The right quote for the right card- your thoughts?

Chiara

I don't have quotes for everything but just added ones mostly from books that I have read. This one is for the High Priestess from the book the Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupery.

"For the house, the stars, the desert – what gives them their beauty is something that is invisible. What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides an oasis."

nerrine

Chiara,

Wow- that one really suits the High Priestess. And it occurs to me St Exupery is a great source for this exercise.

Water Lady

sorry no quotes, but I really love this conversation

flipperjane

I like these:

Heirophant: "Tradition is a guide not a jailer" W. Somerset Maugham

Lovers: "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the Mind" Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Chariot: "Victory is a thing of the will" Marshall Ferdinand Foch

Wheel: "Fortune favours the brave" Virgil

Justice: "The sword of justice has no scabbard" Antoine de Rivarol

The Hanged Man: "You must look within for value but must look beyond for perspective" Denis Waitley

Devil: "He that is busy is tempted by but one devil; he that is idle, by a legion" Thomas Fuller

The Star: " I love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars" Og Mandino

7 of Swords: " The treacherous are ever distrustful" Tolkein

queen of Pentacles: "Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it" Confucius

Water Lady

I especially like the lovers and the devil

I like these:

Heirophant: "Tradition is a guide not a jailer" W. Somerset Maugham

Lovers: "Love looks not with the eyes, but with the Mind" Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Chariot: "Victory is a thing of the will" Marshall Ferdinand Foch

Wheel: "Fortune favours the brave" Virgil

Justice: "The sword of justice has no scabbard" Antoine de Rivarol

The Hanged Man: "You must look within for value but must look beyond for perspective" Denis Waitley

Devil: "He that is busy is tempted by but one devil; he that is idle, by a legion" Thomas Fuller

The Star: " I love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars" Og Mandino

7 of Swords: " The treacherous are ever distrustful" Tolkein

queen of Pentacles: "Everything has it's beauty, but not everyone sees it" Confucius

reverenderik

I just picked up the Brueghel Deck the other day. One of the things I'm really enjoying about it is that the little white book attributes a different proverb or aphorism to each card in the deck. Here are some examples:

The Chariot - "Ambition intoxicates more than wine."

Death - "When faced with death, even the devil learns how to pray."

Temperance - "The burden becomes light for those who know how to carry it."

nerrine

reverenderik- that quote for Temperance really rings true for me. it's the kind of simple but profound quote you really need to meditate on.

flipperjack- the 7 of Swords (I love that quote anyway) and Queen of Pentacles- so perfect!

And thank you for taking the time to share! I'm loving hearing these different perspectives and associations.

Chiara

I love this thread. I have added a lot of these to my list. This one is for The Lovers.

"The heart has reasons that reason itself knows nothing about." Pascal

flipperjane

some for the minor acana:

Ace of Cups - Life's enchanted cup sparkles near the brim - Lord Byron.

8 of Cups - Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path, and leave a trail.

10 of Swords - The depth of darkness to which you can descend and still live is an exact measure of the height to which you can aspire to reach - Laurens Van du Post.

4 of Pentacles - Gold will be slave or Master. 'Tis more fit that it be led by us than we by it. - Horace

5 of Pentacles - People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within. - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross