could also be narcissism ...

Also, now I'm really curious about your experiences with narcissists in academia, but that would probably be way off topic.