Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

zan_chan

So the Noblet is here.

It's out of its box, sitting next to me now in a little pile, looking all white and clean.

Le Fov is on top, mooning me.

I looked through it a little and saw lots of red sticks. I think its mocking me.

I can do this, right?

The backs are cool. That's a start. (Isn't it?)

zan_chan

Meanwhile, I just googled TdM and learned an invaluable piece of information:

"TDM are South African manufacturers of high quality wooden doors. A good looking door adds character and value to a home."

I bet you didn't know that.

Mi-Shell

Hi Everyone!
Just checking in.
I am VERY busy these days with teaching schoolwork, clients in trouble and on top of that I am called to work on the Truth and Reconcilliation Commission of Ontario and so although it is just March I have almost no free time.....
I am doing my daily draws, but otherwise the Greenwood is on the back burner, sad to say...
Zan_chan, I have to say: You are very brave!:)

zan_chan

Ah, thanks Mi-Shell! Brave or stupid-- I'm not sure which :laugh:

Good luck with your work-- you sound very busy! Don't worry about the Greenwood. It isn't going anywhere. Just like Hermann can wait for me to do this TdM thing, I'm sure Greenwood is happy to wait for you :)

Wendywu

Mi-Shell said:
Hi Everyone!
Just checking in.
I am VERY busy these days with teaching schoolwork, clients in trouble and on top of that I am called to work on the Truth and Reconcilliation Commission of Ontario and so although it is just March I have almost no free time.....
I am doing my daily draws, but otherwise the Greenwood is on the back burner, sad to say...
Zan_chan, I have to say: You are very brave!:)

Hang in there Mi-Shell - the cards will still be there but the people need you now :) Remember not to tire yourself out....

Zan - you can do this! Think back to how it was when you first stared at Hermann.... it won't be that long before the glimmerings of understanding start to come through to you :)

Bat Chicken

Zan - Not only can you do it, but you're going to love it! That Fool is taunting you! Tell him to go jump off a cliff.... ;) :D (He's my favourite card in the Noblet... LOL!)

zan_chan

Bat Chicken said:
Zan - Not only can you do it, but you're going to love it! That Fool is taunting you! Tell him to go jump off a cliff.... ;) :D (He's my favourite card in the Noblet... LOL!)

Thanks, Bat Chicken! Not gonna lie-- I'm already loving it! :D I am more terrified of tarot than I have ever been and its fantastic. I do love a challenge and its been so much fun living in the Historical sub-forums this week. There are so many incredibly knowledgeable people in there.

And the decks! So many new (old) decks to pine after! And the Noblet really is fabulous, isn't it? Such great backs! (Uh-oh, I'm starting with the multiple exclamation points again. That's how you know I'm really serious :laugh: )

But yeah, this is going to be a good time, I think. I'm jumping right back into the IDS exchange without any pause, so I do apologize in advance to whomever my partner ends up being... tee hee....

flying black kat

zan_chan: I am so glad to read that you are enjoying the Noblet. The world of the historical decks is amazing. My first TDM - Convos by AGMuller is in French which I neither can read, write or speak. My very first English version of a TDM was when I bought a Grimaud from Rodney. I figured since I "knew" (do we ever really know?) how to read RWS a TDM would just be a little harder because of the language barrier, WRONG. The difficulty I had trying to decide what was a upright and reversed position for the unillistrated pips drove me up a wall. I actually put them away for awhile and went back to a RWS decks which by now I found borring. The Heron TDM is more of a photocopy and you can see the tax stamp at the bottome of the cards which helps to let you know which way the cards should be. On the decks that I have decided to use the most I cheated and put a little mark on the back of the pip cards in the lower left hand corner. I also used a corner rounder on a Vieville, Noblet, and the Il Meneghello's Classico Tarocco Di Marsiglia to make them easier on my hands to use.

I have been following this thread for so long. I was going to asked to be put on the Greenwood study list, but I so enjoyed the Ironwing which seems to have it's own independent life like the Greenwood. (All I have is the Majors and the extra cards that Loreena sent to me. A very beautiful and extra ordinary person.) Every time I go to put in an ISO request in the trading forums for an Ironwing 78 card deck someone else does. I am going to work with the cards I have in the Ironwing.

Dear Kat: Please add me to the IDS list for the Greenwood with a side of Ironwing. Thank You.

Be at Peace.

Kathy

Wendywu

Hi Kathy - welcome! Yay for another Ironwinger among us :) I am always soooo glad when someone else falls in love with this deck - it has so much to teach and say that it is sad that so few actually work with it. (not meant as a dig to anyone who has it and doesn't yet use it :) ... we all have Other Decks and not enough time)

Today I raved about my new Book of Kaos, looked through it lovingly and happily and now - I just put it on the shelf... Part of me looks forward to the day I can work with all these beautiful decks I have, but another part asks why on earth I would want to, when I have Ironwing who offers more than I could ever learn....

So I guess - no change for me for the foreseeable ....

zan_chan

Kat dear (er, thorhammer kat...there are so many kats around here these days)-- I think you can change me from TBD to the Jean Noblet. I signed up for jmd's pdf course (which, coincidentally, starts tomorrow-- what timing!) and that uses the Noblet exclusively, so I kind of had that decision made for me. However, I'm really not going to let myself feel guilty about doing a good amount of comparing and contrasting the Noblet to other TdMs and TdM-family decks (The Ancient Tarot of Pyonyang or wherever). Even in a reading, if I'm having trouble getting anything out of a Noblet pip and think that it might help to see the same pip from the Conver (for example) than so be it. The whole goal of this second IDS is to answer a lot of my "Whys" and I think that deck comparison, trying to understand what may have caused some of the bigger differences, and why one over the other was chosen in most modern decks, seems like it could be a big part of Why. (Now I'm gonna need a backup Noblet as to not get agida every time I take this one out of the house). (No decision on names yet either. I'm considering John. Jean is too annoying. And if I do go with Jean, I'm happily pronouncing it like Gene. Sorry French people.)

Kathy-- welcome to club IDS-- the drinks are strong, the music's loud, and the bouncer's....er, an angel }) Thanks for your advice with TdM. I'd been considering rounding the Noblet's corners, but apparently I'm a masochist and quite like the little sting of those points against my palm. And its so true about the little stamp at the bottom of the Conver cards. They are helpful! (I don't read with reversals, but I do always keep the cards the right-way up. Now the question is whether are not TdM pips actually have a right way up...)

Anyway, enjoy the journey with the Greenwood. There are so many brilliant people studying it these days who have been posting such fantastic resources for you to scour over.