Victorian Romantic - The Court Cards

Rose Lalonde

I received VR as a gift recently, and among other things, I appreciate the way the courts are so clearly defined as their own miniature journey. It's added a new layer of meaning to them for me - particularly the kings. I could see someone going through all these steps in their lives many times over.
  • Pages as the enthusiastic beginner with no experience.
  • Knights gaining experience in different aspects of their suit through interaction with others, but not necessarily wise or balanced yet. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."
  • Queens as the pinnacle of their suit, achieving mastery, balance, and equanimity.
  • Kings as mature, but often constrained from embodying their suit to its fullest because of responsibilities requiring them to do what's required rather than what they want.
The kings aren't my favorite art in the deck visually, but the images and the LWB helped me differentiate more clearly between them and queens, especially during readings in which they're indicative of character traits rather than people.

Does anyone else feel like the courts are in sharp focus in this deck? (Or not?)

Do you like the way the knights are shown in terms of interaction with someone else?

I noticed in threads that not everyone likes the kings, so I may be in the minority on that one.

Rose Lalonde

And here's where I win geekiest post of the week... but we were watching a Star Trek episode last night in which Picard knew a crew member was innocent, but as a Federation officer he had to turn them over anyway, and I thought - VR King of Swords!