Looking for a book with deeper suit explanations

Freyja of V

Hey everyone,
I have been learning Tarot for 2 years now and I have numerous beginner books. In each, the author's explanation of the suits are generalized and is usually a paragraph or 2 long for each.

:?:I am looking for a suggestion for a book, website or blog that dives much deeper into the characteristics of each suit and what they represent. Does anyone have a suggestion?

My interest lies mostly in the suit themselves, not as much about the card meanings. But I know they will most likely be included. So that's fine and of course I welcome even more ideas. But I wanted to clarify what I'm truly looking for. I feel like I need to learn and understand them better than I do now.:confused:

FYI: I read RWS decks and follow traditional GD associations.

Thanks, Freyja :)

bradford

Try this. It's free. http://www.hermetica.info/Tarot.htm
There's also a link at the top to a larger links page,
scroll down to the Suits and you will find several more resources there.

bradford

Do you happen to know which deck is being described for each card???

It's meant to apply to a variety of decks, including decks uninvented. But it leans to the Golden Dawn system and discusses the "Waite" deck pretty extensively.

Zephyros

Hey everyone,
I have been learning Tarot for 2 years now and I have numerous beginner books. In each, the author's explanation of the suits are generalized and is usually a paragraph or 2 long for each.

:?:I am looking for a suggestion for a book, website or blog that dives much deeper into the characteristics of each suit and what they represent. Does anyone have a suggestion?

My interest lies mostly in the suit themselves, not as much about the card meanings. But I know they will most likely be included. So that's fine and of course I welcome even more ideas. But I wanted to clarify what I'm truly looking for. I feel like I need to learn and understand them better than I do now.:confused:

FYI: I read RWS decks and follow traditional GD associations.

Thanks, Freyja :)

The best way I can think of is to go the route of working with the actual system. The suits represent the Four Worlds, and each has a specific role and dynamic. Did you study Qabalah?

Babalon Jones

How about a book on the Four Elements, like the one of that title by Margaret Gullan-Whur? I have it somewhere but confess it has been so long since I read it that I don't remember the contents, though it came to mind. If you are interested I will try to find it.

Freyja of V

Thank you all for your responses

Try this. It's free. http://www.hermetica.info/Tarot.htm
There's also a link at the top to a larger links page,
scroll down to the Suits and you will find several more resources there.

Thank you.:p

First, I want to ask you: Did you write everything on the site? I haven't had time to look around that much because there is a LOT of information, but what little I did read is really well written. I am always so amazed and equally grateful for the vast amount of time and energy it would take to offer such a large amount of information that could easily be sold as a book that instead is offered for free on a website for all to read and learn from. So, if you did write it, I want to thank you for doing so. Either way, thank you for pointing me to the site.

This is exactly what I was looking for. It's definitely a more in depth as well as intellectual explanation, which I appreciate. I also really like that there was a list of words and phrases to portray each suit. Having a list of words to describe their [suits] qualities is especially helpful. I only have 1 book, Joan Bunning's Learning The Tarot, that also gives a list of keywords for each suit and when I get a chance, I'd like to cross reference the 2 lists. I think it's going to be interesting to see how many words are the same/similar and to see the words that are different; I'm curious to see the difference in point of view. :thumbsup:

The best way I can think of is to go the route of working with the actual system. The suits represent the Four Worlds, and each has a specific role and dynamic. Did you study Qabalah?

No, I have yet to really learn about Qabalah. I have a brief (very brief) understanding of the Tree of Life and the Sephiroths, but that's about it. Because I am still so new, I have been putting off learning about Qabalah and Astrological correspondences. I thought I would wait until I felt comfortable with the cards and their meaning before I move forward.
:?:Do you think it would help? If so, how? You mentioned the Four Worlds. Which I know nothing about. Would you mind elaborating.

Although, I have been learning more about the elements, but only how they weaken, strengthen, or are neutral, and just recently started to analyze the elemental aspect of my readings. Which brings be to this next point...

How about a book on the Four Elements, like the one of that title by Margaret Gullan-Whur? I have it somewhere but confess it has been so long since I read it that I don't remember the contents, though it came to mind. If you are interested I will try to find it.

It's so funny you brought this up, because over the weekend I was thinking just that. Instead of trying to look for more information on the suits, I should read and learn more about the elements and there is tons of information on them. So, thank you for your suggestion. :) I looked up the book you mentioned on Amazon, and I could get a used book. Can't wait to read it. Thanks!

To everyone:
:?:May I ask though...why don't authors give more detail about the suits?

I only just started to look for more info on them, because I had posted a question asking which suit represents work and which for career. Thirteen wrote back with really good explanations, analogies, and examples showing the differences in the two and I was taken back because it made me realize that I didn't understand the suits as well as I thought I did. So, I began looking in all of my books (which I have dozens) and around the internet and I found that most give a paragraph or 2 and some only a line or 2 about them and what/who they represent. I don't understand why? There must be a reason because it's so common. I would think that having a good understanding of the suits would be essential for learning the cards. But I feel like maybe I'm wrong and not looking at it the right way.

:?:Could someone explain how to learn the suits better? Or Is it that I should learn more about the elements and like Zephyros suggested the Four Worlds of Qabalah.

Thank you again for all of your suggestions and I really would like your opinions about my last question.
Take care :livelong:, Freyja

Zephyros

No, I have yet to really learn about Qabalah. I have a brief (very brief) understanding of the Tree of Life and the Sephiroths, but that's about it. Because I am still so new, I have been putting off learning about Qabalah and Astrological correspondences. I thought I would wait until I felt comfortable with the cards and their meaning before I move forward.
:?:Do you think it would help? If so, how? You mentioned the Four Worlds. Which I know nothing about. Would you mind elaborating.

You asked for it })

The Four Worlds and the Tree of Life
The Court Cards

I like to toot my own horn. :D

bradford

Thank you.:p
First, I want to ask you: Did you write everything on the site?
Take care :livelong:, Freyja

Yes, and it's all a labor or of love. From the day I started studying I was under a personal oath to never pander or pimp out the work for personal gain. You give up too much in bringing things to market and down to lowest common denominators. That lowers the bar for everybody.
I guess the biggest problem with giving things away in this economic environment is people thinking that if something has no price it has no value.

coyoteblack

Robert place has a great book o history divination and meanings. Also his method of reading in threes and using direction and reason for not using reversals was one of my bigger turning points. Also 21 way to read tarot by Mary k Greer will help you find meanings for your self