Which tarot deck was the most disappointing buy?

Le Fanu

oh god, the Llewellyn Vampyres.

I was egged on in the enabling thread I think - or maybe just the deck thread itself - and very much learnt my lesson on this one.

I never listen to what other people say now :D

It has substance (they said), it's Thoth-based (they said), it's really quite clever (they said).

Then it arrived and as I'm not 13 years old, it just meant nothing to me. A deck for pouting adolescent girls. Not me.

And it's about as Thoth-based as Miley Cyrus

Padma

And it's about as Thoth-based as Miley Cyrus

*Ahem* OT I know - But - One rather thinks that Crowley...would have approved of twerking in general, if not of Miley in particular.

:D

Sar

*Ahem* OT I know - But - One rather thinks that Crowley...would have approved of twerking in general, if not of Miley in particular.

:D

Crowley with have eaten her up for breakfast.

magpie9

My most recent Horrible & Expensive Mistake was the Gypsy Palace by Nora Huszka which I pre-ordered and breathlessly waited for. I found a wonderful gypsy deck bag and lovingly put it aside for the day the deck finally arrived, roughly a month later than advertised.

OMG, what a huge mistake. Normally I shrug these things off to the luck of the draw, but couldn't do it this time. I felt it was not at all as advertised. Not Gypsy at all. Instead, weird eastern European angst with no connection to any known tarot system, and altogether colorfully depressing.

What about, I wondered, the charming and vibrant video? What about the delightful cards featured in the video, instead of the soul-less depressing horrid meaningless cards that populate most of the deck? What about the implied promise of passion, excitement,mystery, music and dancing and porkypine stew for dinner? What about the sadly lacking gypsy soul? Hell, what about my money back?

So I expressed (very politely) some of my dissatisfaction in the advertising thread for the deck, and several others did too. The creator responded, essentially saying Hey, you got a Unique High-Quality Deck, you don't like it, too bad. I have since discovered that I can read with the thing, but it never has anything nice to say. It's depressed, an wants to spend all it's time lying on the fainting couch with a wet cloth on it's forehead. I don't know way I give it houseroom. I guess I hope it will recover someday, or else turn into the $100 bucks I blew on it.

VGimlet

Tarot of the Heroes. I thought it would be funny, and maybe campy, and at the worst I'd have a 'beefcake' deck to go with some of my funnier 'boobalicious' decks.

But it was just BAD. The CGI wasn't well excecuted, and most of the people looked dead, and not in a good, zombie silly way either.

Lately the Isomorphic and Seasonal Tarots, which aren't really true tarots at all, IMO. I had actual hopes for the seasonal, but...meh.

But I'm doing much better, I don't get so hung up by the hype, there are actually several newly released decks I'm not buying because I have finally figured out, a bit, what I want.

Darkmage

Lo Scarabeo's Dragon Tarot. I love dragons, so I bought this one with some Christmas money a few years back. It was a serious disappointment. The artwork was OK, but why were all the Queens full frontal nude women? That really wasn't necessary at all.

It got sold a while ago. I never saw it on the shelf, so I assume it either went home with an employee of the bookshop (they get first dibs, obviously) or it went home with someone else. I hope it found a good home--all it did in mine was collect dust.

Nina*

My most recent Horrible & Expensive Mistake was the Gypsy Palace by Nora Huszka which I pre-ordered and breathlessly waited for. I found a wonderful gypsy deck bag and lovingly put it aside for the day the deck finally arrived, roughly a month later than advertised.

OMG, what a huge mistake. Normally I shrug these things off to the luck of the draw, but couldn't do it this time. I felt it was not at all as advertised. Not Gypsy at all. Instead, weird eastern European angst with no connection to any known tarot system, and altogether colorfully depressing.

What about, I wondered, the charming and vibrant video? What about the delightful cards featured in the video, instead of the soul-less depressing horrid meaningless cards that populate most of the deck? What about the implied promise of passion, excitement,mystery, music and dancing and porkypine stew for dinner? What about the sadly lacking gypsy soul? Hell, what about my money back?

So I expressed (very politely) some of my dissatisfaction in the advertising thread for the deck, and several others did too. The creator responded, essentially saying Hey, you got a Unique High-Quality Deck, you don't like it, too bad. I have since discovered that I can read with the thing, but it never has anything nice to say. It's depressed, an wants to spend all it's time lying on the fainting couch with a wet cloth on it's forehead. I don't know way I give it houseroom. I guess I hope it will recover someday, or else turn into the $100 bucks I blew on it.

I agree with every word here, Magpie. Such a huge HUGE disappointment.

I even got two copies. ARGH!!!

Calcifer

The Wildwood was my first new deck in over 20 years - and it came and went at record speed. I just couldn't do anything with it. I followed that with DruidCraft and tried for months to get past the court cards it inevitably got gifted out to someone who loves it.

Michael

MissNine

Golden Tarot of the Renaissance.
I LOVE it for it's images, but I was so bummed when I got it because the cards are loosely related to RW, but the meanings are different in the suits. So, I have to find time to sit my busy ADD self down with the 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card Book (which I haven't yet done) and go CARD BY CARD and reflect to get this deck under control!

Otherwise, it's so darn pretty I just take it out and glance at it and am happy I have it. :)