Deck of the Week : Sign-Up Thread : Week 156 : July 26th - August 2nd

Rose Lalonde

Victorian Romantic

I already posted a thread about it over in the VR study group, but I'm getting a lot out of the courts in VR, especially the way the kings are described in the LWB, which made sense of their almost weary-looking art.

AJ

I had and let go of all the Magic Realist Press decks over time, but their books are Very well thought out and written, I'll give them that.

Swedishfish, the Golden was on my very first top 20 list. I got mine from Griz in trade for the Housewives. But like so many of my top 20's over time as my knowledge of tarot and how I chose to use it, and taste for decks have changed, the Golden went by the wayside. Maybe you bought mine :) It was the cardstock and white titles that finally killed it for me, I tried all kinds of treatments to tone down the white without success. But indeed it is a lovely deck, enjoy!

swedishfish612

AJ- Ha! It's entirely possible that I bought yours. I know for sure that I bought the Touchstone from an ATer, though I don't remember from who. I know I didn't get them together, as I very distinctly remember opening the package with the Touchstone. That's what's so weird about this deck. All others, I remember where I got them- which store or website, or eBay or from an ATer, etc. And I oftentimes remember how I got interested in the deck, how much or how little research I did before buying, roughly how much I paid. This one, though- it's a blank!

Elendil

I'm in with the Universal Waite Deck this week

toj

Tarot of the Four Elements this week...

Rose Lalonde

I had and let go of all the Magic Realist Press decks over time, but their books are Very well thought out and written, I'll give them that.

I'd only had the Tarot of Prague 1st (no book), which came out during my original tarot buying, but the VR is a gift from ATer simphex! :)

NadaJ

I'm excited to work with the Golden this week. Laying out the cards, suit by suit and then just the majors, the artwork stuns me with its beauty. It affects me in an odd way...some cards are my absolute favorites, in just about any deck. There are cards in this deck that really stun me with how much they appeal to me. And then there are some that almost repel me. It's a weird push-pull dynamic. Part of me loves it, part of me wants to pull away from it. I wonder if my Catholic upbringing isn't at the root of that conflict?

This deck is an oddity in that I can't remember how I bought it, or why, or when. I recently made a database of all of my decks, including when/where I acquired them, and this is the only deck that is a mystery for me. I think I ordered it after I got the Touchstone, but I can't be sure. I think I've had it for a about a year.

When I pulled it out last night, I had this urge to use one of my favorite scarves as a spreadcloth. It's a deep, garnet red, with some rust and orange in it as well. They look amazing laid out on my scarf. I hope this deck ends up being a readable one for me. It feels different from my other decks. Most of my decks feel more "friendly" in nature, but this one feels formal and elegant. But there's a sense of magic about it that pulls me in. Magic and mystery.

It will be an interesting week, seeing how we get on.

My Golden deck arrived this afternoon and I'm looking forward of working with it. The cards are kinda sticky, but I really love the art and the work it took to make it into a coherent tarot deck (says the novice). But what I really love about it so far.....it's packaged in a box that is not insanely huge! I wish all my decks came in a box like this, small and sturdy. It's not package overkill and I can't believe it this fancy deck in this cute little box was so affordable.

How have you been able to read with it so far?

NadaJ

Ellis Deck

I've done several readings with the Ellis deck in the exchange section and I'm still struggling to connect with it. I actually really like the artwork, my favorite cards are the magician, the hierophant and the hermit. But the reading messages aren't coming to me as easily as I'm accustomed. It's like it's speaking a different language that I'm struggling to translate. I'll keep practicing this week; maybe I'll turn a corner as I keep working with it.

swedishfish612

NadaJ- It's been an interesting few days with the Golden so far. My initial impression is that the deck felt gorgeous and very formal. Well, it has a bite, too. I got a few daily draws that didn't make sense to me in the morning, but did as the day went on. This deck has been slapping me around a bit, lol. It's been accurate, but a bit harsh. I can't decide if I like that or not. I'll have to keep working with it and see! I'm glad I chose Froud's Faeries to work with as well, because while it's been in line with what the Golden is telling me, it delivers the message a bit softer and sweeter!

I'm sorry you aren't feeling it with the Ellis yet. Maybe you just need more time with it, or it might work for you later. I've had that happen, where I connected with a deck months after I bought it. You never see it coming, either. I've had decks where I loved the artwork so much, I thought it'd become a fast favorite, and then....nothing. And others where the artwork isn't my favorite (Robin Wood! lol) but then I get amazing readings and love the deck as a result.

BodhiSeed

I forgot to post the past few weeks about how much I enjoyed the Victorian Fairy and the Hidden Realm tarot decks. The VF has wonderful imagery that I can draw a lot of meaning from, and the HR has so much emotion flowing through its characters that it is easier to read than I thought.
I'm having a great week with Osho Zen (though it took me a few days to get used to the suit name changes). And Linnie's A'HA Oracle has really given me some new and different perspectives on the tarot cards.:thumbsup: