decks I was wrong about - mea culpa ;)

Richard

decks I was wrong about

I was wrong about the Legacy of the Divine. I thought I might like it, but I hated it from the get-go. Mea culpa.

cardwitch

(Hello! This is my first proper post outside the new member thread :D)

For me it was the Tarot de Marseille. I used to think reading a deck with unillustrated pips was impossible, but after I learned how to read playing cards, I realized it was actually freeing and fun. Right now my lovely TdMs are my favorite decks.

Also I, too, after serious misgivings, have come to love the Deviant Moon.

Owl Song

My recent one is the Shadowscapes.

I thought it was a gorgeous deck with lots of wonderful fantasy symbolism to dig into. But I found the images too small to work with so I traded the deck away.

Recently, I re-bought it and I'm so glad I did. The card images ARE small. But it's forced me to take my time, slowly going through each card carefully. The enlarged black and white pictures in the book help as do the images online. When I lay the cards out in a reading, I know what I'm looking at because I've studied each card. It makes the details stand out and I haven't had any trouble working with the deck and giving readings. So far I've only read for myself with it as I want to continue to get to know it. It's a very special deck -- as deep as it is beautiful -- and I'm thrilled I've been able to give it another chance.

Morwenna

It looked scribbly and a bit "1970s birthday cards for 12 year olds"

I had jigsaw puzzles like that, from that time! :D (But I was definitely older than 12!)

My thing, way back when I was new at Tarot, was the Morgan Greer. One of the books I had used several decks to illustrate, and I was immediately taken by the MG. But somehow I failed to notice that the rounded corners on the pictures suggested that there were no borders. I had never seen, or heard of, a borderless deck before. Then I saw one in person at a dealer's table at a conference. And I freaked! It was months, maybe over a year (it's so long ago now that I can't remember), before I got over that. Once I got it home, however, it became my workhorse, and remained my main deck for years.

Now, of course, borderless decks are thick on the ground, and even more so here at AT where people routinely trim their decks (that'll NEVER happen to me!). But the feeling of the picture popping out and almost off the card was a big hurdle for me to get over! Now I take borderless decks in stride; the only borders I don't like are the artistic "frames" that are to me ugly (not all are by any means!). Or the arch-shaped ones on the Arthurian; for a favorite deck, that arched frame sucks! Still!