8 of cups= peaceful

olivia1

Hi all I recently asked the cards of I would get along with the others girls at this job I expect to start in a few weeks and drew the 8 of cups. I definitely don't see it as a fiery or combative card but I don't think it's social either. Would you say that this card is more of the "avoidance" card since it's a card about walking away? Or do you think this card, in this context, simply means turning one's back on their "emotions"?

Absynthe

I get this one a lot for myself, and for me, it's a form of weakness within me. Where I feel defeated and just walk away from issues rather than deal with them. In your context, I would see it as you feeling that you just can't connect and need to look elsewhere for companionship or friendship. Maybe you'll extend the hand of friendship but they are already a closed group and don't seem to be very open? And maybe this is only a short-term thing but over time they will become more open.

rwcarter

Hopefully, this is one card from a larger reading and not a one card reading....

Given the circumstances, I'd agree with your last take of turning your back (or in other words not engaging) in the emotions of your new co-workers.

Esk

Hi Olivia,
Indeed this is not a very social card. It's possible that you will not be interested in the other girls, maybe you will not have the same interests or you just can't connect well with them. They may not bring you what you expect from friends so it is possible you will distance and don't socialize much with them.

olivia1

Thanks everyone. No its not the only card I drew but it was the only vague one. The others were very positive. I know two of the girls and I view them as frenemies but I hope we at least can be cordial. I don't want drama and hope we can at least get along. In our line of work, sabotaging and back stabbing is the norm I just hope we can not have drama

ana luisa

In fact, it could be both. Cups, to me, are about gathering, collecting. If you are walking away it means you are not "keeping" their influence or letting annoyances pile up inside of you. You just let them pass by. Not letting them affect you. You may expect cliques as well because the cups in this cards are usually grouped.

olivia1

In fact, it could be both. Cups, to me, are about gathering, collecting. If you are walking away it means you are not "keeping" their influence or letting annoyances pile up inside of you. You just let them pass by. Not letting them affect you. You may expect cliques as well because the cups in this cards are usually grouped.

Thanks. And I never thought of the grouped cups as cliques but that is interesting

Thirteen

Would you say that this card is more of the "avoidance" card since it's a card about walking away? Or do you think this card, in this context, simply means turning one's back on their "emotions"?
Turning one's back on certain emotions is very close to what certain decks have as the meaning of this card. Essentially, an excess of emotion, that the person has, formerly, indulged in, has turned them off from it and they have had their fill of it. The problem with understanding this answer, however, is that you essentially asked a yes/no question of the cards--which, as you might know, isn't the best thing to do when asking questions of the tarot. Because the tarot usually has complex answers, not simple yes/no answers.

In this case, you asked if you'd get along with the other girls. And sure enough, the answer is neither yes or no. It's "You will turn away from their emotional excesses." Meaning, you likely won't be social with them when they're involved in the drama that often is seen in workplaces between co-workers. But that doesn't mean you won't get along with them at all or never. It all depends on how much drama there is and how strongly they want to draw you into it. If they are demanding on reeling you into the drama, you won't get along.

Your avoidance of drama, however, could mean that you get along with everyone because no one sees you as favoring a side.

Yes/no...try asking the cards "How will my relationship with the other girls be?" That might give you a clearer picture. It looks to me like you'll be neither on the outs nor "in" with them, but that might be very good for you if that keeps you friendly yet uninvolved.

olivia1

In this case, you asked if you'd get along with the other girls. And sure enough, the answer is neither yes or no. It's "You will turn away from their emotional excesses." Meaning, you likely won't be social with them when they're involved in the drama that often is seen in workplaces between co-workers. But that doesn't mean you won't get along with them at all or never. It all depends on how much drama there is and how strongly they want to draw you into it. If they are demanding on reeling you into the drama, you won't get along.

Your avoidance of drama, however, could mean that you get along with everyone because no one sees you as favoring a side.

Yes/no...try asking the cards "How will my relationship with the other girls be?" That might give you a clearer picture. It looks to me like you'll be neither on the outs nor "in" with them, but that might be very good for you if that keeps you friendly yet uninvolved.

Thank you, thirteen
Your view is very insightful. I always learn so much from reading your take.. And you are right I should have what my relationship with them would be like...I don't know why I didn't think to format it that way. Thanks again :)