Ciro Marchetti Marseille-Inspired Deck

danieljuk

Ciro posted the name of the new deck and an image for it's logo in the last 24 hours on his Facebook. I asked him permission if I could post it here and he has said it is okay. The logo and style of it is attached and the deck will be called Tarot Decoratif.

He posted this with the deck image "Sometime in the future......A mixture of Marseilles symbolism, Art Deco style and personal "je ne sais quoi". The image and logo gives an idea of the style and theme.

I am looking forwards to this but like all his decks, it's not going to be a straight traditional faithful Marseilles, it will be his style in the Art Deco theme! I think this project has just started though and no card images but this logo officially yet! can't wait :)

ETA: posted at the same time as him :)

Attachments

• 10363789_10153741527448751_708803209137206535_n.jpg
    10363789_10153741527448751_708803209137206535_n.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 317

cirom

I'm receiving e-mails and FB messages about this thread, so to clear up some points. First of all thank you all for your interest in this project, but to confirm what Gregory indicated earlier. The cards being commented on were NOT anything to do with this project, those cards were not produced to simulate, or represent Marseilles pips, in fact they were never actually produced in any physical form at all. I placed those cards on FaceBook a few days ago as a fun magic animated gif, thats all. Some people there jumped to conclusions and assumed that they were a sneak peek of the minors of the new project. But that is not the case. With that said I can say that the new project will have "less illustrated" Marseilles styled pips, with "touches" as well as the suit elements, but not fully illustrated RW pips. So no, they wont have human figures....

Actually I started this project around November of last year, sketches, ideas, along with sketches and ideas thrown out, re done re considered, tweaked ....the usual. So numerous cards are in various stages of completion

nicky

So what's everyone's thoughts on Ciros announcement?

My thought is that it will be a glossy soulless deck like the other ones - is that ok for me to say here?

Michellehihi

My thought is that it will be a glossy soulless deck like the other ones - is that ok for me to say here?

ETA I wanted to say that I do not like this artwork, but tastes are different for everybody.

cirom

Yes Nicky I'm sure its ok for your to say so. Especially here on AT, in fact I expected such comments from you. But i thought you'd wait at least until you'd seen one card before throwing the barbs. Truth be told its one of the reasons I avoided making any reference to this project here on AT, but someone else started the thread.
My soulless decks as you describe them, that you used to collect and praise so highly until our personal unrelated misunderstanding. Which was I emphasize a "misunderstanding",(ask Rana) nevertheless the intensity of your ability to bare a grudge is truly outstanding, and honestly saddens me, I had hoped that time would have softened your animosity, apparently not.

I don't want to fight with you any more, I really don't. As such i will stick to my decision to not post any images here, I will do so on FB because some people are genuinely interested, and yes because its a safer environment. Forgive me if that makes me an oversensitive prima donna in your eyes, but we both know this is'nt really about my decks. But i don't have the stomach for more conflict. I just do what i do, if people genuinely dislike it and find it soulless, or just because they like to bait, it doesn't matter now. Unlike death and taxes, my decks are not obligatory. I genuinely wish you and Edmund well, the past is the past...really....

gregory

Sure it is. But it really is wearing a bit thin. It's a shame you can't set up an autoresponse for every post you see by or about Ciro.

I hope not.
Well, as I don't think the others ARE soulless (glossy refers to cardstock, for me) I doubt it.

What a shame those of us who will not do FB have to miss out because of this crap. :(

nicky

Yes Nicky I'm sure its ok for your to say so. Especially here on AT, in fact I expected such comments from you. But i thought you'd wait at least until you'd seen one card before throwing the barbs. Truth be told its one of the reasons I avoided making any reference to this project here on AT, but someone else started the thread.
My soulless decks as you describe them, that you used to collect and praise so highly until our personal unrelated misunderstanding. Which was I emphasize a "misunderstanding",(ask Rana) nevertheless the intensity of your ability to bare a grudge is truly outstanding, and honestly saddens me, I had hoped that time would have softened your animosity, apparently not.

I don't want to fight with you any more, I really don't. As such i will stick to my decision to not post any images here, I will do so on FB because some people are genuinely interested, and yes because its a safer environment. Forgive me if that makes me an oversensitive prima donna in your eyes, but we both know this is'nt really about my decks. But i don't have the stomach for more conflict. I just do what i do, if people genuinely dislike it and find it soulless, or just because they like to bait, it doesn't matter now. Unlike death and taxes, my decks are not obligatory. I genuinely wish you and Edmund well, the past is the past...really....

This is me posting - not Edmund- and I honestly wish you well - I know you have many admirers who will purchase and love your deck. I find CGI glossy decks soulless - this is not a vendetta but my opinion. I would be interested to see the response to that type of deck in the TdM and History forums ...

Nicky

FaintlyMacabre

Sure it is. But it really is wearing a bit thin. It's a shame you can't set up an autoresponse for every post you see by or about Ciro.

Well, as I don't think the others ARE soulless (glossy refers to cardstock, for me) I doubt it.

What a shame those of us who will not do FB have to miss out because of this crap. :(

Actually I was referring to the appropriateness of the comment. I was not "pre-criticizing" the deck. I had taken a look at Ciro's FB page and enjoyed what was there (just didn't find any Marseille).

Diana

cirom

This is me posting - not Edmund- and I honestly wish you well - I know you have many admirers who will purchase and love your deck. I find CGI glossy decks soulless - this is not a vendetta but my opinion. I would be interested to see the response to that type of deck in the TdM and History forums ...

Nicky

Yes I'm aware its you not Edmund, the avatar was clue :) Forgive me if I find your well wishes and claims of it not being a vendetta a little hard to believe based on many of your posts in the past, but i welcome them nevertheless. As for the soulless glossy nature of CGI decks, thats a very sweeping description of an entire medium which covers a myriad of styles, but so be it, its a common dismissal that many people express.. Although I distinctly remember you liking the Tod and Legacy at one point...

Regarding your interest in any future response to this deck as and when its released, yes I'd like to think that some will like it, and I'm sure that some will of course dislike it, such is the nature of the subjective response to tarot decks. But the point i would like to re-emphasise, and one which clearly is not fully understood here, is that I don't describe this as a Marseilles deck, I see it just as a new deck which like it or not will be in my style....but which hopefully can be "read" as a Marseilles deck, because it will adhere to Marseilles symbolism and structure. For what its worth, so that its not prematurely dismissed as yet more Marchetti shallow eye candy, I contacted and requested and am receiving the advise, cooperation and input from an eclectic group of Marseilles experts so that I can try to do justice to the project.. But with that said i'm still not sure that it would even belong in any TdM forum. That would be a hiding to nothing with comparisons to something I don't consider it to be. If people want Tarot de Marseilles decks, they have the real classic ones and of course some very beautiful contemporary reworking of them, which i'm sure your'e familiar with.