Do any of you guys listen to music when you do readings for yourself?

velocitygirl

I sometimes play music quietly in the background. Mostly Enya, it helps me think better in the way that I need to, but sometimes if the mood strikes me I listen to Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.

I'm quite a beginner when it comes to Tarot, so do you think it's wrong to listen to music while you're reading? I really don't know, and I want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers.

elviefae

Hi Velocitygirl, it doesn't seem wrong to me. I think if it helps you then thats great. I like my Native American flute music tape so if that is already on then I will leave it on (sometimes I paint to that one). Its not distracting and I really enjoy it. But usually I don't have any music playing when I'm reading. I have one Enya CD thats pretty.

la-luna

Well if I’m reading for myself I have music playing (witch one is depending on my mood and considering I have a huge collection there are many possibilities, but mostly something like classical or jazz or atmospherical but it can also be something more “hard”).

But when reading for someone else I don’t I experienced it distracted them and irritated them when they didn’t like the music or where paying more attention to the music than to the reading when it was something they liked/loved.

Dwaas

When studying cards I play all kinds of music, from classic to even popular. It does not distract me and keeps other noices which do distract me outside. When reading for myself I sometimes put on a cd with oceansounds. Whales talking is wonderful accompanie for the story! But when reading for querents I don't want them to be distracted so then I prefer silence (although it never seems to be silent with these thin walls and noisy neighbours :) )

Blessings

sharpchick

A couple of CDs come to mind. . .

Loreena McKennitt's The Book of Secrets and David Arkenstone's The Celtic Book of Days.

rcb30872

I have the radio on, nothing fantastic.

Just something I am accustomed to, all the time I have spent studying at school and university, I was always playing either the radio, cassettes or CDs. Cassettes, before CDs came out, LOL :p. I found if I don't have the radio on, my mind wanders onto something more interesting, or just give up on the whole idea of studying, perhaps I should try reading for myself without the radio, never really tried it. More than likely I would start getting fidgety, and wander off to do something else!

Bec

Umbrae

Depends on the weather. Sometimes I listen to the music of the rain on the roof, other times I listen to the music of the moonlight reflecting off the grass.

I remember going down the Nile in a felucca…all the fellaheen sing as they go about their daily activates. Out here in the west, we’re plugged in, wired for sound, got them I-Pods and headphones and whatever…we’re not part of the music, but separate from it. And we ‘listen’ all the time…we don’t sing…we don’t lift up our voices in song (cuz it’ll disturb the person in the next cubicle) or (the driver in the next car will think I’m nutz)…

Anybody sing when they read?

Anybody listen to the music of the snow flakes?

Just a thought...

:smoker:

SunChariot

I don't usually play music while doing a reading, but I have on occasion had one of my tapes on of nature sounds: babbling brooks, birds, rain.....with a light music in the background... Actually, those readings went very well, I suppose as the idea of Tarot to me is to connect more to the universe.

I have only done it a few times though, it is not my norm.

Bar

SunChariot

sharpchick said:
A couple of CDs come to mind. . .

Loreena McKennitt's The Book of Secrets and David Arkenstone's The Celtic Book of Days.

OOh, I have that first one and I love it too. I could see how that would be cool for a Tarot reading.

Bar

Alta

Generally I find music distracting and prefer to read in a quiet environment.