Lenormand Fortune Telling Cards by Josten

celticnoodle

I just picked up this set at Barnes and Noble. I have a few Lenormands, but never really caught onto reading with them much until just recently. Recently, I had a fantastic reading done for me with Lenormand, - the Grand Tableau, (I think it is called?). After that reading, (which was really interesting and very good!), I decided to give Lenormand another go and this time learn it the traditional way.

So, while in Barnes and Noble today, I happened to see the above (see title) card set--book and cards and decided to go for it. I liked the images of the 4 cards as shown on the back of the box. Very plain, so I thought it would be easy to really grasp the traditional meaning of. (something I am generally against, but I'm willing to try it with this deck).

I eagerly opened it when I was home and while I do like the cards, (haven't gone through the book yet), I was disappointed to see the cards do not look like they are presented on the back of this box, sadly. :( It has in the middle of the each card, a little white box with a poetic saying scripted in it. Not too hard to read, but I find it a bit distracting. I suppose I can get use to it.

Wondering though, if anyone else has it and if so, how do you find it reads? Other then the little script in the middle of each card, I do like the cards. The stock is nice, and the size is fantastic!

Teheuti

Here's my amazon review of this set:

I would hate for anyone new to Lenormand to start out with this book and deck! And experienced readers will not find anything here worth the cost of the set. The card stock is not that bad - typical of European Lenormand decks - but the Fraktur font used for the verses on each card is very difficult for English-speakers to decipher and makes the occasional typo frustrating to figure out. The deck verses are rarely helpful and not what is found on traditional decks. Example-Rod: "For he who is husband, the Rod means strife is on the way. If your day is dark and grey, listen to what your wife has to say."

The book is a traditionalist's nightmare. Josten starts out with Mountain as the fulfillment of a goal, but with a card text that says, "The closer the mountain, the closer the enemy." The author then talks about Mountain as the world axis and other mythological and symbolical references. Fish is supposedly about psychological and spiritual matters. The "Modern Symbolism" section is a long rant about water being a separate environment than ours, but that fish carry powerful symbolism because water does. His advice: "Seek answers, and go get your fish!"

It certainly doesn't seem like Josten actually uses the Lenormand cards, but more like he has poorly digested a few contradictory books and then added personal ruminations on the symbolism. This, despite the fact that Lenormand is not a symbolic system like Tarot, but rather an emblematic one. There is no direction for reading the classic Grand Tableau spread - just a diagram. Cards in examples for the shorter spreads are read singly, with position meanings, like Tarot, rather than in combination the way Lenormand is normally understood. For Josten, Lenormand appears to be a simple-minded step-sibling to Tarot. The box cover is beautiful.

Teheuti

The cards are usable - no problem but please don't follow the book. Check some of the other posts here for book recommendations. I don't have time to list them all for you right now.

lark

Rana George's book The Essential Lenormand is my favorite lenormand book.
Get that one and you won't regret it.
My new favorite set of lenormand cards are The Storybook lenormand.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/the-storybook-lenormand-plastic-box-no-booklet-
Love them, nice big pictures, small playing card insert at bottom.
Been using them everyday since I got them.

The one you have is usable like Teheuti said, but when they put so much stuff on the card it is hard to get that first impression when you lay the cards out.

Lots of decks to chose from now, almost too many...so happy shopping.

celticnoodle

Here's my amazon review of this set:

I would hate for anyone new to Lenormand to start out with this book and deck! And experienced readers will not find anything here worth the cost of the set. The card stock is not that bad - typical of European Lenormand decks - but the Fraktur font used for the verses on each card is very difficult for English-speakers to decipher and makes the occasional typo frustrating to figure out. The deck verses are rarely helpful and not what is found on traditional decks. Example-Rod: "For he who is husband, the Rod means strife is on the way. If your day is dark and grey, listen to what your wife has to say."
Oh dear. :( :laugh: Well, I MIGHT return the set to B&N and see if I can get my money back. I don't mind the deck, but its not really what I thought it would be. As I mentioned, on the back of the box, it clearly shows a pic of 4 of the cards--without the number assigned to them and no verses there either. So, that is what I thought I was getting. :( The verses are right in the middle of the card--kind of disrupting the picture. I thought I was buying a Lenormand deck that had a very straight forward picture of the what should be there, w/o anything else. So, a bit of a disappointment. :(

The book is a traditionalist's nightmare. Josten starts out with Mountain as the fulfillment of a goal, but with a card text that says, "The closer the mountain, the closer the enemy." The author then talks about Mountain as the world axis and other mythological and symbolical references. Fish is supposedly about psychological and spiritual matters. The "Modern Symbolism" section is a long rant about water being a separate environment than ours, but that fish carry powerful symbolism because water does. His advice: "Seek answers, and go get your fish!"

It certainly doesn't seem like Josten actually uses the Lenormand cards, but more like he has poorly digested a few contradictory books and then added personal ruminations on the symbolism. This, despite the fact that Lenormand is not a symbolic system like Tarot, but rather an emblematic one. There is no direction for reading the classic Grand Tableau spread - just a diagram. Cards in examples for the shorter spreads are read singly, with position meanings, like Tarot, rather than in combination the way Lenormand is normally understood. For Josten, Lenormand appears to be a simple-minded step-sibling to Tarot. The box cover is beautiful.
oh my! Well, I haven't even cracked open the book yet. *sigh*. I do already have "The Essential Lenormand" by Rana George. I heard it was a great book and I remember Rana from being on here. I always admired her. So, I bought the book.

Thanks for your reply. I should've researched it before buying it, but I had a coupon and wanted to use it while I was in the store. :rolleyes:

celticnoodle

Rana George's book The Essential Lenormand is my favorite lenormand book.
Get that one and you won't regret it.
My new favorite set of lenormand cards are The Storybook lenormand.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/the-storybook-lenormand-plastic-box-no-booklet-
Love them, nice big pictures, small playing card insert at bottom.
Been using them everyday since I got them.

The one you have is usable like Teheuti said, but when they put so much stuff on the card it is hard to get that first impression when you lay the cards out.

Lots of decks to chose from now, almost too many...so happy shopping.
:thumbsup: *whew* :D

Well, at least I did that right! :) I bought her book a few days back. I have other Lenormand decks too, but I wanted to find one that was very plain and thought I did. :rolleyes:

I'll check out that Lenormand, (the Storybook Lenormand). Thanks, Lark! Yes, I wanted a good sized picture without a lot of other stuff in it--since I am wanting to learn Lenormand in the traditional way now. Though, I may also continue to use it by just reading whatever comes into my mind now and again, when I look at the pictures too--(do I hear hissing now???) :laugh: