The Clown, Vision Quest Study

shamoness

The Clown is equal to the Fool in other decks. He is Heyokah, the Coyote, the Trickster. The Clown/Coyote does so many silly things. He has painted his face so that he is wearing a smile and his tears are not falling from his eyes but over his head. He is backwards in so much that he is doing. Is he really jumping off that cliff or only teasing?

These are his lessons. What are we doing that is backwards? Do we have our priorities straight or perhaps they are to straight and the Clown is here to make us laugh at ourselves. Do we need to take some time to have fun because we are taking ourselves to seriously?

The Clown is free to do any silly thing he wants. But so are we! We are the ones who make the choices for ourselves. Clown says take a chance, have some fun,put your clothes on backwards and dance.

If you do reversals, which I don't, Clown could be saying you are to to free. You aren't aware of what is going on around you. The dog howling in the background of this card could be doing so over your putting your foot into it, yet again. Because clown does just that. He will step off the cliff, climb back up and step off again just to make sure that was really what happened to him the first time. One has to double check these things you know!

HarmonyWind

The Clown card makes me smile whenever I see it. The picture captures the dual aspects of the Clown-- he does look "innocent", in the sense of being positive or good-natured, and at the same time does look like he is up to something, as if he is enjoying a good inner chuckle, simulataneously fully enjoying himself, as well as expressing that enjoyment outward for others to benefit from-- represented by his attire and the way he looks like he is dancing-- something that is is both for himself as well as a display for others (he is looking right at us, aware that he is watched by others). I do wonder about the details-- the plant looks like sage, and so has a connection to both sacredness as well as purification. What is the bag he is holding in his left hand?

Two coyotes are behind him, and the one that is farther away is howling-- just like wolves, the howl is a way for distant pack members to communicate. Perhaps the far coyote represents some aspect of the Clown's identity or deepest desires calling to him from afar. Because the first coyote in the background is like a halo around him, it seems as if it is his spiritual or inner self that is being called to.

shamoness

Harmony, that is an excellent summary!

I was just looking at the Clown and noticed you can see his aura. He is Wankan/Holy. This can be thought of as the halo around pictures of Jesus. The same Holy aura is what is indicated. I am not saying the Clown is Holy like Jesus so don't anyone get their panties in a bunch!!! I mean that the Illustrator of the card is showing a holy aspect in regards to American Indian beliefs about the Clown.
Whew! I hope that came across correctly!

Anyone else see something we've missed?

What feelings does this card evoke in you?

GuiTarotGuy

I notice he is sorrounded by the color green, which is the color for growth and opportunity. He's walking on green grass, there are green shrubs (or bushes) all around him, the sky has green streaks, he has a green evergreen twig in his belt, his loincloth is mostly green, and his hair is tied with two green strips of cloth or string. This can mean that the Clown is literally surrounded by opportunities for growth - any path he takes along the green grass will ultimately lead to some growth experience that will be beneficial and that he will, ultimately, incorporate into his character.

Also note the medicine bag around his neck - he's also taken the time (presumably) to protect himself against evil and negativity. As such, his potential growth experiences should be positive ones.

Next, note that he has five pieces of cloths wrapped around very specific parts of his body - his neck, his two hands, and his two feet. To me this means that he also seeks protection and help from Spirit and the Four Elements. The cloth around his neck is for Spirit, the ones around his right hand for Air, the right leg for Fire, the left hand for Cups and the left leg for Earth. (My suppostions, you understand. :?) )

Finally, note that his aura is connected to the Wolf's aura, which could mean that the Wolf is his Animal Totem or Spirit Guide.

He may come across as funny, crazy, chaotic, naive and carefree, but it could all be a front or a facade for a person who is actually quite an enlghtened introvert who certainly seems to be connected in ways that will serve him well in the long run.

bluecaffeine

Did you notice the sky, the red/orange sky which might represent the element "fire". I noticed all the green as it was written before, and could connect it to the Green man in SacredCircle tarot. The coyote in the background might howl to call for help, if the clown falls down. The book says: in the little bags is medicine. So he could help himself when he is hurt or he can keep away the enemies, if the medicine smells bad i.e.
But maybe the book is not right, there could be pearls or jewels in the little bag, so he can change them, when he needs sth. But I personally find the sky as interesting as the fool, so intense. Don`t know if it is morning-sky or evening-sky, but perhaps the clown is waiting for the darkness or the brightness?

Rev_Vesta

0 Clown......

I don't use this deck very often for clients so find your input all very interesting.....

This card makes me think of the person.. beginning this journey? Is the journey Spiritual, physical or emotional? is it at the begining of the evening or the beginning of the morning?
Who is his loyal companion? what's above? what's below? what's within?

Being a clown, painting his face, i feel he is covering up, masking his true feelings, his true opinion, his truth......

Green, prosperity a possibilty, abundance, nuturing.......

medicine bag...... to assist him on his journey.... to protect him, a talsimin.......an amulet......

The Dog shows loyality...as a Spirit Guide, companion on this journey...... support.........

The call of the wild..........

Orange shows courage...

yellow success

Just some thoughts...........

Thank you for starting these threads.....

Vesta....

GuiTarotGuy

Something I just noticed...

He's positioned in such a way that he reminds me of someone facing a camera. It's almost as if this person is conciously trying to "play the fool" so that you'll never figure out that he knows far more than you think he knows. The makeup and costume are just an elaborate facade that enables him to be in the thick of things without anyone worrying about him or paying him any mind. He seems to be following the old Zen saying, "To become invisible, be visible."

quintessence

When studying several of the Native American cultures I learned about "Coyote Energy" which is an energy like the wind that tugs and pulls on the tent posts to make sure they are tight, and likes to stir things up when they get too stagnant. When schedules and regimens get too tight to allow for creativity, the coyote energy creates change. In this card, it incites the initiate through either startle or challenge to fall/step off the cliff and take a chance, to risk and test ones thoughts and nature; to find out what is really in that bag of yours.

fairybugg

quintessence said:
When studying several of the Native American cultures I learned about "Coyote Energy" which is an energy like the wind that tugs and pulls on the tent posts to make sure they are tight, and likes to stir things up when they get too stagnant. When schedules and regimens get too tight to allow for creativity, the coyote energy creates change. In this card, it incites the initiate through either startle or challenge to fall/step off the cliff and take a chance, to risk and test ones thoughts and nature; to find out what is really in that bag of yours.

I wanted to add that I love this post.
Something about coyotes that sticks out for me is that they are the gauges for imbalance. Because they live so close to humans they are a good barameter for when things have fallen out of balance. For instance, In Montana right now they are having a very hard time with an overpopulation of coyotes. Part of that is current practices with farming but the other part is that humans have killed off so many wolves.

With my ramble I guess I want to add that this card is also about balance. Allowing the inner mischif to comeout once in awhile but not letting it run amuck over our lives.

Pepe

The clown.

I love this card (as I also teach circus).

This card represents Karma, what you give out you get back.

Also, this person, knows that he's taking a risk, making faces, laughing out loud and making fun of those around him. He's likely to be taken for an idiot or rejected as much as he's able to be entertaining. He's taking a big risk, standing out of the crowd, and showing his skills or making a fool of himself. That is his KArma. But to be a successful clown takes skill, patience, perseverance, trial and error and also and mostly BELIEVING in what life gives to you as well as TRUSTING and having FAITH.

This person is as brave as he's foolish. being so close to the cliff.

He's someone else when he's dressed up as a clown. He can be whatever or whoever he wants, today he's a wolf/or bear or coyote.. tomorrow he's be someone else. That is how he's sees life, is believes he is life. he is what ever he believes or wants to be.

He won't fall over the cliff, he'll fly above it... and he'll show you because he knows and he believes !!!