High Card - Yes/No/Choices

Tiro DvD

This is a simple technique that I may since I despised the potential ambiguity of most Yes/No spreads. Oddly I developed it for when I facilitate playing video games with my younger cousins.

1. Shuffle.
  2. Deal one card for each option and say that option as you lay it (so there is no second guessing). E.g.
    • Yes, No
    • Door #1, #2, #3
    • Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Mint Chip, Rockie Road
  3. High card wins.
    • Aces low.
    • Fool is low.
    • No wilds.
    • Major Arcana trumps all.
    • If more than one Major Arcana then the highest wins.
  4. If a tie, then deal new cards for those tied.

You do not have to read the cards at all. Naturally you can for more information, but it adds ambigutity I didn't want in the first place. ;) (Especialy if it's the better of two goods.)

This technique works differently than coins tosses on the premise that a trained deck is a tool you can use. If a deck isn't then practice this with those extreme matters of the heart that have absolutely no significance at all such as ice cream flavor, book to read, movie to watch, dish to make, etc.

AJ

Tiro DvD said:
This technique works differently than coins tosses on the premise that a trained deck .

trained deck???

Tiro DvD

AJ said:
trained deck???
Trained, bonded, tuned, seasoned, broken-in, acclimated, etc. The point where you feel comfortable with a deck and know its ins and outs.

DragonFae

OKAY....I am dense. Can you provide an example...I don't get the door one two three or the ice creams or "get it". I could really use a good yes no method...so please elaborate.

DeLightFull

My understanding is that if, as in this example, you were trying to decide which ice cream flavor to eat you would deal a card for each option.
"Should I eat vanilla? (card A) chocolate? (card B) or strawberry? (card C)"
Then follow the high card method to pick which flavor to eat.

Sooo... you deal a card for each variable particular to your situation. Yes?:)

FatesLady

Interesting, but you could just as easily use playing cards, or... well, whatever. I guess I just like the "reading" part of tarot reading, but thanks for the idea.

DeLightFull

FatesLady said:
Interesting, but you could just as easily use playing cards, or... well, whatever. I guess I just like the "reading" part of tarot reading, but thanks for the idea.

But why use playing cards when you've got all the tarot bling in your stash? ;)

FatesLady

My point was, why use that beautiful imagery in a high-low game when it has so much more to say.

DragonFae

I don't know...I'm not a big fan of yes no questions....tarot or playing cards I think there are too many factors to get a really hard yes/no answer and it be accurate. But that's just me.

Tiro DvD

FatesLady said:
My point was, why use that beautiful imagery in a high-low game when it has so much more to say.
The beauty is in the simple elegance and the depth from how you win. For example:

Q: What topic should I read on next?
Tarot: 10 Wands
Theology: 2 Cups
Sci-Fi: Temperance
Fantasy: Page Swords

So I'll read a Sci-Fi book. There is little interest in Theology, and Tarot and Fantasy were close.

You can be surprised how your deck acts when ties keep popping up, Majors are everywhere, one wins by a landslide, or other quirky results.