Card Numbers

Village Witch

I personally pay no attention to the card numbers when doing a reading. Neither do I put the cards in order by number before shuffling for a reading.

What is the significance of the card numbers?

What purpose do the card numbers serve or mean to you?

Lunajade

I don't use the numbers on the cards either. As far as i know the numbers are (only) used for the Grand Tableau positions. The first position is the house of the rider, the second the house of the clover etc.

porcupines

I add them up to find a sum for the spread. And then try to read the sum card the way people do quint cards in Tarot (I do not read quint cards in tarot readings though, the sum card in lenormand spreads just seem to make sense for me in my deck).

Village Witch

I don't use the numbers on the cards either. As far as i know the numbers are (only) used for the Grand Tableau positions. The first position is the house of the rider, the second the house of the clover etc.

I admit that the numbers make positions in the GT easier to find, but still I find them unnecessary even in the GT as I use a numbered cheat sheet for Lenormand house layouts.

Village Witch

I add them up to find a sum for the spread. And then try to read the sum card the way people do quint cards in Tarot (I do not read quint cards in tarot readings though, the sum card in lenormand spreads just seem to make sense for me in my deck).

I am not familiar with quint cards. Will have to google. :)

I tried summing the cards a few times, but it didn't resonate with me. One sum I came up with gave the opposite of what I read in the cards. Unless I did not sum correctly. I am going to assume there are rules to the method of summing the cards.

I do not reduce sums such as 11 or 22 to 2 or 4, which is a carry over for me from numerology. Are their certain numbers you do not reduce?

I hope I am not going off topic here.

Lee

I don't interpret the numbers in any way when reading, but it sure is handy to have the numbers when you're memorizing meanings and want to look up a card you're not sure of.

Le Fanu

I use them; using houses is quite new to me so I count up the card position and find that number so I know what house it's in. I have never been able to memorise the order of the cards, so the numbers are useful to me.

porcupines

I do not reduce sums such as 11 or 22 to 2 or 4, which is a carry over for me from numerology. Are their certain numbers you do not reduce?

I hope I am not going off topic here.

I do reduce them to the lowest single digit number, yes.

Village Witch

Originally Posted by Village Witch: I do not reduce sums such as 11 or 22 to 2 or 4, which is a carry over for me from numerology. Are their certain numbers you do not reduce?

I do reduce them to the lowest single digit number, yes.

Then you would never end up with any answers/sum above nine. What is the reason for eliminating 2/3's of the deck? I am not challenging or criticizing your method, just trying to understand it.

Village Witch

I don't interpret the numbers in any way when reading, but it sure is handy to have the numbers when you're memorizing meanings and want to look up a card you're not sure of.

Yes, the numbers do come in handy in that respect. Very helpful. :-D