Would the Magician make a good husband?

Macavity

Originally posted by Lady Mary What kind of woman would attract and fascinate him?
Based on one couple I know and the GD schema, maybe a Princess of Disks would fit the bill? I do know (were I female) HE would irritate the heck outta me, but somehow it works for them. She gets him ready each morning (sic), pushes him out the door and... then does her own thing! She probably organises payment of all the bills too? :p

Macavity

darwinia

Thirteen said:
I take it this makes you a regal Queen of Swords?

Indeed. There is a positive side to the archetype though.

This Magician thread is quite interesting. I only met one and we were just friends but talk about competition. The battle of the big egos or something.

I think as a friend he would probably be steadfast and interesting to hang around with now and then, but as a husband I really can't imagine it. I'm sure it does happen but it must be quite a strange mix to get right.

To work with--magic!! To live with--666 Strangulation Avenue.

Thirteen

Re: Re: Would the Magician make a good husband?

Originally posted by Macavity Based on one couple I know and the GD schema, maybe a Princess of Disks would fit the bill? I do know (were I female) HE would irritate the heck outta me, but somehow it works for them. She gets him ready each morning (sic), pushes him out the door and... then does her own thing! She probably organises payment of all the bills too? :p

I keep jumping into this conversation--but only because it's such a good one!

I was thinking about the question of Disks, and yeah, maybe a Princess of Disks, because, as you say, she'd earn the money. But never a Queen of Disks ;) She's be like a nagging mother to our Magician. "Why can't you get a real job? There's an opening at my uncle's business....With your talent, you could be making so much money!"

Lady Mary

The Magician is No 1 in Tarot. In the RW deck he has all the tools to his disposition and the infinity sign over his head; one hand points to heaven, one to earth. To me this card or the person who is a Magician is IMO more than only a trickster or a cheap small-time crook with only hot air ideas. He is a man with great potential and he can be a very successful businessman. He doesn’t necessarily have to be someone who is always wasting his talents. He isn’t dull and boring and he has unusual and extraordinary ideas. So why shouldn’t he be able to turn them into reality. And why should the Queen of Swords always find a hair in the soup and criticize him? And why should he always spoil her dinner parties? I picture both of them way too smart to do such things (in a fate-like manner). They know what they have of each other. They won’t stick together all the time because they know how important it is to lead an own independent life – and both are very independent personalities. But when they’re together it can/will be a very intense relationship with deep love.

Diana

I agree with Lady Mary here. I think there has been a lot of sterotyping in this thread about the Magician (as well as the Queen of Swords).

The Bateleur, or if you prefer, the Magician, is quite a marvellous fellow. I get the impression many people only tend to see him with his "reversed" meanings.

As long as he learns to assume his responsibilities, which he is perfectly capable of doing, I think all could be well in the best of worlds with him as a partner.

And I certainly don't agree with the take that he could not be a good father. Any Tarot character can be a good father - it depends what one considers a good father to be, I suppose........

Alex

And a good husband also depends on what one considers to make a good husband.
Alex.

Lady Mary

A good partner

He/she makes you smile and sing and laugh and dance. (Look into a mirror – and you’ll see it in your face!)
He/she’s capable of bringing forward the best in you.
He/she’s by your side when you need him/her.
But he/she’ll let you enough space and freedom to grow and develop an own life.

Alex

Some would say

"A good husband is a good slave to me and my (our, or just a detail?) offspring!"
Alex.

Lady Mary

My god, how terribly boring to have a slave as a husband. I know some people seem to think that way. But isn’t it much easier (and in the long-run even cheaper) to just call the next plumber when your toilet needs to be fixed, or order a pizza from the pizza-shop across the street, when you’re in the mood for fast food? But when it comes to love I want a man, not because he’s a good worker, handy man, slave, provider, etc. (well, nice by-products maybe), but because he is the man I love and respect.

... the one who is my "Romeo, my wonder boy, my super champ, who takes me to the milky way on a holiday, ..." - even "when it's not my birthday".

darwinia

Diana said:
I think there has been a lot of sterotyping in this thread about the Magician (as well as the Queen of Swords).

Much of it done jokingly, but I guess if you don't get the joke.....

My reference to 666 was a private joke related to my friend's real name and nothing more.

Inflexible archetypes are senseless but it's interesting to note similarities to people's personalities and the archetype. It's also interesting when others uncannily pinpoint the outcome of putting two archetypes together.

Individuals being the unique sprites that they are, I would think reason would overcome the need to rigidly label a person as an archetype.

For some, speculation can be an amusing exercise in creativity though. Do you ever notice that if you say "Hermes" it sounds like someone wheezing with laughter?