FISH?!

FairyCrystal

I also had it come up in relation to love as "Plenty of fish in the sea". So not headed towards commitment.

Izzydunne

So far these have been mentioned as meanings for Fish:

Depth of flow
Fertility
Free Spirit
Available
Abundance
Plenty of Fish in the sea
Strong feelings
Alcoholism
Addiction

To me this shows how crazy the definitions of Lenormand cards have become. So many possible meanings of one card, and in a reading you will never know what it means. Books like Rana George's don't help with the endless lists of meanings. From my perspective, Lenormand students would be better served with just 3 meanings per card. Keep it simple and you will be able to arrive at accurate answers. Make it complex and confusion is the result.

SunChariot

So far these have been mentioned as meanings for Fish:

Depth of flow
Fertility
Free Spirit
Available
Abundance
Plenty of Fish in the sea
Strong feelings
Alcoholism
Addiction

To me this shows how crazy the definitions of Lenormand cards have become. So many possible meanings of one card, and in a reading you will never know what it means. Books like Rana George's don't help with the endless lists of meanings. From my perspective, Lenormand students would be better served with just 3 meanings per card. Keep it simple and you will be able to arrive at accurate answers. Make it complex and confusion is the result.

To me it says something beautiful, that Lenormand decks have become like Tarot. In that the reader is free to individualize her readings. To choose the meaning that feel most meaningful to her/him and that give her/him the kind of readings they most want to do. That to me is good.

I don't think it means that because people hear could easily list 25 or more meanings that all those 25 are possible. I believe each reader needs to decide on a few they plan to use and ignore the rest. But the meanings we choose can differ. We get to choose, but we don't all make the same choices.

Eg I may have the card mean: abundance, free spirit and strong feelings. And never use alcoholism. Another reader may use alcoholism and addiction and never use abundance.

I think it's a good thing that people can individualize meaning, but each reader has to be clear on which they choose to use before reading. You don't have to and really can't use them all. But you get to choose which ones...

I do think though that you need to be clear in your mind of what YOUR few meanings are before you start so that, as you said things don't get complex and confusing.

Babs

surpeti

Eg I may have the card mean: abundance, free spirit and strong feelings. And never use alcoholism. Another reader may use alcoholism and addiction and never use abundance.

I think it's a good thing that people can individualize meaning, but each reader has to be clear on which they choose to use before reading. You don't have to and really can't use them all. But you get to choose which ones...

I do think though that you need to be clear in your mind of what YOUR few meanings are before you start so that, as you said things don't get complex and confusing.

I agree that you need to be clear on what meaning you assign to a card and have just one or a few meanings. However, when I look at the list posted earlier, I see an underlying theme of ABUNDANCE that is applied to different areas--abundance of feelings, partners, money, alcohol, etc. I might include a second keyword, FLOW, and that would account for playing the field or liquid-related meanings like alcohol. Just the keywords themselves can be hard to work with for beginners (like myself), so it is helpful to see how they can be applied to a huge number of situations. Most of the words on the list are what some people call "progressed meanings"--the application of abundance/flow to a specific area.

I consider myself a beginner, but when I look at long lists like this I try to see the keywords in all of them. Then the list makes sense to me; it's not just something to blindly memorize, or pick from. Hope this approach helps someone else.

Izzydunne

Sun Chariot says:

"To me is says something beautiful , it says Lenormand decks have become like Tarot."

That is the problem not the solution. Why must Tarot readers incessantly attempt to turn Lenormand into the Tarot?

Glass Owl

Moderator Note

Folks, let's please get back to the topic of this thread, which is the definition(s) of the Fish card.

Thank you,
Glass Owl

surpeti

Folks, let's please get back to the topic of this thread, which is the definition(s) of the Fish card.

Thank you,
Glass Owl

Okay, to clarify my previous post in relation to the topic, I would define the keywords of Fish as ABUNDANCE and FLOW. The application of these keywords to different topics would result in the various meanings others have put forth, such as money-making opportunities, playing the field, alcoholism, etc.

ana luisa

Adding two major meanings that can also be assigned to Fish - DEPTH (not necessarily related to flow but to dark, hidden and/or profound) and FEELINGS. Depth for the nature of the fish itself and Feelings because water is intimately related to emotions.

Izzydunne

Surpeti said:

"I would like to define the keywords to Fish as abundance and flow."

So if you drew the man card followed by the fish card would you say "this man has flow"?

Ana Luisa said: Two major meanings for the Fish card are depth and feelings."

So, if you drew the man card followed by the fish card would you say "this man had depth, or this man has feelings"?

Chanah

Surpeti said:

"I would like to define the keywords to Fish as abundance and flow."

So if you drew the man card followed by the fish card would you say "this man has flow"?

Ana Luisa said: Two major meanings for the Fish card are depth and feelings."

So, if you drew the man card followed by the fish card would you say "this man had depth, or this man has feelings"?

I think that would happen only if you ignore the context of the question, Izzy. Maybe he's a rich guy. Maybe he's a drunk. What are you asking about? Be mindful that one card only is not likely to give you the complete picture - what else is around the Fishes or the Gentleman?