Professional tarot readers

misser_piggit

I'm back.

I don't have much of a story to share. It was a crummy day of poor management. I get along just fine with customers, rude or not. I like your play on what they would need a reading for though, that's neat.

I finished high school and lived life. So no further education there, other than my intrest in psychology and religion which is all very biased to my likings, nothing formal or even structured. As for tarot, just real life experience thru journaling and reseaching, again on my own. The shops around here charge 50/half hour and up. So I'm not jumping up & down for that either-no matter what their experience & education is- its still a pack of cards.

Nothing unusually awesome about finding tarot either. I got my first hanson-roberts 10 years ago and fell in love.

I shy away from public reading because....way too many needy crazy people do show up. But...its always something i would like try. And since i live in a tourist area, there's a lot markets to set up and charge donations.

nisaba

Well I'm here at my retail job and being annoyed with the general lack of leadership and respect.
I'm unsure how to understand this comment in the light of the next question you ask.

And whose lack of leadership and respect? Customers? Staff? Customers don't have to have leadership and it's noce but not necessary if they show respect.

So...tarot readers, how many of you have gone on from self-readings to reading for general public?

I would love love love to hear your stories of taking that first step.
I was working in the financial sector at the time. I was talking with a client and she mentioned something I couldn't deal with professionally. But I liked her and had earned a lot of money through her, so I said that I had a Tarot deck at home and perhaps she'd like a reading some time. One evening she came to mine. I did the reading. I have no idea what it was about, but I do remember when I pulled the RW Two Pentacles, she saw her late father in the card. She was so impressed that she insisted on pressing an indecent amount of money into my hands afterwards, although I hadn't asked. More than I earn now, twenty-eight years later, for a reading, in fact.

She gave me the confidence to rock into a new-age shop and ask for a spot as a reader.

misser_piggit

I musta worded that wrong in the first post. I work inventory for a retail giant. I do consistently go above & beyond my job requirements. The managers above me have this bad habit of throwing each other under the bus. Recently they let my direct supervisor leave and now us 6 inventory people are left to fend for ourselves. Wouldn't be an issue if we got passed along the right notes in a timely manner. Or shifts handed off the workloads in some sort of process. But we aren't. So its a chaotic mess. Telling my managers gets me eyerolls. I'm at the point of needing higher education.

It had very little to do with tarot. But i was very intrested in the stories of those who can/do make living from tarot readings.

re-pete-a

Hello forum!

Well I'm here at my retail job and being annoyed with the general lack of leadership and respect.

As I said in an earlier post ...
the reader creates their world and attracts the clientele that will best match their inner world...

I've found.
The more intellectual one is the more barriers must fall...The more vulnerable the person, the better the read ...

I've also found that the higher the education the more defensive barriers are present and the less vulnerable they are prepared to be...one type has lack of trust ,the other type lacks fears of exposure hence willing to trust...

There are also many ways to read cards ..one is remembering ...the other is intuitive...I'm sure there are many other ways as well but these two I know a little something of ...

Then there are the ones that have never had practice ,never been highly educated , yet are absolute wizards with the cards...but don't own cards nor read them...

go figger....

gregory

I shy away from public reading because....way too many needy crazy people do show up.
If that is how you look at potential clients, professional reading is probably not for you. You're judging them before you even start. And needy crazy people are often the ones who need readers the most.

misser_piggit

I would insist on only reading for clear minded people on ethical topics. Its my reading, I'm in charge, and i will happily turn away anyone i judge to be of bad character. There's plenty of professional readers who will glady take their money, so i presume. I'm not their jesus, and if they start getting shady i will quit in the middle of it too. My game, my rules.

But for the clients that *do* need a good interactive reading, i will be that reader. They can cry, get mad as long as they participate and show self growth from reading to reading. And i know we all know the difference here without pointing out specifics.

When i started, i was more than eager to read for anyone on anything. And it was all friends and friends of friends. All in good nature. I never encountered a negative reading situation but I've had plenty of hostile and negative customers to give me a decent amount of experience to apply in handling difficult sitters.

gregory

Good luck with identifying the clear minded people. When I was in the psych hospital it was a standing joke that half the time you couldn't tell who were staff and who were patients....

nisaba

I would insist on only reading for clear minded people on ethical topics. Its my reading, I'm in charge, and i will happily turn away anyone i judge to be of bad character.

Interesting. So you don't want clients at all?

nisaba

Good luck with identifying the clear minded people. When I was in the psych hospital it was a standing joke that half the time you couldn't tell who were staff and who were patients....

Sadly, I know two psyche nurses who are absolute nutters and unsafe people to be around.

And people of good character. How do you tell? Get a police check on every client first? You cannot tell bad character from faces!

Grizabella

I would insist on only reading for clear minded people on ethical topics.

I've never learned to read minds. I just read the cards.

Whose ethics?

But for the clients that *do* need a good interactive reading, i will be that reader. They can cry, get mad as long as they participate and show self growth from reading to reading. And i know we all know the difference here without pointing out specifics.

How will you determine whether they've done this self-growth?

I've found that an attitude of being of service to my fellow man works the best and I can't judge anyone but myself. And I'm certainly not a mind reader, as I said before, so I don't have a means of judging whether or not they're showing self-growth. There are many people for whom self-growth is taken in tiny baby steps and who am I to judge whether they've taken big enough or plentiful enough steps?

There are an awful lot of people who never make it in this profession. The ones that do make it possess a big helping of humility to begin with, and they don't judge others harshly bottom line. Arrogance is a guarantee of failure because clients just won't come back to an arrogant judgmental reader.