My mom touched my cards

nisaba

Couple months ago my mom touched my cards, because I did a Tarot reading for her, and I haven't cleansed my cards.
When I was reading for myself, I asked A LOT of questions. Does that mean ALL answers were wrong and I should ask same questions again?

Well, I read for a lot of total strangers, and I never cleanse my decks, and all the readings are worthwhile.

Why do you think your relationship with your deck is so fragile that one person touching it months ago could affect it more than your touching it all the time? That sounds like deep-seated insecurity on your part, to me.

danieljuk

see how the deck goes for you honeysun. I wouldn't be worried! there is people on here who let many many people touch their decks in their professional tarot business. If it doesn't work so well now or you have problems, put it back in order when you first bought it and then give it a good shuffle!

Richard

The thing is, you can take a deck and smudge it with sage, smoke it with incense, pass it (quickly) through a candle flame, bury it in salt or earth, invoke the gods/goddesses to bless it, or even sprinkle it (or preferably use a fine mist spray) with holy water, but these procedures will do nothing at all to erase the effect of a previous reading, because the order of the cards from the previous reading will be totally unaffected by these maneuvers. Why not just shuffle it a few times to re-randomize the deck?

Zephyros

I think it's a personal thing, everyone has their own hangups and rituals. Some people can live in squalor and filth, and not give it a second thought. Other people can't stand even a smidgen of dust in their houses. In either case you can be happy and healthy, without your habits affecting your well being. The clean person isn't necessarily paranoid while the dirty person isn't necessarily unkempt.

If someone feels they need to... well, I wouldn't, but people need to go their own way. Personally I've never felt the need to cleanse, and it was only after I joined AT that I learned that such a thing even existed. On the contrary, I like people touching my decks, as long as they do so with care. The less added-on mystique Tarot has, the less intimidating it is.

Richard

......If someone feels they need to... well, I wouldn't, but people need to go their own way. Personally I've never felt the need to cleanse, and it was only after I joined AT that I learned that such a thing even existed. On the contrary, I like people touching my decks, as long as they do so with care. The less added-on mystique Tarot has, the less intimidating it is.
You're right, as usual, but I sometimes feel a need to consider those who might be making Tarot unnecessarily complicated. (Some would say that I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but that's okay too.) If someone enjoys cleansing their cards, by all means do so. As you say, it's a personal matter. However, watching a few episodes of the delightful Monk TV series might provide an antidote to being overly concerned about who touched what.

Zephyros

You're right, as usual, but I sometimes feel a need to consider those who might be making Tarot unnecessarily complicated. (Some would say that I'm the pot calling the kettle black, but that's okay too.) If someone enjoys cleansing their cards, by all means do so. As you say, it's a personal matter. However, watching a few episodes of the delightful Monk TV series might provide an antidote to being overly concerned about who touched what.

Oh, I agree completely. The difference between being intuitive and superstitious is ultimately how much control you have over it. Were someone to claim all sorts of things from their deck is mad at them, to their deck needing twenty four hours of moonlight after every use or other compulsive behavior, that's the stage when it becomes bad and should be corrected. One should never deify a deck, or anything else, but there are all sorts of rituals that have psychological value, if not objective moonlight-cleansing-energies value.

Besides, sage makes me sneeze. I don't feel like cleansing phlegm off my decks. No amount of moonlight will take care of that.

Honeysun

Thanks everyone for answers. I realized that I should do whatever feels right for me :) I feel kinda paranoid/anxious about big things happening in future, and Tarot cards usually calm me. I should work on that before I go crazy.

ana luisa

The magic of a reading lies in YOU and not in the cards. And you have probably been hugged by your mom, right ? ;) I wouldn't worry at all.