Jacques Lefèvre d'Etaples

Huck

Jacques Lefèvre d'Etaples (also known as Jacobus Faber or Faber Stapulensis)

should have experimented with a didactical card play to teach mathematic before Thomas Murner made other didactical decks. D'Etaples should've met Murner ca. 1497/1498, probably in Paris.
Murner is said to got the idea from him - an older German biographical dictionary says so, a kind of information, which might be easily overlooked.

Perhaps somebody knows something: A didactical playing card experiment for learning mathematic.

jmd

My interest is piked...

I shall have a look at my small historical references in Mathematics when I get to my desk tomorrow...

Huck

John Meador found the following to the theme:

"An Italian Manuscript concerning "Pythagoras' Game" or
the "Rithmimacia" a highly complex mathematical game, with an
intriguing insert loosely attached to the body of the text with the
appropriate numbers and positions.
From the Giannalisa Feltrinelli Library as sold at Christie's in
December 1997 (lot 220) with a letter that explained that the second
half of the MS was found in the studio of the Aristotelian polymath
Jacques Lefevre d'Etaples and sent to Cosimo Rucellai in Florence"
http://www.adh.bton.ac.uk/schoolofdesign/MA.COURSE/LMM11.html

"Some old, famous and well-known printed books about Rithmomachia...
Jacobus Faber Stapulensis (Jacques Lefevre d'Etaples). 1496.
Rithmimachie ludus qui pugna numerorum appellare. In Jordanus
Nemorarius. Arithmetica decem libris demonstrata. edited by Jacobus
Faber Stapulensis. Paris: David Lauxius of Edinburgh...."
http://chessderivatives.blogspot.com/

"Virtually nothing is known about the origin of the game. But it is
known that medieval writers attributed it to Pythagoras, although no
trace of it has been discovered in Greek literature, and the earliest
mention of it is from the time of Hermannus Contractus (1013-1054)....
The game was played on a board resembling the one used for chess or
checkers, with eight squares on the shorter side, but with sixteen on
the longer side. The forms used for the pieces were triangles,
squares, circles, and pyramids"
http://rhythmomachy.exsudo.com/

Cerulean

I mentioned this sometime ago, there's a book:

Two medieval/renaissance games I'm looking into that might help me understand medieval/renaissance minds include rithmomachia (with links to astrology and chess) that might have been from 1100 to 1600 (8x12) and the later Mantegna of the 1400s (5x10). Both of these games had links to clergy, at least in popular mentions (Mantegna mention in the book Pagan Dream of the Renaissance; Rithmatica in the book called the Philosopher's Game).

I have the book The Philosopher's Game: Rithmomachia in Medieval and Renaissance Europe...in an earlier post I misspelled the reference.

The game originated in medieval cathedral schools through clergy education...it was an educational tool of Boethian mathematics, which was part of the old Latin liberal arts education in the 11th century, similar to chess. The written rules in the appendix are of 1563. The game grew out of favor as changes in education happened during the 'Scientific Revolution' after the Renaissance, according to the book.

I don't know if it is really of any interest any more? I found it a fascinating sidelight, but a dud in terms of tarot research...still, I thought it delightful.

Regards,

Cerulean

Huck

The middle link of John contains rather good material to Rhitmomachia.

But my question was about Jacob Faber ... Murner got from him the deciding idea to produce his first didactical deck .... at least a German biography dictionary told, that Jacon Faber produced another didactical card deck about mathematic in Paris. However, the book might err, and in reality Faber wrote his book about Rhitmomachia (1496) in Paris. Murner visited him 1498 and studied in Paris. In 1501/1502 he had the deck produced.

http://trionfi.com/0/j/d/murner/index.html

Small insecurities exist, if Faber really "also" a playing card deck produced ... still not impossible.