Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

daphne

Maybe I should finance my retirement through Kickstarter, haha. But, thank you for suggesting it, I think someday I will try it. Maybe for the full 78 card deck. For The last one I took out a loan, and who likes to do that either? But I may have to do the kickstarter video with a bag over my head like the Unknown Comic!

I understand you perfectly. I am very glad that at least you come here to write about your creation. I like to read your experience with painting the cards, it makes me see it with a different eye, knowing all your thinking and efforts, the trial an error that went with it.

About the kickstarter, what you can do is to have a movie with you painting. With your back turned or only with your hands painting. And you even dont have to talk, just let some scripts going on in the lower part of the image with a light calm music tones, something you like. It is your video, you make it your way.

You know, last night I was looking at the two border colors and thinking I might need to redo everything to the darker color but then I realized, people look at the art, they don't obsess over the shade of pale on the border. At least no one I want to know about does! So who cares if it is the exact right color. Most people are looking at the art, and what matters is not even exactly that they like it (though that helps) but that the mission was accomplished. And the mission of the art, though not 100 percent conscious was to transmit the download, the idea and the connection. I have spent time thinking on the stuff that goes into (what I think is) the making of a good card: the tarot itself (duh!), the feeling tone of the astrological signs and planets, alchemy, qabalah, color theory, composition...self taught, and not saying I am any good at most of it either, I see where I am lacking and am just talking background. But somehow, I think not consciously, unique ideas come through about the archetype. I think sometimes people see them and sometimes not.

I don't know, I'm not adept with words but hope I am better with pictures.

That is why I love tarot as an artistic and spiritual vehicle. It encapsulates all of human experience and is connected to the collective psyche. It is more than just art and it does have significance beyond a pretty picture. Don't worry, I probably couldn't stop if I tried. i just get maudlin sometimes. :smoker: :party:

It is so inspiring how you agonize over every detail!! I am a perfectionist like you so I get exactly what you are dealing with.

Babalon Jones

Aleph, Mem, Shin and outer planets

Speaking of details...

Currently I have the attribution symbols on each card, with the Hebrew letter on the left corner and the zodiacal or elemental symbol on the right. The Universe has Saturn on the right and Earth element central as it does "double duty" and Shin has fire on the right and Spirit central.

Right now the other three elemental trumps (Aleph, Mem, and Shin) just have the elemental glyphs on the right as traditional before the discovery of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. I was debating whether to add those planets, and if so how to handle Shin so the look is still spare and uncluttered. I would need to hurry up though as the files already sent to the printers and they would have to make dies for the silver foil so it might be too late. Anyway I am curious what people think on that topic, as maybe I would do something different if not on this edition than the full size, or on the black and white version.

daphne

Why not adding the newer planets? It is a modern deck, you can make it as a deck of its times.

Zephyros

I don't know, I'm not adept with words but hope I am better with pictures.

Oh, yes, I would say you've got that down, to say the least. :)

I've been using the Thoth for many years now, and no other. Your deck is the first one ever to make me contemplate switching or supplementing. No other, not even your previous deck (sorry ): ) has ever done that. I'm a tough cookie, but this... this is incredible. I think it's the best Thoth-inspired deck to ever be made, really I do. The closest contender is the Amun-Ra, although this one actually exists, while that one is sadly unpublished.

I'll get the Majors, but I really am excited about the complete deck!

Speaking of details...

Currently I have the attribution symbols on each card, with the Hebrew letter on the left corner and the zodiacal or elemental symbol on the right. The Universe has Saturn on the right and Earth element central as it does "double duty" and Shin has fire on the right and Spirit central.

Right now the other three elemental trumps (Aleph, Mem, and Shin) just have the elemental glyphs on the right as traditional before the discovery of Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. I was debating whether to add those planets, and if so how to handle Shin so the look is still spare and uncluttered. I would need to hurry up though as the files already sent to the printers and they would have to make dies for the silver foil so it might be too late. Anyway I am curious what people think on that topic, as maybe I would do something different if not on this edition than the full size, or on the black and white version.

I think that if anyone cares about those things, then they'll know the ins and outs of the attributions, and so I would stick with tradition in this case. Even though the planets may not be physically represented, they're still "there" if anyone wants. I suspect most modern users leave the planetary Trumps without an astrological attribution, as per tradition. I certainly do most of the time, although I suppose I am influenced by them, since I know they're there. Same goes the for the Minors and the Supernals. I never liked Chochma as "the zodiac."

Babalon Jones

Oh, yes, I would say you've got that down, to say the least. :)

I've been using the Thoth for many years now, and no other. Your deck is the first one ever to make me contemplate switching or supplementing. No other, not even your previous deck (sorry ): ) has ever done that. I'm a tough cookie, but this... this is incredible. I think it's the best Thoth-inspired deck to ever be made, really I do. The closest contender is the Amun-Ra, although this one actually exists, while that one is sadly unpublished.

I'll get the Majors, but I really am excited about the complete deck!

I think that if anyone cares about those things, then they'll know the ins and outs of the attributions, and so I would stick with tradition in this case. Even though the planets may not be physically represented, they're still "there" if anyone wants. I suspect most modern users leave the planetary Trumps without an astrological attribution, as per tradition. I certainly do most of the time, although I suppose I am influenced by them, since I know they're there. Same goes the for the Minors and the Supernals. I never liked Chochma as "the zodiac."

Well that is the highest praise I have ever gotten I think, so thank you, that made my day. Especially coming from you, as I really appreciate your posts in the Thoth and Golden Dawn forums. You know, the Amun-Ra is one of my favorite decks ever, besides Thoth of course, and has been an inspiration to me, so I am honored to be compared in any way.

And I'm ok that my last deck does not do it for you on the same level. Me too in a way as I am my own most discerning critic, and had to do another one just to upgrade for my own use, haha. They do have a different feel, and were made with different intentions and mind sets. This one is purely "mine", if you know what I mean. I hope I live long enough to do a third, v3.0 hahahaha (that was semi-sane laughter, if you must know).

As far as the symbols go, I think I am going to stick with them the way they are, the traditional way. I agree it is enough to just "know they are there" as you say. While it is not too late to change them, as I have not given the "go" to the printers yet, I realized that since my first impulse was to do it this way, I'll stick with it and stop second guessing myself. But I do like what Daphne said about making it "of its times", which is kind of why I thought about adding them. But since it complicates the design a little, at least on Aeon/Shin, and means redoing things, I think for the version with the silver foil I'll just stick with them as they are. I'm still debating on adding them to the black and white version.

Hey I got the proof from the printers today for the color version. It does not have the attributions on them as for that they have to make dies for the silver foil, but I am happy with the proof and just have to give the go ahead and the final #s of decks to print.

I continue to debate things even at the 11th hour though. Such as , whether to do a color version w/o foil too (much less expensive to print but *I* want that silver on mine!). And then nit-picky things like whether Death is Lord of the Gate of Death or the Gates of Death, as I have the GD titles on the signature card. I see it both ways, in texts I respect, and come up with my own arguments for each. Other title related wording discrepancies, like Sun or Son of the Morning for Emperor, whether to use the word "the" here and there...Then I have to back off, haha and give it a rest and again tell myself that my first impulse was fine :)

The boxes are also supposed to get delivered today too. So this weekend I'll be a stainiac (that is a maniac who stains 100+ wooden boxes) then add the linings etc.

I had a disappointment though in that I ordered a ton of cool envelopes for packaging, really nice stardust black paper made in Italy. And they don't quite fit. So close though! And my wax sticks for making seals are the wrong color. It is hard to order stuff online from a monitor picture so can't send them back. Oh well, now they can be for my personal stash, but a waste of $$ as I had to reorder more in what I hope will be right. Guess I have to start writing snail mail letters...or find some use for them. And figure out an alternative way to package them for those who don't want boxes. Back to the drawing board.

daphne

I am looking forward to see the cherry stained boxes. Pictures, please :)

Alta

Every post here is making me look more and more forward to this deck. And thank you closrapexa, too!!!

Shalyn

I just stumbled upon this thread, and I must say - I am intrigued, to say the least. I really really like the look of this deck, and the majors are making me rethink my "no majors only decks" rule.

Except...I'd love to see the finished deck...

Alta

They look very lovely. Nicely done!