Paper Rider- Waite Smith Deck

Minnie

A Friend of mine passed away recently and i was given her Rider -Waite tarot cards as a keepsake and they have a paper feel to them,( as i have many Rider -Waite decks and they all have a glossy feel to them so i noticed this straight away) .They have US games 1971 printed in really small print on the side and they have the blue and black plaid design on the back . I am very intersted in how old they might be , i would really appreaciate anyones insight on this .

Many thanks in advance Minnie

AJ

Sounds like a scanned deck printed on paper of choice?

Do you have some images for us?

rwcarter

Does the deck have a LWB with it? The copyrights appeared with the 16th printing of the LWB, which was in the late 70s or early 80s. Those decks don't have the high gloss the current editions of the RWS do. So if it has a more papery and less varnish-like feel to it, it's probably from that time period. But it's difficult to date the deck exactly.

Minnie

Sounds like a scanned deck printed on paper of choice?

Do you have some images for us?

Thanks for your insight but i feel they haven't been scannned they have a really old feel to them . I can take some images, can you tell me how i upload them here on the thread ?

Minnie

Does the deck have a LWB with it? The copyrights appeared with the 16th printing of the LWB, which was in the late 70s or early 80s. Those decks don't have the high gloss the current editions of the RWS do. So if it has a more papery and less varnish-like feel to it, it's probably from that time period. But it's difficult to date the deck exactly.

The cards are exactly how you describe , . I know that she was learning tarot in the 90s but she never took it up as in doing readings for others so to speak, but this deck is very worn in so i do feel she could have had them alot longer .Unfortunatley i dont have the LWB or box they were given to me in a velvet bag . Thanks i really appreaciate your insight on this .

Abrac

Some of the finishes on RWS decks I've handled from early to mid 80s are pretty inconsistent. Some do have a very "papery" feeling. It's almost like they have no lamination at all. I think US Games might have been experimenting with different finishes then.

rwcarter

Thanks for your insight but i feel they haven't been scannned they have a really old feel to them . I can take some images, can you tell me how i upload them here on the thread ?

Only Subscribers have the ability to attach images into their posts. Others will need to use an image hosting site and link to the images that way.

Minnie

Some of the finishes on RWS decks I've handled from early to mid 80s are pretty inconsistent. Some do have a very "papery" feeling. It's almost like they have no lamination at all. I think US Games might have been experimenting with different finishes then.

This is exactly how they feel no lamnination at all .

Minnie

Only Subscribers have the ability to attach images into their posts. Others will need to use an image hosting site and link to the images that way.

Oh ok thanks it is a a shame as i would have liked to post them here.

Laura Borealis

You can put the pictures on an image hosting site, like Flickr, Photobucket, or Picasa; if you have a Facebook, you can put them there (just make sure to make them public so everyone can see them). Then you can post the link here. That is if you feel like going to the trouble. :)