Update list on the Early Rider Waite decks

truelighth

Hello everyone,

I thought I would just give a quick update on this project of mine. I haven't had much time the spend on it the last two weeks. But the initial start already yielded a lot of information and a lot of people have answered and are participating.

Just a quick update: I am collecting information on all the early RWS decks that are out there in the world and the owners.
I am registering the version of Pam deck, the box and if the key came with the deck and what date it would be. And if possible the condition of the deck.

I have decided that when I bring out the results, I will not include the names of the owners. Just the information on the decks.

So far, I have 39 confirmed Early RWS decks.

Among which there are:
4 Pam-Roses&Lilies
8 Pam-A (crackled back)
15 Pam-B
7 Pam-C
9 Pam-D

I am still trying to get in touch with a few people to confirm their information. So I have not added that to the list I presented so far.

It is really interesting and gives a lot of insights. Especially the boxes give more information, which I will share given time.

Till next update.

And if anyone knows someone who owns a early RWS, please ask them to contact me and share the information. Thanks!

kenji

Early RWS in museums

Beinecke Library of Yale University has one.
http://brbl-legacy.library.yale.edu/carycards/default.asp
Enter 'ENG38' in the'Catalog Number' field in the ADVANCED SEARCH.

It is surely Pam-B or Pam-C.

1072302.jpg

1072303.jpg

1072304.jpg

And according to Richard Cavendish's book 'THE TAROT', it seems the Victoria and Albert Museum in London has a pack of Pam-C. (See THE SUN image on p135.)

truelighth

Thanks Kenji!

I actually did look into the packs in musea as well, since Frank Jensen's article in Manteia Courier mentioned them. I have contacted several the Guildhall Library, Beinecke Library and the Victoria and Albert Museum, but yet need to hear back from them.

I couldn't figure out how to work the searching machines on their sites. But I guess I can at least confirm that the Beinecke Library owns a Pam-B deck, as was listed in the article. They should also have a Pam-D, but the images you showed are definitely Pam-B.

Maybe I will try and have another go at the search function again :D.

truelighth

I searched the Beinecke Library for the RWS decks they had as I said I would. Indeed, ENG38 is Pam-B or C. But since the article from Manteia Courier mentioned they had a Pam-B, I assume it is a Pam-B.

However, as for the Pam-D. I went through their database, but found no trace of a Pam-D. I did find a yellow DeLaurence with the white back and square corners from 1914 (ENG37). So it could be that maybe there was a mix-up. At the time of the original article, the yellow DeLaurence was called the Pam-E.

Anyway, as of yet, no Pam-D at the Beinecke Library. But it is great having a look through that playing card library... :).

truelighth

Hi truelighth,

here are two images that may interest you.
One is the bottom of my Pam-B box which shows (faintly) the prices of Cards & Key.
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/46/14/8597962d892c5a06ebb2f747430ab1a2.jpg

And the other is...a kind of 'spin-off' which appeared in my country in 1930.
(I am sure you know where to look at.;))
http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image...a.jpg?random=f044def9eb8ac6f3e3eea34b180eae79

Thanks Kenji,

Interesting indeed. And yes, I do know where to look at... the squiggly line has suddenly become straight :bugeyed:. That was printed in your country in 1930, you say? So another early clone and I didn't know about it. If you ever find another copy... :D.