Nicoletta Ceccoli's Tarot

lalalibra

I've been eyeing this upcoming deck myself for quite a while since I first noticed it in their catalogue. It's been on my wish list, but I haven't preordered since I would like to see more of it first. Her art is very beautiful, intriguing, and even perplexing at times. I find it has a certain darkness and creepiness too (in a good way), especially since she explores this whole theme of "innocense." It's very interesting! I love how dreamy and surreal it is. I'm so curious to see her art in the form of a Tarot.

GryffinSong

Sigh, another one for my wish list. Will this never end? LOL

Le Fanu

I do like this one. I have been watching it carefully. September seems so far away.

But that must be the first Lovers card I have ever seen with just one person on it.

Laura Borealis

I do like this one. I have been watching it carefully. September seems so far away.

But that must be the first Lovers card I have ever seen with just one person on it.

It's an interspecies relationship.

Le Fanu

I thought it was because of the growth of ego in early 21st Century life.

Because everything - even love - is all about me. Who said you need involve two people?

Lovers cards with two (or three) people in are so 15th Century.

Laura Borealis

:laugh: That's a good take on it.

On another topic, I'm a tiny bit wary about this one (though I love the art) because at least some of the cards are from her earlier work. And sometimes when decks are put together from already existing pieces, it can feel like the art was shoehorned into the tarot structure. You know what I mean? Such decks can still be meaningful of course, and also there's no reason we can't just enjoy the art, but sometimes they feel very cobbled-together and I hope that won't happen here.

An example of the already existing art - the Queen of Cups is from a painting called "Love Will Tear Us Apart". It is a pretty decent fit for the Queen of Cups though, and also it has been either repainted or digitally reworked to bring elements into the frame. If you compare you can see the sea serpents and ship have been made smaller and brought in closer, and the draping of her skirt behind her was pulled in.

I like that they've done this, as it shows they haven't just thrust horizontally-oriented paintings into a vertical frame and chopped off the edges (or rather, the edges *are* cut off, but the main elements of the painting aren't.) Nor have they just changed the aspect ratio, squishing the whole picture to make it fit (the sea serpent and boat are a little squished, but not the girl). This was clearly done with some care and attention. I wonder if Ceccoli did it herself or if LoS hired a digital artist to alter the art? (The original art is acrylic and graphite on paper, but the alterations appear digital to me.)

GlitterNova

I really enjoy the artwork of this deck, having seen it originally a while ago while browsing the LS site. Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to actually *read* with it. The images seem a bit devoid of any symbolism that really resonates with me. I think it'd work better as an oracle deck a la Jasmine Becket-Griffith. (although, on that note, JBG should totally make a tarot deck)

elinne

Wow! I just discovered this deck for the first time last night and... I think I'm in love!

This is just the sort of thing I think I have been looking for.. I feel like this deck would be perfect for me to do shadow-related work and exploration. Somehow the creepy cuteness gets me on the inside.

I've never pre-ordered a deck before, but I find myself very tempted with this one.

also_nothing

I really enjoy the artwork of this deck, having seen it originally a while ago while browsing the LS site. Unfortunately I don't think I'd be able to actually *read* with it. The images seem a bit devoid of any symbolism that really resonates with me.

I'm also quite torn on this deck. It's incredibly visually appealing, but that Magician! I am not feeling the right vibe at all.