Joan Bunning's beginners course

danieljuk

yay I am so glad to find out she is a real person! :thumbsup:

Cocobird55

I enjoyed her course. Barnes and Noble used the book as the basis for theirs, when they were giving free courses. I still use her book as a reference.

Darkmage

I've got her book, too. It's a handy quick-reference guide for when my brain farts and I forget meanings. :/

I would heartily recommend it to beginners along with Eden Gray's works.

BodhiSeed

Bunning's website (and book) helped provide me with a firm foundation when I began studying the tarot. Later Pollack and Greer provided more of a framework. Those three women gave me something solid to build more intuitive readings on later.

SunChariot

When I was floundering around tarot iin the beginning, one thing I did that helped give me a path was Joan Bunning's course
http://www.learntarot.com/
It is very comprehensive. I didn't/don't agree with all of it but that is true of everything

My question is, is there a real Joan Bunning? Has anyone anywhere ever known the real person?

The site hasn't been updated since 2007 but someone must be paying the website host fee.

That as my first step I took in learning Tarot too. About 10 years ago. I did not agree with everything either, but it was a start to my learning. Of course a lot of the confusion also came because of course it is a RWS based course and my first Tarot deck that I was learning on (the Haindl Tarot) was Thoth based.

At the time I did not understand that and had never heard of either RWS OR Thoth, but something felt like it was not messing properly. But I would not change a thing. The way I learnt to read because of that brought me to the best place for me. I still sometimes us the site even today to look over the meanings for the Majors. It gives me new ideas at times.

Babs

AJ

I know what you mean Babs, my first "tarot" deck was Druid animal oracle, 5 bucks off ebay :) What did I know...but knowledge has to begin somewhere, right?

Shages

Back when I first got interested in the tarot, I found her website. I used it to write a report on tarot. Then I got my first deck and used it to learn about the tarot. I ABSOLUTELY love her site. It is a great place for beginners like me

SunChariot

I know what you mean Babs, my first "tarot" deck was Druid animal oracle, 5 bucks off ebay :) What did I know...but knowledge has to begin somewhere, right?

The Joan Bunning site and course (and I even bought her book) was my first start with Tarot. Again though I would not change a thing in my learning process.

Although I started with an untraditional deck, and because of it in fact, a lot of what I was learning did not mesh with my deck. After the expected frustration, LOL, it taught me not to be afraid to be creative and invent my own ways to do things. To find the best ways FOR ME, to make things work and fit together. That was a very valuable lesson for me. It made me who I am today as a reader. And gave me a huge respect about how we each have to find out own methods and ways to do things, from inside of us.

Babs

rmcfarron

This thread sent me back to Joan Bunning's site - hadn't been there for a long time. Her interpretations are simply marvelous! It reminded me of why I loved her course. Thanks for the timely reminder!

Owl Song

My sister was looking for a great Tarot foundation book and I directed her to Joan Bunning's website (still up!) as well as the book -- which remains in print, too.

I love that even back in 1998 Bunning was one of the ones running with the idea that the court cards do not necessarily refer to people of the same sex as the courts themselves. I think she has a very lucid way of looking at the courts. I also love her card keywords. There's a variety of meaning but at the same time she's not all over the place. There's consistency there within the spectrum. Fourteen years later, this is still -- in my opinion -- one of the best beginner courses / books available.

Thank you, Joan Bunning, wherever you are!! :)