Tarot for Ancestor Work

celticnoodle

Major: The Lovers
Ok, so.....hmmm. This one has me a bit stuck. The phrase that eventually came to mind was "related by marriage". This would be true for my uncle, as we are related by marriage, not blood. But then, does this mean he is not truly my ancestor? He does visit my dreams more often than any of my blood kin!

I will have to think on this for a bit. I don't want to force meanings to fit just because I think this may be my uncle. Off to ponder.....

no. of course he is your ancestor! He is part of your family. Very good that you were able to see it definitely as he. Also, I like that the Lovers card got you to "related by marriage". That was a very good thought and I can see that. :thumbsup:

conurelover

With the Mary-El I drew Knight of Disks on my mother's side. For those of you that don't know this deck the Knight of Disks is a 5 year old boy. They are on quests...hmmmm.....

Then I drew, ready for this?

Death.

How do you influence me? High Priestess.

What can I learn from you? The Devil

How can I honor you? The World.

A spread full of Majors!

I will have to think who this is. He is definitely telling me to be smart and avoid temptation/evil. I thought the High Priestess card had an incredibly interesting position.

RiverRunsDeep

no. of course he is your ancestor! He is part of your family. Very good that you were able to see it definitely as he. Also, I like that the Lovers card got you to "related by marriage". That was a very good thought and I can see that. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback, celticnoodle!

With the Mary-El I drew Knight of Disks on my mother's side. For those of you that don't know this deck the Knight of Disks is a 5 year old boy. They are on quests...hmmmm.....

Then I drew, ready for this?

Death.

How do you influence me? High Priestess.

What can I learn from you? The Devil

How can I honor you? The World.

A spread full of Majors!

I will have to think who this is. He is definitely telling me to be smart and avoid temptation/evil. I thought the High Priestess card had an incredibly interesting position.

Wow, all those majors. This ancestor means business! I'm curious to find out who you think this is.

RiverRunsDeep

So I'm continuing with the idea that this is my paternal uncle. I drew the next couple of cards:

Tell me about a memorable day in your life: The Sun

How do you affect or influence me: King of Pentacles

The Sun makes me think of my uncle's vacations to warm, sunny places. His son lived in Hawaii, so he traveled there often as well. He loved those trips! Those were great "family" times for him.

In the Ghost Tarot, the King of Pentacles is "The Spirit of the Father". This makes me think of my uncle as a benevolent guardian, watching over me.

Btw, I am so glad I chose the Ghost Tarot for this ancestor work! It's not a deck I would normally use often, as it is rather melancholy. But for making contact with ancestors, it really seems to speak!

conurelover

Thanks for the feedback, celticnoodle!

Wow, all those majors. This ancestor means business! I'm curious to find out who you think this is.

I am having trouble deciding between two of my mother's ancestors. 1. Her great grandfather that traveled all around the Midwest US when he first got the United States. He was only 20 (young) and he lived with Comanches for almost a year. 2. Her grandfather who made a mistake when he chose his profession in back in the old country when he was 20. It affected his whole life. I believe he was always running from it because he never stayed in one place for more than 2 years and constantly moved his family...

I may come back with more about this ancestor later today.

Samweiss

I did reading asking who's the Queen of Wands I got earlier, and it wasn't the most direct answer as I got 3 court cards. Page of Pentacles, King of Cups and Knight of Wands. By the way, the way I do 3-card spreads is that the middle card is the answer to the question at hand, and the surrounding cards add meaning to that card. I don't use Past - Present - Future spread, but sometimes that sort of theme can be present.

Also, something interesting happened when I visited my mother few days ago. She started suddenly speak about her grandparents and relatives from her childhood, which is quite unusual for my mother because her childhood wasn't exactly the most happiest. But it was interesting to hear her stories.

celticnoodle

forgot to post yesterdays card:

Day 3: How do you affect or influence me? 9 pentacles

He helps me to feel secure and well taken care of.

Now, once again, this would make me think of my maternal auntie, or even my own father, fil or mil. I have a habit of always calling on these 4 people to help me/us/our daughter when needed. I always refer to them as the "Fab four" because I know they are always very close to us. I often see/feel them, and they always show up when I have psychic readings done for me. So, once again, going back to question #1 doesn't quite make sense again as to the 'whom' it is. I really think it is one of these 4. All four did travel extensively in their lives. Both my dad and my fil were in the military--and lived in other countries, my aunts husband was also in the military, though auntie didn't move outside of the U.S., she did move around in the U.S. with him. So, I'm thinking I'm contacting one of "the fab four". :D all four of these people help myself and my hubby and our daughter a lot.

Day 4: What is your message for me? 4 Pentacles.

So, don't be greedy. :confused: Not sure where this is coming from, as my husband and I are never greedy and have helped every one who comes our way asking for such help, or when they are in obvious need. We also donate money to various places who depend upon donations each month, so, I decided to also draw a 2nd card on this for some clarification.

The Hierophant. aha! Well, the cards together, I can understand, I think...I was born and raised Catholic, and a few years ago, stopped attending Mass. Thus, I'm also not giving anymore money to the Church either. I am sure both my father and my maternal aunt are upset with me not being involved in the Church anymore. I use to also work for the Church--both as an employee and as a volunteer in many areas, which my family was always happy about. However, I just don't 'feel' it anymore--and have instead become a bit disillusioned with the Church for the most part. Part of me misses it--part of me does not.

So, day 3 and 4 together make more sense to me, now. I am sure the card is one of the fab four--and if it is on my paternal side--its my own father.

(hope he is pleased, that yesterday I did decide to go back to Church--and did so, :laugh:) Not sure it'll be a weekly thing for me--but perhaps I'll go now and again.

makes perfect sense that it is dad to me. :D

RiverRunsDeep

Here are my last two cards for the spread:

What is your message for me? Ace of Swords.
Well, this is a strong, clear message for me. I've been wallowing about in my own misery for a while now for various reasons, and this card tells me it's time to "cut" the crap. :p

How can I honor you? 7 of wands.
This is interesting. The Ghost Tarot 7 of wands shows a figure fending off a gang of apparitions with his wand. Is my uncle suggesting that I should stick with him for now, and not try to connect with other spirits? Maybe he has more to tell me before I attempt any further ancestor work.

celticnoodle

I am going to just do the 2 cards left today, because it's late and I am just getting the chance to do it and tomorrow is going to be a very busy day for me again. So here we go:

Day 4: What is your message for me? Knight of Wands

:p I think dad saw me go to Church Sunday. He considers that a victory, I guess. :laugh: boy, he always was a funny guy. But really, his message for me is victory. My victory? His victory? Who's victory? Though, being the knight, it can also indicate travel--and knowing this knight I often see it as traveling far/traveling home. Well, I do have both coming up in May. I am traveling home to visit family for Mothers Day weekend and then hub & I are going away a week later for another traveling adventure.

Day 5: How can I honour you? 10 cups. Happy Family. Well, my family and I don't exactly get along well, though I know it was always his wish we did....so perhaps he IS talking about my planned trip home to visit the family. Now, I hope he will also be there in spirit, to help keep everyone happy--please, dad!

I'm more then convinced now that my 'ancestor' wasn't so far back and is indeed my dad. :) I'm glad he came through for me. I miss him a lot. I'll start again maybe on Thursday with hopes of getting yet another ancestor. :)

This was fun and interesting! so glad you started this, Chrystella.

conurelover

Okay I like this idea of not pulling all the cards on one day. I am starting this new way tomorrow.