Regular Old Playing Cards

DC_Hound

I don't really see an appropriate forum to post this...mods please move if necessary.

Does anyone on here read via regular playing cards, you know, basically modified tarot without Major Arcana? I just started trying to do this today...went to the store, saw a really cool purple deck of standard Bicycle playing cards, had to buy it...wow.

Prima facie, seems to work just as well as tarot. Asked a couple of questions, did 3-card spreads...asked and answered, just like with tarot cards.

I did print myself a "cheat sheet" of the RWS minor arcana in case I get a card and can't remember what suit it corresponds to, or what the card means... The deck came with 2 jokers, I pulled one out and I'm calling the other one "cosmic influence." ???

Does anyone else on here do this? What are your experiences with doing this?

rif

Try a search for "playing" or "poker" in the Oracles section, and you'll find a surprising amount of information. There are quite a variety of methods for how to read playing cards; you might be surprised! Of course, reading like tarot minors is a valid method. I'm glad you had fun with your new deck, it sounds cool; I haven't seen the purple one you describe.

DragonFae

Try searching cartomancy also....and yes I read using the playing cards and find them surprisingly accurate...although are tons of ideas about what the cards "mean"...so it can get confusing.

brothermakarias

Card Readings

I have been reading regular cards for many years and published two treatises on the subject, one of which was cited by a top professional in the reading world, Ron Martin, in his own monograph on the subject (Ron is an expert Tarot reader and Palmist and has published significant works in both fields). There is a lot of very good, free info on the web.

wytchwood

There is a FANTASTIC method I know of, let me find the link.....

http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

It is brilliantly thought out, easy to get the basics and doesn't rely on tarot pip meanings. Excellent! Hope you like it as much as I do, there's even a rhyming poem to help remember the basic rules!

DC_Hound

These were all great suggestions...thanks! I've been reading about Ron Martin for like the last half hour...fascinating.

I just did my first two playing card readings and am waiting on feedback to see how I did...thanks everyone!

MysticalMoose

wytchwood said:
There is a FANTASTIC method I know of, let me find the link.....

http://www.hedgewytchery.com/cartomancy.html

It is brilliantly thought out, easy to get the basics and doesn't rely on tarot pip meanings. Excellent! Hope you like it as much as I do, there's even a rhyming poem to help remember the basic rules!

What a great link, Thanks Wytchwood!! :) My Grandmother used to read with playing cards & this system seems quite like how she read with that square of 9, I have bookmarked it & will study more when I have had some some sleep :)

celticnoodle

DC_Hound, I started out by reading playing cards and then went to tarot. I've read the cards a variety of different ways, some I learned through web sites and some from books. I also did the same that you mentioned here, applying the same general accepted meaning to the playing cards for aces through Kings that is seen with the minors and courts in the RWS.

Recently, I have decided to bring my playing cards back out and get use to them again, as I had not touched them in so long. there are many AT'ers who do enjoy reading playing cards, and you'll find various websites or books mentioned by them/us if you do a search for 'cartomancy' on here, as already noted.

There is one member, Barbara Ahajusts on here who is very into reading w/playing cards--tho I haven't seen her about of late. she may be here, and I'm just not seeing her around--but you can also search for her name to find some of the threads she has posted on. many other members too, but her name sticks out for me on this reading method.