University Books editions from 19XX to 19XX

fyreflye

Rodney! I just received this same book, but I have 344 numbered pages in the book! I checked, none are missing. :) I see that Tehuti describes hers as having 344 pages as well. But it is just as what you have listed above - color plates, same imprint as above, dust jacket, green ends... I also got the matching deck with the card advertising the book. I love the slip case for the deck! I wish more decks had cases like that rather than tuck boxes.

Lovely set - book is virtually uncracked with only a couple little dings in the dust jacket, but deck is nicely used and very well loved. Don't care if I paid too much ($50 for set) - it is THE Rider Waite deck I've been looking for all this time. Used, loved, and old. Sadly, one card is very delicate and use of deck will be very limited. I believe it is appropriate that it is the 9 Cups card that is creased and folded.

I love it when these ancient threads suddenly burst into life again :D

I have the same edition with the same LoC number and 344 pages. I don't believe (but am not certain) that printing numbers like Rodney was asking for were used in the late '50's. There weren't even ISBN's then. I've assumed this is a first edition. It cost me $9 at a local used book store, good inside but the DJ spine is completely faded out from sun exposure. I bought the matching deck separately on eBay but can't remember the price I paid for it. It's not my favorite edition of the deck (I love the original Frankie Albano version) but it's nice to have.

Wil_Mac

Rodney! I just received this same book, but I have 344 numbered pages in the book! I checked, none are missing. :) I see that Tehuti describes hers as having 344 pages as well. But it is just as what you have listed above - color plates, same imprint as above, dust jacket, green ends... I also got the matching deck with the card advertising the book. I love the slip case for the deck! I wish more decks had cases like that rather than tuck boxes.

Lovely set - book is virtually uncracked with only a couple little dings in the dust jacket, but deck is nicely used and very well loved. Don't care if I paid too much ($50 for set) - it is THE Rider Waite deck I've been looking for all this time. Used, loved, and old. Sadly, one card is very delicate and use of deck will be very limited. I believe it is appropriate that it is the 9 Cups card that is creased and folded.

Chiska, I have an extra University Books 9 of Cups. Feel free to PM your contact info if you'd like me to send it to you. Cheers, Wil

Chiska

Chiska, I have an extra University Books 9 of Cups. Feel free to PM your contact info if you'd like me to send it to you. Cheers, Wil

Thank you Wil! I have sent a pm.

As I mentioned, the 9 Cups looks as if it has been folded and carried in a wallet. The deck is used, but in good condition. I would love to know its history.

RichardG

Is there a consensus for the earliest publication dates of the University Books RWS decks and PKT books?

I think it might be:-

1959/60 Red Slip Case & PKT with "78 plates in four colors"
1963 Tuck Box, New Hyde Park, New York 1104 address & PKT with 78 (B&W) plates
1966 Tuck Box, New Hyde Park, New York 11041 address & PKT with 78 (Greyscale) plates
then
1970 Tuck Box, 120 Enterprise Ave, Secaucus, N.J. 07094 address
(and then later versions when University Books became Carrol Publishing etc)

baylys

I've just found a 1959 maroon slip case deck. There are two white with it, one advertising the book in full colour for $7.50 and the other card advertising the deck for $5.00. No lwb and cards in awesome condition. Price is rising and I think I am in competition with a fellow ATer in NZ.

ETA: and I missed it. When I started bidding it was $7.00. I gave up at $93 and it went for $94. I could afford less than a hundred for it, but the other person was definitely in a battle for it.

fyreflye

ETA: and I missed it. When I started bidding it was $7.00. I gave up at $93 and it went for $94. I could afford less than a hundred for it, but the other person was definitely in a battle for it.

Sorry to hear it. eBay can be frustrating. Probably your best strategy if you really wanted it but had a price limit would have been to bid $99 (or, trickier, $101) at the outset and just sat back and waited for an outcome. At least it's less nerve wracking.

baylys

It was on the NZ site, Trade Me. MUCH smaller than ebay and much less competition for tarot stuff. But obviously someone who knew what it was.

DustyWhite

Need pix

From Cerulean

"I only have two University Books publications:

1) Pictorial Key to the Tarot dated 1959 with 'accurate color tones' that is different than the later 1971 version of the deck. There's an advertisement for a five dollar tarot deck and some unique things about this edition of Pictorial Key to the Tarot. Subsequent reprints of the hardback book do not seem to be in color.

This is a review copy and a small paper insert to Mr Edwin Tribble (handscrawled crayon-To Mr. Tribble for your library): of the Washington Star dated March 1, 1960 notes the following address: University Books, Inc. 101 West 31st Street, New York 1, New York, with a stamp: New Address: 1601 Jericho Turnpike, New Hyde Park, L."

I tried to PM, but Cerulean can no longer get messages so I am asking here. The spectre raised by a 1959 UB PKtT with a NY1 address shakes the very foundation of everything we know about UB. I need a picture to verify this (please) or else it will end up in the hearsay pile and be excluded from the historical research documents. I am hoping someone who CAN contact Cerulean will see this and pass the message on.

gregory

I can't contact Cerulean, but I have one too; I will photograph it later. (I bought it from the lovely Rodney Carter, who presumably also has one.)

What EXACTLY do you need to prove it - the address on mine is part of an ad for the deck shown on the dustjacket (mine is not a review copy, and has a price of $5 for the deck; the book cost $7.50); on the BACK of the dustjacket their address is shown as "New Hyde Park, New York" and the "copyright page gives a Library of Congress catalogue number 59-15903; "New Material copyright 1959; originally published 1910."
But Teheuti suggests that the date given there is not the actual publication date - hers sounds identical to mine (scroll up the thread).

There's also this thread:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30120 where such things are mentioned. And it seems 1959 may indeed be correct. I will photograph whatever you wish.