Lenormand books

Barleywine

With Andy's book, I recommend you first go through all the cards and create your own journal with the main keywords for each card. Use a journal that is small enough that you can carry it around with you. Label 1-2 pages for each card. Keep your list simple: 2-3 nouns (emphasize 'near' meanings), 2 adjectives, 1-2 'far' meanings. Later you can add more keywords and sample pairs but for now, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

You might want to practice some card pairs - just to see if you get it. Go back over Andy's examples if you don't! Then three-card readings. (You can practice far meanings in short readings by using reversals to indicate 'far'.)

Fairly early on, I suggest laying out a Grand Tableau and read all the very near cards (the Square of 9 or portion thereof around your Significator) and all the far cards (the furtherest column away from the Significator). Ignore everything else. Summarize what just this much is saying.

At some point, I recommend a practice exercise that was used by Belgian author, Erna Droesbeke, that works *perfectly* with Andy's book. Lay out a Grand Tableau. Go through the whole thing, card by card in the numerical order of the cards (1-Rider, 2-Clover . . .). Read Andy's text for each card, and determine how it applies in your own Grand Tableau. It will take you several hours to go through the whole thing, but I can't think of a better way to familiarize yourself with how each card inter-relates with the others and how near/far works. BTW, this is not how most people actually read the GT (see Andy's book), but it's one of the best practice exercises I've ever tried and the card text in Andy's book works so well when doing it!

I'm about half-way through reading Andy's book now and it's in line with his many blog posts, his comments here and the material he contributed to the Gilded Reverie PDF document. He definitely keeps the card meanings pared down to their simplest terms and doesn't digress into debating whether the idiosyncracies of one system are any more valid than those of another. I'm not sure about its usefulness to the absolute beginner, though, since it doesn't do a lot of "hand-holding." My daughter expressed an interest in learning, so I bought her a copy of the Gilded Reverie that she loved so much when I read for her, and debated for a while which book to buy to go with it. I finally settled on Rana's book for now, since I also found it very approachable and not at all intimidating.

It's interesting that, when I first picked up Lenormand, I plunged right into the GT and the near/far method seemed very natural - "organic" might be a better word - as did the straightforward material in the Phillipe Lenormand sheet. I feel that I got a sensible grounding in what Lenormand is about, and Andy's book builds strongly on that basis.

silvereye

Hi having consulted rana georges book on several readings I do here on the exchange I got to say this book is excellent. The lay out is clear and simple. Very well written, thumbs up!!

Barleywine

Here's my copy of Andy's book all "tricked out" in Post-it tabs for ease of reference. I expect to get a lot of use out of it.

Attachments

• DSCN1083.jpg
    DSCN1083.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 214

silvereye

Dont think I saw Andy's book on amazon? Where is it available from?

Disa

On the recommendation of many of you in this thread, I ordered (and just received 5 minutes ago and on a Sunday!!!!) Rana George's book "The Essential Lenormand".

I had ordered, simultaneously "The Secrets of the Lenormand Oracle" by
Sylvie Steinbach. It hasn't arrived, yet.

I'm totally new to the Lenormand and I just was not sure where to start, so I was happy to find this thread. Thanks to you all for posting your ideas and opinions on the books. Hopefully between these two I can get a handle on things :)

BlueLotus

I've just placed my order of Caitlín Matthews' new book, The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook: Reading the Language and Symbols of the Cards, and surprisingly or not, it's 'Preparing for shipment'; I am so excited :D

Disa

I've just placed my order of Caitlín Matthews' new book, The Complete Lenormand Oracle Handbook: Reading the Language and Symbols of the Cards, and surprisingly or not, it's 'Preparing for shipment'; I am so excited :D

That IS surprising. I ordered mine August 31 on Amazon and it's saying expected delivery Nov 17 or thereafter. Amazon is so strange lately. I always opt for free shipping and things used to come in two days anyway- now they take weeks.

Teheuti

I just got my copy - directly from the publisher - and it is gorgeous. This is a must-have book!

kell

I pre-ordered my Caitlin Matthew's book a couple months ago...checked Amazon, and it's saying today, Sept. 22, is the pub date. Mine says arrival time is Oct 6, and it's not preparing for shipment. Weird how we have different dates. Dang it!
Maybe those of you who get the book early will give us a brief synopsis...pretty please:)