Lenormand decks with extra cards?

silvereye

Which Lenormand decks have extra cards but still remain true to the original Lenormand images?

I am a complete beginner on Lenormand and though such a combo would offer most flexibility.

I thought of getting Gilded reverie but the mass market version does not come with the extra cards. The under the roses but it has some cards changed as I understand.

Im used to reading tarot and to the lovely images of tarot so not quite attracted to the more simplistic imagery on the traditional Lenormand decks that I have seen.

I thought of getting the Enchanted Lenormand but the images in the bubbles are so small!!

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Melia

Hi Silvereye, tarotlyn (a member here) produces Lenormand decks with extra cards. If you search for her username on this site and click on it, she has a homepage you can visit where you can see all of her decks. I've also seen a Lenormand deck on kickstarter that had extra cards, but I don't recall the name of it at the moment.

Also, if you are a beginner, give up the notion of complex imagery for Lenormand - the simpler the imagery, the better. And, simple doesn't have to mean the images can't be beautiful (there are some lovely new decks being released in the near future that have beautiful imagery, such as the Lisa Hunt Fairytale Lenormand, the Pagan Lenormand by Franco Rivoli, and the Celtic Lenormand by Will Worthington - a 45 card deck so it has extra cards). And, if you haven't already explored her youtube site, Donnaleigh (Tarot Tribe Beyond Worlds) has a wealth of knowledge about the cards, from what decks are best/easiest to read with and why, to how to learn to read with the cards, as well as many Lenormand deck reviews.

The Enchanted Lenormand you reference isn't the best deck out there imo. I think the darkish, busy background on the cards along with the small images makes it difficult to find the cards in large spreads like the grand tableau (which you will want to learn). In addition, a playing card insert on one of the cards is incorrect. I have this deck and never use it.

My advice, if you are starting out, is maybe go with one of the older style/traditional decks with the playing card inserts, say something like the Dondorf Lenormand which can be bought relatively cheaply, or if you think keywords on cards would help make the learning easier, tarotlyn has produced a deck with keywords, and there's also one called the Keywordy Lenormand by Tierney Sadler, but I'm sure there are others.

Richard

Which Lenormand decks have extra cards but still remain true to the original Lenormand images?
If it has extra cards, it generally would not be regarded as authentic Lenormand. However, the extra cards can be left out of a reading. Then it is presumably okay. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with extra cards, but there are those who will tell you that any deviation from strict orthodoxy will screw up your readings by introducing inconsistencies.

I'm used to reading tarot and to the lovely images of tarot so not quite attracted to the more simplistic imagery on the traditional Lenormand decks that I have seen.
As Melia says, the simpler, the better. The images can be pretty, but they must not distract from the actual reading. The images basically serve only as place markers: rooms within the memory castle wherein dwell the almighty Keywords. It makes one wonder why so much artistic talent is expended on Lenormand when the LEN Minimalist is all that is necessary. However, I'm a heretic.

silvereye

Thanks guys for your prompt response. I am now looking for a traditional deck that would appeal to my taste...hmmm... haven't seen the dondorf lenormand. Where I am the selection for all decks is limited n the decks sell for double the price from that on amazon (I am based in Asia) but book depository has free shipping so I'll get whatever is available from there!

Lee

The Enchanted Lenormand you reference isn't the best deck out there imo. I think the darkish, busy background on the cards along with the small images makes it difficult to find the cards in large spreads like the grand tableau (which you will want to learn). In addition, a playing card insert on one of the cards is incorrect. I have this deck and never use it.

Personally, I like the Enchanted Lenormand set. While the design is a bit busy, to my eyes the basic symbols still stand out. The Cross card is a bit non-standard, showing a road rather than an actual cross, but the image is designed in such a way as to suggest a cross pattern, so you can still see a cross in it. It also has the advantage of including a very good and thorough book by Caitlin Matthews.

Is there really an incorrect playing card insert in the Enchanted? There may be, but I don't recall reading that and don't have time now to check.

Richard

Thanks guys for your prompt response. I am now looking for a traditional deck that would appeal to my taste...hmmm... haven't seen the dondorf lenormand. Where I am the selection for all decks is limited n the decks sell for double the price from that on amazon (I am based in Asia) but book depository has free shipping so I'll get whatever is available from there!
Here are two Dondorf type Lenormands. I got the first one from Book Depository. It is my favorite of the traditional decks. French Cartomancy is a larger version.
Lenormand Orakelspielkarten (Königsfurt)
French Cartomancy (Lo Scarabeo)

Richard

.......Is there really an incorrect playing card insert in the Enchanted? There may be, but I don't recall reading that and don't have time now to check.
There was one in Ciro's Gilded Reverie, but it was corrected in later printings.

Melia

Is there really an incorrect playing card insert in the Enchanted? There may be, but I don't recall reading that and don't have time now to check.

Yes Lee, there is an error in the Enchanted, but I don't recall at the moment which card as I don't have the deck close by.

Lee

OK, I checked it out. Melia, you are correct! :) Card 21 Mountain should be 8 of Clubs, but in the Enchanted it's the 8 of Spades. (I can see how the mistake might have been made - the previous card, 20 Park, is 8 of Spades.)

I do now remember discussion of the Gilded as LRichard mentions.

Hopefully there will be further printings of the Enchanted so it can be corrected.

Personally, while I like to see the the playing card inserts for historical reasons, I don't actually use them for anything, so it wouldn't matter to me. But for those who do use them, I can see why it would be dismaying.

As far as extra cards go, I'm in favor of them because they give more flexibility and options for the reader, and are easily set aside if one wants to work with the traditional 36.

silvereye

I thought the extra cards were used to add another person in the spread as a significator like in tarot so u can tell when it means someone is appearing but reading the reviews on Under the Roses I realise it was for personalisation so u get to choose which best represents the querent like the significator for a celtic cross spread?

I have ordered Rana geroge's new book- very excited now!!!