Numbers on the Sun and Moon cards?

Cartomancer

I have a question about the Sun and Moon card numbering mentioned here:
Warning: VERY long post :-D

... Combine this the images of the Sun card that were published in the Occult Review in December 1909 (where the Sun card actually has a wrong number XVIII, ...

In the December 1909 Occult Review the Sun card had number XVIII.
Did the Moon card have the number XIX ?

roppo

Hi Cartomancer,

The Occult Review December 1909 issue has the following drawings.

Major : The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, and The Sun.
Minor: Six of Wands, King of Wands
: Five of Cups Queen of Cups.
: Eight of Swords, Nine of Swords, Knight of Swords.
: Eight of Pentacles, Page of Pentacles.

We don't know what number the Moon had originally. I'm guessing the original Moon that Pamela Colman Smith drew had no number inside the frame. The number XVIII we see today on The Moon is so clumsily put on the rays. I don't think it was done by Pamela (she was not that bad), and together with the "XVIII SUN" we can surmise these retouchings were made by someone else.

Cartomancer

Hi Cartomancer,

The Occult Review December 1909 issue has the following drawings.

Major : The Fool, The Magician, The High Priestess, and The Sun.
Minor: Six of Wands, King of Wands
: Five of Cups Queen of Cups.
: Eight of Swords, Nine of Swords, Knight of Swords.
: Eight of Pentacles, Page of Pentacles.

We don't know what number the Moon had originally. I'm guessing the original Moon that Pamela Colman Smith drew had no number inside the frame. The number XVIII we see today on The Moon is so clumsily put on the rays. I don't think it was done by Pamela (she was not that bad), and together with the "XVIII SUN" we can surmise these retouchings were made by someone else.

Thanks Roppo,
I am working on a theory that the Sun and Moon card could be interchanged, but don't have evidence for that in earlier decks. "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" has the Sun as number 19 and the Moon as number 18. See this thread for my theory of how the tarot relates to the alphabet:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=27568&page=6