Yes/No Questions

Aster Breo

How do you ask yes/no questions when using a Lenormand deck? Do you have any particular spreads you prefer? Single card draw?

Or do you rephrase the question so it's not a yes/no?

I've been experimenting with different ways of doing this. Lately, I've been doing 2-card draws. But sometimes the answer is very difficult to understand as a yes or no.

I'd love to hear how others handle this kind of question.

Tag_jorrit

Why no let the cards offer you some insight instead of a simple yes or no? That may work well for the weather but, say, a job? Will I get it? Well! Maybe yes, but the cards may have a comment about that and a simple yes or no won't allow much of a comment.

Why not do 2 spreads if it's about 2 choices, one for each option? Or a "what do I need to know about this situation"? More information you get from carefully crafted questions is always good.

If I just want a yes or no, I just flip a coin. The Divine can use anything to talk to us. ;)

Sharla

It's usually best not to ask yes/no questions.

But if you do then you can usually gather the yes/no answer from the cards by their positive/negativeness.

Example: you ask "will I get the job" ?

You get: sun + letter + key

You have here 2/3 positive cards and also it ends on a positive.

So the message would be some positive news that brings success.

As you can see the answer would be yes !

Teheuti

I find that Lenormand works very well for Yes/No questions as long as you state your question well, have a system for determining the answer, and carefully check the accuracy of your answers to see if it works consistently for you. As with all divinations, know that changing circumstances can change what will occur, but you should still be getting fairly reliable answers if you are to use this system.

What system you use is up to you.
• I use 3 or 5-card line readings that generally function as past-present-future from left-to-right. I prefer 5 cards.

• Similar to Sharla, I've designated 9 negative and 9 positive cards, which I use to count yeses and nos. I may pay some attention to neutral cards that lean toward more positive or negative especially if they refer directly to my question (are they adjacent to pos or neg cards?).

Your question.

• Be concrete and specific, and include time deliminators - "by this coming Friday," "within the next two months."

• Separate either/or and multi-part questions into two (or more) questions and draw a separate set of cards for each.

• Make sure that positive cards answer your question positively and negative cards, negatively.

For instance: "Will it rain during the wedding tomorrow?" If you got the Sun card as an answer, then is it saying "Yes, it will rain." Or "No, it will be sunny." You need to be sure.

It is far better to ask "Will the weather be good for Sue's wedding tomorrow?" Sun card says "Yes!"
Before pulling cards check a positive/negative card response to make sure you've phrased your question right!

Sometimes a question does not have a clear answer, which could be attributable to many reasons. You can read the cards for more elucidation, but do not stray from your question. In other words, a question regarding "Will it rain?" should not be answered with "Plan the wedding for indoors." Likewise, "Should I accept job A?" should not be answered with "You'd be better off becoming a carpenter." Only answer the quesion asked! Don't give advice where it is not asked for!

Many questions are better asked in other ways.

For instance, "Should I take job A or B?"
• In the first place, this should be two questions (as recommended above).
• Rather than asking Yes or No, it would be better to determine what information you really need to make this decision.

You could do four 3-card readings:
"What are the advantages of job A for me?"
"What are the disadvantages of job A for me?"
(and likewise for B)

Aster Breo

Thanks, Teheuti. This is very similar to my system. And it usually works well.

Lately, though, I've gotten some draws that are just not a clear answer.I sometimes find it hard to determine if that's the cards telling me the answer is not set yet, or if they're giving me a more complex answer than yes/no.

I try to resolve that by rephrasing and doing a new spread.

(Oh, and I never ask "should" questions, since they're so subjective.)

It's interesting to see how others handle this kind of thing.

Lee

Sometimes a question does not have a clear answer, which could be attributable to many reasons. You can read the cards for more elucidation, but do not stray from your question. In other words, a question regarding "Will it rain?" should not be answered with "Plan the wedding for indoors." Likewise, "Should I accept job A?" should not be answered with "You'd be better off becoming a carpenter." Only answer the quesion asked! Don't give advice where it is not asked for!
This is great advice, and I feel it applies equally well to all Lenormand work, not just yes/no questions.

Teheuti

(Oh, and I never ask "should" questions, since they're so subjective.)
I thought about mentioning this, too. I mean, what does 'should' mean? If you understand that in any particular situation then you can usually ask more helpful and precise questions.

Also, there are lots of kinds of yes/no questions. Sometimes I'll use a whole series of them, not to get definitive answers but to determine what the real issues and concerns are.

My daughter was causually looking at real estate in better school districts, when she & her husband fell in love with a house. She came to me to ask if they should buy the house. We asked about 20 yes/no questions using Lenormand. Each individual answer was not that significant, instead, by the time we'd finished, she was much clearer about which issues were most important to her and which weren't. They became the basis for her doing more research and soul-searching. It's basically a form of "Situation Analysis." As such, it's most effective with flexible thinkers who understand what's going on.

[They bought the house and 18 months later are quite happy with their decision. The few problems are not ones that came up among our questions.]

rif

This is great advice, and I feel it applies equally well to all Lenormand work, not just yes/no questions.

I feel it applies to all types of card reading work, and I always strive to stick with the question as phrased. ;)

1Eleven

I personally love yes/no questions... most seem to come down to this, in a way.

I also use the words optimum/optimal often.

"Is it optimal to..."

"Will it be optimal to.."

"Show my my optimum... " etc.