Professional tarot readers

NadaJ

Congratulations Barefoot Fool!!! How exciting! I hope to one day read professionally, but I realize I have too many caveats when I give readings, so I'm not ready to set up shop just yet. I'm thankful AT has so many willing volunteers for a newbie to practice giving readings.

nisaba

Congratulations Barefoot Fool!!! How exciting! I hope to one day read professionally, but I realize I have too many caveats when I give readings, so I'm not ready to set up shop just yet.

<warm smile> Time and self-confidence erode them away.

I didn't start looking for a public gig until I felt I could deal with any question I could imagine being thrown at me. :)

Hooked on TdM

SURPRISE!

I did! I did! I did! It was good fun. Today was my 2nd day. My brother got into an art fair and at the last minute, he asked if I wanted to join him & sell my tarot deck (The Tarot of the Absurd). So I said yes of course. He lives 6 hours from me and it's been the first 2 days in my life leaving my toddler with someone else (my mom) but I figured I have to start somewhere.

My goal, honestly, was to sell more decks, but I did a lot better doing readings than selling decks. I made a little (totally awesome) sign that says "Tarot Readings Here" and bought an hourglass-shaped sand timer. Personally, I don't want to talk to people too long, because my goal is actually to sell decks, so I'm only giving 5-minute readings. They cost 5 dollars. Some readings go longer, some go shorter, depending. Mostly I wanted an out if I got stuck with a real talker. I covered a folding card table with a piece of black cloth and put a nice silk scarf on top of that. It looked good. There was nothing to offend anyone except those people who are generally offended by tarot cards anyhow.

What I was really amazed about was my level of self-confidence, seeing as I've never read for anybody, not even friends. I was also amazed with the level of customer satisfaction I received. I made up my own method of reading that works for me. I know my cards inside and out and I'm comfortable with most any personality because I've spent an awful lot of time around weirdos. Like myself. There was only one person whom I felt I needed to turn down, tho honestly I would have done a reading for her if she would have been willing to pay for one. But she wanted to know who was sneaking into her house and steeling things, in particular whomever took those glasses for which she had to wait 9 months for medicaid to pay for, and I told her upfront I can't answer that kind of question. Maybe you can, I don't know, but I sure can't.

But Gregory, I've been looking for that thread and I can't find it. Whereat can it be? Because really I'm talking about myself here & I want selfishly to share my story with all sorts of tarot people who might pat me on the back (or tell me I'm a fool) & so I can love them all the more.

That sounds so fun! Way to go! :) I hope to have a first time like this someday!

re-pete-a

I've been told that the PRO TAROT thread has been combined with talking Tarot. As of last week or so...

Barefoot Fool

Thank you thank you, thank you thank you, thank you thank you. I now feel well-patted.

What I would like to share with misser piggit is dis:
You will never be ready for everything that comes your way in terms of human beings, but you can be ready in terms of your confidence in your relationship with the cards. I started with $5 for 5 minutes because I didn't want to deal with depth, but you'd never believe how deep things can get in the first five minutes and how hard it is to ask your client to please throw another fiver under the timer because time's up. The clientele are all humans with the regular human issues of health problems, relationship problems, money problems, and the like. I gave about 75 readings in my marathon 3-day stint as a reader and I can say I'm thoroughly exhausted and continually impressed with the variety of people who came my way. I met some wonderful, beautiful, sad people.

But I have to share the most ridiculous, because I'm sure you'll get one like this:
There was a guy who came in with some questions about humanity in general that I knew right away were just complaints. The first one, I said I couldn't answer. The second I agreed to do a reading. Immediately he started talking and just would not stop! I could not follow a thing he said, and just sort of stared at the cards and glanced at the timer thinking time was running out. Finally, sometime when he was talking about something about Caesar, I said, "I don't want to hear about Caesar." He was kinda shocked and said, "Why not?" I said, "Caesar's dead. I'm not doing a reading for Caesar. I'm doing a reading for you." Then I had to quickly do the sort of reading he needed to hear and luckily my brother was there to tell me there was a line waiting. The man checked the timer to make sure he got his money's worth, which he did, at least two times over, and I thought it was all quite ironic because his question had to do with why people are so greedy. My mom thought it was a funny story when I told her about him and that really he was just paying to sit there and talk to a pretty woman. (My mom will always think I'm pretty, bless her heart.)

I hope, Misser Piggit, that you get as much pleasure out of reading to people as I have when you suddenly find yourself ready to take that first step. And I hope you still are reading this thread. You asked a fun question. And really, I'd like to hear stories of "my first paid readings." Everybody does differently. Find your own path, do things your own way, and do it with confidence.

I would love love love to hear your stories of taking that first step. And advice! Everything and anything you want to share :) mainly I'm thinking on where do you read? Do you charge? How's the clientele? What got you going in that direction? What about your general education level? & tarot education?

celticnoodle

Congratulations, Barefoot Fool!!!

and that is a funny story. I remember you live in Vermont and I know we had hoped to get together when I was living up there, but alas, it never came to be and we moved home to NY again - Finger lakes area. :( Maybe one day when I am up there visiting though, perhaps, as I do get up there about once or twice a year. I'd LOVE to meet you in person.

so, **PAT**~*PAT*~*PAT** on your back--you deserve it! way to go!

and, that story about the guy was funny. :laugh: Be prepared--you'll get a lot more like him! trust me! But, you handled him like a professional! :thumbsup:

Hello forum!

Well I'm here at my retail job and being annoyed with the general lack of leadership and respect. So...tarot readers, how many of you have gone on from self-readings to reading for general public?

I would love love love to hear your stories of taking that first step. And advice! Everything and anything you want to share :) mainly I'm thinking on where do you read? Do you charge? How's the clientele? What got you going in that direction? What about your general education level? & tarot education?

Thanks for sharing :) i will be back in about an hour to share mine too :) but i haven't taken that step yet

You know, I can't recall my 'first' payed reading at all. Not right now anyway. But, I remember how excited I was when I found a position reading in a store setting, as I knew that would bring about a larger clientelle for me (it did) and it just sounded really exciting. I loved reading in the store.

I walked into the New Age shop to inquire about the Vermont laws for tarot reading. figured the owner could point me in the right direction--since in NY, you had to have a business license to do so. She was shocked to learn about that and asked me to read for her employee. (I came to find out that the owner NEVER has her cards read--which I find to be funny now, considering she owns the shop!) I read for the employee and she was quite impressed with the reading and came out and told the owner that who looked at me and offered me a job on the spot! I wasn't looking for a job there--just inquiring about the laws. At the time, there was a tarot reader, who was also psychic there reading in the store. He had worked for this shop for many years, and after I left, she asked him, "What do you think about her? What are your vibes on her?" And, he told her, "Hire her. She'll be great. She has good energy!" :D (I found this out months after I started working there too). I did build up my clientelle list while there, and worked for about 2yrs. there reading. The store owner and I became fast friends, and though she still will not let anyone, including me read the cards for her, she told me she always has a spot for me if I ever want to come back there and work--even if I'm only there for one day a year. :D

It was great fun. Not very great for me financially, because I would spend my paycheck (payed well there) on things in the store--but what fun!!! :D

I am pretty much self taught, though I did take a one day card reading class with my friend.

Its pretty much like on here when you offer readings for feedback only-save the fact that you RARELY get feedback from your customers. The only type of feedback you get is if they come back to you for another reading. Then you KNOW you must have done well before! And, especially if they ask for you by name- when they call to reserve a reading.

Probably the best feedback I ever had and still can recall was when I read for a woman who failed to tell me before the reading that she was a professional reader who refuses to read for herself. She told me afterwards (and I was a bit surprised and then worried), and she took my card because she told me it was the best reading she had ever gotten from another reader. Made my day!

You do get stinkers too though. People who are addicted to getting readings and remember every reading you ever gave to them word by word and will even begin to recite what you said in a reading for them 3 mos. ago, 6 mos. ago, a year or two ago. :rolleyes: THOSE are the scary customers....and thankfully few and far between.

Grizabella

celticnoodle said:
You do get stinkers too though. People who are addicted to getting readings and remember every reading you ever gave to them word by word and will even begin to recite what you said in a reading for them 3 mos. ago, 6 mos. ago, a year or two ago. :rolleyes: THOSE are the scary customers....and thankfully few and far between.

They usually don't seem to grasp that we do tons of readings and don't remember 99.9% of them. It's nothing derogatory about them as sitters, but we just can't keep that many readings on file in our brains. Besides that, I don't think we're supposed to remember most of our readings.

Barefoot Fool

...I remember you live in Vermont and I know we had hoped to get together when I was living up there, but alas, it never came to be and we moved home to NY again - Finger lakes area... I'd LOVE to meet you in person.

I would love to meet you in person, too. I don't live so far from where you used to work; about 30 min. north of where you used to live, if I recall correctly. PM me if you come this way. I will throw you a party. (A very tiny party, but nonetheless...)

I walked into the New Age shop to inquire about the Vermont laws for tarot reading. figured the owner could point me in the right direction--since in NY, you had to have a business license to do so. She was shocked to learn about that and asked me to read for her employee... I read for the employee and she was quite impressed with the reading and came out and told the owner that who looked at me and offered me a job on the spot! ... At the time, there was a tarot reader, who was also psychic there reading in the store. He had worked for this shop for many years, and after I left, she asked him, "What do you think about her? What are your vibes on her?" And, he told her, "Hire her. She'll be great. She has good energy!"

That is an awesome story. I'm totally self-taught, & I don't have any friends who have anything to do with tarot. (It could be due to the fact that I'm insanely introverted.)

I walk by that store a lot, but I'm not much of a consumer, so I don't go in (not since I was looking for you), because I don't like just going in a store and poking around and not buying anything. Maybe I should go in and get a reading... Can you recommend a reader? :)

Seriously. I've gotten one reading once, as a celebration of opening a show, slightly before I published my deck. The woman was a total quack. She offered a half-deck reading for $20 & a full-deck reading for $40. For her reading she basically slapped the cards down one after another as fast as possible without looking at them while reciting some pretty pat stuff about love and faraway trips and other stuff she expected people might want to hear. At the end I asked her what her method was for reading (I'd never heard of anything like it, so I was curious.) She said that her mother had the gift for the craft and that she has the gift, too. I asked what would be her method for doing a one card reading (again, I was curious) and she looked at me like I had three heads. So I pulled a random card and asked what it meant to her. She basically said it didn't mean anything to her. I mean, she really acted in every way as if she knew nothing. Then she tried to sell me a follow-up meditation and some rituals to try to work on my issues. I wasn't really feeling as if I had any issues, and she hadn't brought any up, and I hadn't gotten a useful thing from her yet, so I didn't bite.

But you do bring up a good point about finding out what the laws are in a state before you start reading. Which is too late for me, because I did my 3-day tarot reading stint in NY (Syracuse), which was obviously totally illegal. Oops.

I was really pretty nervous about reading for people who were readers, because I feel as if I'm just so different in terms of what I do. I mean, I think. I don't do spreads. I read cards slowly, until they're done telling me what they have to say. I'd tell people up front what kinds of questions I can and cannot answer, and that I basically just talk about the question in terms of the cards that come up. I don't tell futures, per se. So you can say I don't do tarot readings, if you like. But people were generally very happy with the way I communicated through the cards (well, there was this one woman who wanted me to say that she was going to have a happy-ever-after love life, but it honestly wasn't there; she had too many other issues) and most readings felt complete as they could be for the time given.

But of course I could be wrong about everything...