trouble with deck/spirit

Barleywine

I believe this deserves a separate consideration as it is perhaps the real gist of what this issue is about: and that is imbuing a deck of cards with an autonomous energy of its own. It is, indeed, a legitimate assumption that an energy exists between two poles....but where that energy resides is of utmost importance lest we hypnotize ourselves into the primitive danger of what Levy Bruhl called "participation mystique." It is what I would term in it's most basic meaning as "voodoo." When one embues an object, such as a doll or a deck of cards, with an autonomous power and then we toy with that power, an erroneous assumption aligns itself with our own psyche and we begin to believe in it. Our literature is, of course, filled with such plots of the imagination. The significant point of departure from logic is in assuming the energy resides in a fixed location such as the reader or the cards, which might fall under the category of "hubris".... a fatal error.....as all the perennial philosophies have not failed to point out. One might find a modern analogy in my imbuing my telephone receiver with a magic power of its own.

This got me thinking about "sympathetic magic," and the following link also mentions "participation mystique."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_magic

Ruby Jewel

This got me thinking about "sympathetic magic," and the following link also mentions "participation mystique."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_magic

Hi Barleywine. Thanks for the link. I had not heard the term "sympathetic magic" before, but it is very similar to "participation mystique".... for sure it is all real as we see in much of our rituals such as the old "tent meetings" as portrayed in "Elmer Gantry". I attended a few of those when I was a child back in Modesto, California...they claimed to "heal" people. Sure didn't work with my cousin....a big farce. We also see this concept in feverish religious extremes. It is just amazing how we can hypnotize ourselves. There is nothing spiritual in this....believing in magic is the obsession we see depicted in the Devil card.