Being an Empowered Reader

SunVisionsTarot

Hello everyone, I am new to Aecletic Tarot so I want to share my knowledge!

Recently I have been focusing my energies on doing readings in a way that comes across more professional and clear. I'm learned a few simple methods that can change your whole tarot practice.

Here we go!

1.) Make sure you keep your cards in excellent condition. Plan on having the same deck of tarot cards for the rest of your life. Your cards are your tools, treat them like a baby. Cover them in silk put them in a special wooden or metal box, and make sure you read your cards on a cloth. This is also very key to presentation, and how you come across, your cards shouldn't have any etches or tears on them, because this take away from the divine randomness of the client shuffling the cards. They will not want to pick the torn up card most of the time.

2.) Plan on doing reading for an hour, If you have to rush through a 30 min. reading it will not be beneficial. You can go deeper with an hour long session.

3.) Before you start the session make sure your querent has a specific question or questions in mind, this way the querent can't complain that you didn't answer their question. The tarot is a specific tool, if you ask the tarot general advice it will give you a general answer, if you ask it specific advice it will give you a specific answer. Have them hone down which area of life they want to focus on; Love, career, finance, spiritual path, relationships, then have them hone that question down even further. For example if it were a relationship question then a question like 'what's blocking me in my relationships' or 'how can I improve my relationships' would be specific and effective.

4.) When giving a readings, make sure you are speaking at a pace the person can follow. Guide people along with the story of the cards. Read each card individually and in the end do a overview of all the cards together.

This simple advice will take you long way and will lead you to being a highly effective and empowered tarot reader. I suggest you experiment with these methods and report back to me!

Sincerly,

Tito L Ferdinand

nisaba

Hello everyone, I am new to Aecletic Tarot so I want to share my knowledge!
Welcome! New faces are always delightful.

Recently I have been focusing my energies on doing readings in a way that comes across more professional and clear. I'm learned a few simple methods that can change your whole tarot practice.
<smile> We all find what works for us, eventually. It's good to share, it's also good to acknowledge that what works for some people might not work for everyone.

1.) Make sure you keep your cards in excellent condition. Plan on having the same deck of tarot cards for the rest of your life.
They will start to look worn if you use them continually. Personally, I prefer a worn deck - it shows that it (and the reader) has been around the tracks.

I do plan on keeping all my decks for the rest of my life. but I have many decks. Some sittters prefer different styles of decks, and some decks do different kinds of work better than others. Variety also stops you, as the reader, going stale and repeating rote-meanings.

Your cards are your tools, treat them like a baby. Cover them in silk put them in a special wooden or metal box, and make sure you read your cards on a cloth. This is also very key to presentation, and how you come across, your cards shouldn't have any etches or tears on them, because this take away from the divine randomness of the client shuffling the cards. They will not want to pick the torn up card most of the time.
<grin> My cards are tools and I treat them as tools. Some are wrapped in tie-dyed silks where the colours of the silks match the tone of the deck - the favourites. Some are in bags. Some are even still in their original packaging. All of them work, and work well for me. (Your experience may differ).

2.) Plan on doing reading for an hour, If you have to rush through a 30 min. reading it will not be beneficial. You can go deeper with an hour long session.
When I read privately, I don't allocate any particular time-frame. When I read in a new-age shop (Wednesdays) or a café (Tuesdays) I have to stick to a half hour. The skill there, is identifying what is important and getting the important messages across.

Thank you for your words - I look forward to interacting with you here regularly.

Wardi7

I have to agree, a deck gains life as you use it. The more use, the more wrinkles. My favorite deck is 15 years old and it shows. I still get the best advice form it. I think, if I were reading professionally, I might replace it, but then I would have to start all over getting acquainted.

As for time frame, I've done detailed readings in under 30 and vague ones over. I think it depends on the feel of the session and the question.

Just my 2 cents.

SunVisionsTarot

Obviously we will have different methods, just like vedic and tropical astrology. Those who are empowered by this path will choose it, those who don't will choose a different path.

gregory

Obviously we will have different methods, just like vedic and tropical astrology. Those who are empowered by this path will choose it, those who don't will choose a different path.
What - the path of clean cards with a precise time frame and no general readings ? (seriously - I am confused here.)

Would you never agree to read for someone who just asks for a take on the situation surrounding them, in general ?

I've done VERY deep readings with one card in 15 minutes. I've also done readings where I had to let the cards sit for a few days. I can't see how one can fit everything into one set pattern. Circumstances and readings vary.

danieljuk

I like SunVisionsTarot's tips, they are useful!
the time one has made me think about my own readings. I don't do tarot professionally but I think sometimes I spend too much time on them. perhaps allocating a window of time like an hour to work on it, if it goes really deep I might need to add more but I do think I need to set time better for my reading work :)

celticnoodle

Welcome, SunVisionsTarot to A.T.

Its great if this method works for you, but I am much more like Nisaba and see my cards as mere tools. My decks are also with me for life, and I have my favorites that change from time to time. My current and most go to deck was a deck that was found in a second hand shop by one of my customers, who bought it as a gift for me when she saw it. It had great energy and seems to work very well for me. It is rather worn and in my opinion, quite beautiful. I don't wrap it in silk ever. None of my decks are. This particular deck is kept in its original packaging, which is well taped together due to the box falling apart with its age. :) For 'added' protection, so I won't lose the cards, I often use rubber bands around the cards and also around the closed box to hold them together and inside its box. Many of the cards are kept with rubber bands around them.

I can almost hear the gasps of many tarot collectors and owners. But, it works for me and see them as tools and treat them as such. I rarely time my readings either--but I do find I often will go over an hour on a reading with a customer unless I am reading in a shop and must adhere to a strict time schedule. I do what 'fits' for me. It works.

How long have you been reading tarot? I do hope to see more of your ideas around though. Its always good to share what works for you with others. Welcome again!

gregory

I like SunVisionsTarot's tips, they are useful!
the time one has made me think about my own readings. I don't do tarot professionally but I think sometimes I spend too much time on them. perhaps allocating a window of time like an hour to work on it, if it goes really deep I might need to add more but I do think I need to set time better for my reading work :)
I still can't see how clean cards will empower me. That kind of thinking is more likely to have me worrying about whether I need to wash my hands again, and avoiding reading on hot days on account of SWEAT and things like that.

ravenest

Dont worry Gregory ... just change all the 'you' s to ' I ' s and 'yours' to 'mine' in post # 1 and you wont have a problem or have to keep washing your hands.

SunVisionsTarot

Being An Empowered Reader Part 2

The second part of my thread goes like this.

1.) Know your worth. The amount of time, energy, resources and struggle it took to get where you are now in your practice is crucial. Charge what your worth. They don't know how many books you had to read, how many courses you had to take, how many nights you spent tossing and turning on whether this is something you should do as a profession or not. They really have no clue. (unless their friends or family and still!) Charge what your worth, for the work you do on this planet, so you can be stable and follow your passion!

2.) Your friends may want to pull cards every 10 seconds and have you make decisions for them all the time as their diviner. These are not healthy boundaries. Treating your practice just as seriously as being a doctor or therapist will ensure your professionalism. You can make a reasonable exchange with your friends for trade, or they can pay you at your rates. In some circumstances you can deem whether their circumstance is serious and they need your help, but still a grateful person afterward would attempt to compensate the person in some way.

This is my knowledge, my experience and my story. If this does not resonate with you, you do not have to follow it, this is my belief that has proved very effective. There are so many different paths on earth to take, for there to be any argument in the threads. If this resonates with you go with it, if not leave it. Thank you